• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit barely eating

novaswift

Young Bun
Our 5 year old bunny has suffered from Stasis since last weekend . She was bloated, lethargic, refusing to eat and she had stopped pooing completely .
This is the first time we've experienced this and I'll admit it was frightening . This resulted in an overnight stay at the vets on Monday and through Tuesday before coming home on Tuesday evening.
At the vets she received injections of Vomend and Baytril. She also received Metacam and Aqupharm. She started producing fesces before coming home and has continued to do so although it has been lumpy, wet and foul smelling, possibly because her bowel has been full for a few days ?
The vets advice was plenty of fresh grass and green leaves which she has been eating although not in her usual amount. She's certainly more lively now .
Today I noticed her poo was drier although very small, tiny really and was almost black in colour. Its only Saturday so am I expecting too much? How long can the recovery take?

Our 5 year old bunny has suffered from Stasis since last weekend . She was bloated, lethargic, refusing to eat and she had stopped pooing completely .
This is the first time we've experienced this and I'll admit it was frightening . This resulted in an overnight stay at the vets on Monday and through Tuesday before coming home on Tuesday evening.
At the vets she received injections of Vomend and Baytril. She also received Metacam and Aqupharm. She started producing fesces before coming home and has continued to do so although it has been lumpy, wet and foul smelling, possibly because her bowel has been full for a few days ?
The vets advice was plenty of fresh grass and green leaves which she has been eating although not in her usual amount. She's certainly more lively now .
Today I noticed her poo was drier although very small, tiny really and was almost black in colour. Its only Saturday so am I expecting too much? How long can the recovery take?

Hi, you might get more replies if you create your own thread for this and put it under Health :)

Do you know why your vet gave her an injection of Baytril? This is an antibiotic and usually given when an infection is present or suspected. In cases of Stasis, it is usual for you to continue giving the medication at home for a few days so that the rabbit's gut becomes completely back to normal. Did your vet give you some oral medication to give at home? I have no experience of Aqupharm. Do you know what this was for?

With episodes of Stasis it can sometimes take a while for the rabbit to get completely better. Stasis is also often not the primary illness, but a secondary one. Did the vet suggest a cause for her not eating?

It is good that she is eating grass and green leaves.

The small, black poo, which you are seeing, is indicative of gut slow down and so, if I were you, I would contact your vet and either take her back to be re-examined, or ask for some oral medication to give at home.

I hope she soon improves.

dear emmak,--here are a couple links which are very good http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html and http://www.medirabbit.com [ color] is based on what is eating,-[size] is very important,larger is better--smaller indicates gi tract slower,--keep offering -[wet]-grasses,-either fresh,yard/weeds.ie dandylions[safe weeds]--lots of water,some quality pellets,-and keep watching the poops,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Hi, you might get more replies if you create your own thread for this and put it under Health :)

Do you know why your vet gave her an injection of Baytril? This is an antibiotic and usually given when an infection is present or suspected. In cases of Stasis, it is usual for you to continue giving the medication at home for a few days so that the rabbit's gut becomes completely back to normal. Did your vet give you some oral medication to give at home? I have no experience of Aqupharm. Do you know what this was for?

With episodes of Stasis it can sometimes take a while for the rabbit to get completely better. Stasis is also often not the primary illness, but a secondary one. Did the vet suggest a cause for her not eating?

It is good that she is eating grass and green leaves.

The small, black poo, which you are seeing, is indicative of gut slow down and so, if I were you, I would contact your vet and either take her back to be re-examined, or ask for some oral medication to give at home.

I hope she soon improves.
sorry I don't know why he gave both Baytril and Aqupharm and no we didn't get any meds to bring home. Possibly because she was refusing point blank to take them from us. That was four days ago and her poo is tiny and I can still hear her tummy gurgling. Im getting worried

my wife has told me when bunny was examined by the vet her chest was a little crackly so he gave the baytril incase of infection

my wife has told me when bunny was examined by the vet her chest was a little crackly so he gave the baytril incase of infection

Do you know if your vet is rabbit savvy? I really would have expected a continution of medication to be given to you for her digestive system. Additionally, if the vet suspects she also has a problem with her chest, then the antibiotics should have been continued at home as well. I'm confused that you said that she refused to take medication from you :? Was that after she was discharged from the vets?

Has she been eating grass and green leaves today?

Stasis Recovery

Hey I merged these together so all your posts are together :)

I'm glad she's more lively now, it's taken one of mine 2 weeks to fully get over stasis. Is she on gut meds?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
she wouldn't take the meds from us but did when kept overnight at the vets . We didn't get meds home with us. Tonight her belly is really gurgling and she hasn't pooed for about 7 hours. We are worried now. She has eaten lots of grass and leaves today.

she wouldn't take the meds from us but did when kept overnight at the vets . We didn't get meds home with us. Tonight her belly is really gurgling and she hasn't pooed for about 7 hours. We are worried now. She has eaten lots of grass and leaves today.
Personally I'd take her back to the vets, are they rabbit savvy? I'd want her on pain relief and gut motility medication, it's good she's been nibbling but I'd be worried with no output :(

It can take a while for input and output to get back to normal. 7 hours is a long time for a rabbit to go without producing poo, so hope she does some soon. Is she eating hay? Her output will improve when she is taking in fibre in the form of hay. Sending vibes for a full recovery.

Thanks. She won't eat hay but eats fresh grass and plenty of greens. Unfortunately we have just had to leave her overnight at the vets as she's very poorly. We've a horrible feeling she won't make it. Fingers crossed

Sorry to see the update. Do hope she improves overnight. Well done for getting her to the vet and giving her the best chance.

Thanks. She won't eat hay but eats fresh grass and plenty of greens. Unfortunately we have just had to leave her overnight at the vets as she's very poorly. We've a horrible feeling she won't make it. Fingers crossed
Really sorry :( sending lots of vibes for her x

I am sorry that your Rabbit is so poorly :cry: I really hope she will pull through xx

I am sorry your bunny had a relapse and is now back at the vets. That being said, she did show improvement after her first vet visit, so with the proper meds and supportive care she may still have a chance to recover. If you get a good result, you may ask your vet or the technician to show you how they give your bunny the medications so you can continue them at home.

I'm very sorry to read this update this morning. I hope that she has improved overnight at the vets.

Thanks for everyones best wishes. We were terribly upset to leave her but we couldn't watch her discomfort any longer. Lola is our first ever pet, my parents wouldn't allow pets when I was a child so she means a lot to us. Hoping for a positive call soon.

Hope to get a more positive update from you soon. I, and many others here, will well understand your distress at leaving her.

Back