• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

does this blood test result shows bacteria in kidney / liver?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
cZKtjh9

https://imgur.com/a/cZKtjh9?

my bun is 12 yr. and 7 mth. old. I'm not sure if these blood test really conclusively shown there is bacteria in the liver / kidney

However, I believe my bun is having an overall age related issue w/ kidney / liver.

So the treatment is:

Vitamin B 12 injection

milk thistle

canola oil / flax oil on 4:1 ratio at 0.4 ml per day for 14 days to boost fatty acid

and some ABX of Enro. just in case

the only thing I want to add is that I thought she's eating on her own, as it turns out, due to her arthritis, she's not able to stand up and eat. And I missed this key problem. So in the past 30 days, her weight dropped from 2.075 KG to 1.61KG (measure 2 days ago) and after I use sub-Q in the past 2 days, gain back in a 12 hr. time frame, back to 1.754KG. So in the past 2 days, holding steady at 1.75 KG. And I don't know if the weight drop can cause bad blood test result, as the blood test was done while she has this drastic wt. drop

so I agree w/ everything excep the Enro., but it doesn't hurt her body, so I'll use it.

Now, even if we fix the above, it still doesn't fix her arthritis. Although Sub-Q for 7 days (I'm on day 2) does make her eat more and up and hopping somewhat more

the only thing I want

Last edited:
cZKtjh9

https://imgur.com/a/cZKtjh9?

my bun is 12 yr. and 7 mth. old. I'm not sure if these blood test really conclusively shown there is bacteria in the liver / kidney

However, I believe my bun is having an overall age related issue w/ kidney / liver.

So the treatment is:

Vitamin B 12 injection

milk thistle

canola oil / flax oil on 4:1 ratio at 0.4 ml per day for 14 days to boost fatty acid

and some ABX of Enro. just in case

the only thing I want to add is that I thought she's eating on her own, as it turns out, due to her arthritis, she's not able to stand up and eat. And I missed this key problem. So in the past 30 days, her weight dropped from 2.075 KG to 1.61KG (measure 2 days ago) and after I use sub-Q in the past 2 days, gain back in a 12 hr. time frame, back to 1.754KG. So in the past 2 days, holding steady at 1.75 KG. And I don't know if the weight drop can cause bad blood test result, as the blood test was done while she has this drastic wt. drop

so I agree w/ everything excep the Enro., but it doesn't hurt her body, so I'll use it.

Now, even if we fix the above, it still doesn't fix her arthritis. Although Sub-Q for 7 days (I'm on day 2) does make her eat more and up and hopping somewhat more

the only thing I want

In my 100% unqualified opinion the results point to chronic renal failure

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

from statistical data of other rabbits posted in this forum, what is the time frame she has?

how many months to how many months in your educated guess?

and is it the Creatinine at 462 that so off that makes you think of chronic renal failure?

after I give the sub-Q at 100 ml on day 1, she gain back some of her weight, and since then, I give her 50 ml per 24 hr. because the vet said 60 cc

The day I gave 100 cc, she eats back a lot of hay on her own. But the following days when I give 50 cc, she's only eating some amt. of hay when I hand feed her

but I read it somewhere, can't remember w/ which forum or facebook page, that a bun of 2 KG or so, should be given 50 cc of sub-Q x 3 times per day

In the past few days, she stabilize at 1.75 to 1.80 KG

what do you normally use? for sub-Q of an average size bun?

Last edited:
If your vet has suggested 60ml SQ fluids per day, I would stick to that, or discuss any proposed changes with your vet. They have the training and expertise to advise you much better than any forum or facebook page. Did your vet advise how many SQ sessions per day to do? If not, I would ring and ask what they recommend and tell them what she has responded to so far.

12+ years is a fantastic age for a rabbit, and if she is responding to the treatment, I would enjoy the time you have together. I've never been lucky enough to have a bunny reach double figures in age, so she has been very well cared for.

I talk to other people. I was right. It should be about 100 ml / KG. 50 ml is too low.

as to the time range of chronic kidney failure, I can do a facebook survey and see what others said in those rabbit groups

I am totally lost as of tonight. I'm hoping someone can help

My bun starts off with arthritis, and the blood test is only there to see if metacam is safe for her. But from the above blood test, the vet said he's certain of kidney / liver infection from perhaps an airborne substance. In particular, for creatinine at 462, where the normal is 63-124, he's certain there is an infection

so I let him treat Minnie w/ Enrofluxin. But it reduces near 100% of her diet. Everything has to be handfeed. So we add a painkiller Gabapentin. Now, this painkiller works very nicely. This morning, she has a lot of good color bunny poos, and it's a big load. So I'm happy

This afternoon, I added benepac pro biotics powder, and the instruction is 1/2 teaspoon + 5 cc of water. And this is what goes terribly wrong. She has soft egg shape poo. As she squish the poo, it looks like soft poo eventhough the original poos that comes out is egg shape. I give her benepac at 7 pm, and it's now 4:30 am, and she has has soft egg shape poo.

So the good news is, there is poo, the bad news is, it's soft poo.

And I keep thinking if her kidney and liver has infection, there is no sign / symptoms of it. I couldn't help but wonder if the blood test is wrong somehow.

All she eats since this morning is hay, so there is nothing that can cause soft poo

Last edited:
Back