• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Training help!

wench

Young Bun
Hello, after helping the beautiful Crystal over Rainbow Bridge. It felt empty with no bunnies in my life, I have always adopted and I decided I should offer a home to two rabbits. Crystal had lived on her own for a number of years after losing her husband 'Winston' and despite bonding attempts she had clearly decided Winston was the only man for her. I have recently adopted a father and son duo from a rescue (still to be named). They are estimated to be about 3 or 4 years old and from a hoarding situation so still very timid. They have a large hutch with run attached and then every afternoon I let them out into the bunny proofed garden as I did with Crystal. Crystal was trained when I shouted 'in' and pointed she would go into her hutch/run, effectively putting herself away for the night. My problem is how to train my new duo to do this. As they are timid I don't want to shout or clap my hands as this scares them. At the moment bedtime is chaos as understandably they don't understand what I'm asking them to do and just panic running in different directions . Does anyone have any suggestions in how I can gently encourage both bunnies into their house at night!

I'd try getting them used to treats at coming in time. Make sure they know their treat tin or packet (a few nuggets would work fine ) visually & by sound. Food is normally the best motivator with rabbits. Good luck

I'd try getting them used to treats at coming in time. Make sure they know their treat tin or packet (a few nuggets would work fine ) visually & by sound. Food is normally the best motivator with rabbits. Good luck

I agree with J&B :thumb: my bunnies love the sound of the pellet tub :love:

yes.
my bun(s) only have pellets once a day, so i feed in the evening at dusk time.
Pepper is on his own now & things are a bit more difficult but when it was Poppy & Pepper, Poppy would be inside waiting & Pepper would come running in as soon as i put the pellets down.

Back