• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Complex toys

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Hi all

Lilac has been on her own for about a month now [emoji22] she's doing quite well and is slightly more friendly with us. I hide her food and give her toys every morning when I leave for work and at night to keep her busy as I worry she'll get bored, although she isn't showing any signs of it yet. Trouble is she works out all the toys so quickly! I hide her food in boxes, toilet roll tubes, a food ball, I've tried everything I can think of, but she's got them all sussed out now. Can anyone recommend any more complex toys/ways of hiding food? Happy to either make or buy, she doesn't play for the sake of playing, there has to be food involved, so something I can hide food in would be ideal. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Hi all

Lilac has been on her own for about a month now [emoji22] she's doing quite well and is slightly more friendly with us. I hide her food and give her toys every morning when I leave for work and at night to keep her busy as I worry she'll get bored, although she isn't showing any signs of it yet. Trouble is she works out all the toys so quickly! I hide her food in boxes, toilet roll tubes, a food ball, I've tried everything I can think of, but she's got them all sussed out now. Can anyone recommend any more complex toys/ways of hiding food? Happy to either make or buy, she doesn't play for the sake of playing, there has to be food involved, so something I can hide food in would be ideal. Thanks in advance!

The living world one! They have to slide stuff around... How smart is she though? My white buns really struggle with it, Clementine isn't bothered and Atticus is too smart for his own good he completes every level it has, took him a few minutes the first time he did it [emoji849][emoji38] I struggle with him though he gets bored so easily without challenges [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

The living world one! They have to slide stuff around... How smart is she though? My white buns really struggle with it, Clementine isn't bothered and Atticus is too smart for his own good he completes every level it has, took him a few minutes the first time he did it [emoji849][emoji38] I struggle with him though he gets bored so easily without challenges [emoji38]

Do you have a link? I think she's reasonably smart but she's never really been properly challenged so I could be wrong [emoji23] I just want something that will keep her occupied for longer periods.

Do you have a link? I think she's reasonably smart but she's never really been properly challenged so I could be wrong [emoji23] I just want something that will keep her occupied for longer periods.

Living World 3-in-1 Teach-n-Treat Interactive Toy https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004HYW9B8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8VEfDbZ5WX2GC

This :)

They also do a wooden one, which I don't have but I do have the wooden one for hamsters much smaller - and they both love it [emoji38] I think it's simpler though

What about forage stuffed wood? Twig and nibble do some my white buns like them, also the willow hampers [emoji38] I don't open them.. They have to fight their way in... Also pets at home are making a hay cube now which is stuffed with hay and forage which they absolutely love (I don't know what's in it though they don't seem to have ingredients on it [emoji849]) the cube is cardboard though and they destroy it, gets messy but holds their interest for like a whole week til it's all gone... They are eating cardboard though... Which people aren't always okay with

Last edited:
Living World 3-in-1 Teach-n-Treat Interactive Toy https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004HYW9B8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8VEfDbZ5WX2GC

This :)

What about forage stuffed wood? Twig and nibble do some my white buns like them, also the willow hampers [emoji38] I don't open them.. They have to fight their way in... Also pets at home are making a hay cube now which is stuffed with hay and forage which they absolutely love (I don't know what's in it though they don't seem to have ingredients on it [emoji849]) the cube is cardboard though and they destroy it, gets messy but holds their interest for like a whole week til it's all gone... They are eating cardboard though... Which people aren't always okay with

That looks perfect, I think I looked at it before but wasn't sure if it was suitable. A stuffed branch would be ideal as well, don't know why I didn't think of that one myself! I bought her a forage tray from twig and nibble a couple of days ago, she hasn't had it yet but if she likes it (and I'm sure she will) I'll get her a box.

I think I read somewhere that those hay cubes sometimes have glue in them, although I don't know for sure.

The living world game is great fun for them with treats. Also the link posted above to recent raw week members ideas for keeping buns miss entertained

Thanks everyone, she is going to think I've gone crazy with the amount of toys I keep buying her! ��

We used a cat's treatball for Lopsy: it worked great, we just put his pellet ration in there and put it down for him. Sometimes he'd spend a good 15mins getting them out. Sometimes he'd get fed up, go and do something else and come back to it. Sometimes he'd get it stuck somewhere: sometimes we'd have to help him if there was no way for him to retrieve it, otherwise we left him to it! You could always put it somewhere awkward to begin with, maybe come up with safe 'pitfalls' and sticking points so it takes some getting out :)

We also hung things on strings and we hang things in the run for them. If they don't see me do it sometimes it takes them a while to suss it out but it's a good 15mins of balance games :)

That turn around thing looks great :thumb:
I didn't have a lot of luck with the living world thing. Three of my buns took a very short period of time to work it out and then remembered what to do, the fourth simply picked it up and threw it at a wall until all the food had come out :lol: That said, I do still use it occasionally to give them something to do. Unfortunately it takes me longer to fill it than for them to empty it.
I don't think there's really a lot you can do to keep rabbits entertained all day. As long as they've got a few tunnels, space to run about a bit, a treat ball with a little food in, and things to chew they're pretty happy. The easter egg hunt style of feeding is good. Also if she's not too much of a cardboard eater you could make her a maze with things like a sisal rope net to chew through to get in to another compartment - though again I do find it takes a lot longer to make these things that it takes a rabbit to get bored of it.

Is a friend on the cards for lilac or is she a single bun now?

Edit: These all look great too. and this one

Last edited:
Would she like these? I assume they're safe? Just dried forage in a coconut [emoji38] I bought 4 earlier, I think my hammies might like them too :)
8d5eeef4002adc5dec1ad834945da5d1.jpg

These look great! Would you mind posting a link? They look like something else I can spoil my two with xxxx

Back