• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

11 wk babies mating?

olala*

New Kit
Hi, my rabbit had 4 healthy babies they are 11 weeks tomorrow night.

They are all indoor rabbits and their parents too.

They are all good active rabbits and very smart and tidy, using their toilet about 100% of time, have good appetite they have unlimited pellets and unlimited hay and unlimited water, they are separated from their mother at 7 weeks and not getting any greens since then.

One of the babies (Boy) started chasing other baby (Girl) last week.

They both were a bit larger than other two babies when they were born, I was able to sex them at 8 weeks and the other two are a bit smaller and I am still not sure about their sex. They are not much smaller but just a little bit.

I've checked again today and I can clearly see Boy's testicles, not full size but after his latest attempt to mate Girl the pink part of his penis was quite red and a very impressive size!

Girl is running away or keeps eating her hay while Boy keeps attempting.

Their mother is a lop rabbit and their father is a dwarf mix and very sexually active, I have him from 8 weeks and he started humping everything at 12 weeks.

Boy is definitely an early bloomer and I am going to separate him from others right now, I've never seen him falling so maybe he didn't get there yet but he keeps trying.

I just worry about Girl, can she conceive at 11 weeks?

How about other babies, why is he chasing only Girl but others are not attractive to him?

The other two are still not sure but think one girl and one boy as well, they are still like babies.

Thank you!

I would definitely separate them now as I'm sure they can breed from a young age. I hand reared an abandoned litter and the information I was provided with from the vets said separate brothers and sisters from 6-7 weeks. Just before 6 weeks old one was showing more interest in another, chasing and attempting to hump so I separated straight away. Once sexed I had two boys and a girl, the one that was bothering the girl did develop quicker than the other male.

From 6 weeks wow! I truly hope she's not pregnant at 11 weeks she's way too young to be a mother she's not even full size yet that would be really bad for her health.
But if he's chasing her maybe she smells like a female already he's not interested in the other two, well i am not sure if one of them is a female, but a few days ago I brought their father near their cage and Boy tried to get him through the cage with his teeth, even got some fur off him, I think if other two are males he'd try to get them too. So he's definitely matured early, wondering if he can be neutered soon, I saw his one testicle in place already and other wasn't but maybe he didn't want me to see it as I took him off Girl practically.
From what I've heard vets take them for neutering at 4 months and he's only 2,5 now.

Last edited:
A quick google search suggests a female can get pregnant from 12 weeks old so I think having them still together is definitely pushing it, especially if they are becoming obviously mature. I would separate the boys from the girls at this point. I'd also like to point out that boys don't always get things right when they are attempting to mate- even if she's not yet fertile, I've known of boys getting bitten in some very sensitive places due to getting enthusiastic with the wrong end- this led to one rabbit at the Rescue being named Bobbit...

Yes the big one separated now for others it is still unclear if the other two are girls or boys, Girl is definitely a girl, as I said Boy and Girl were born bigger than other two, maybe because their mother is a lop and she is bigger than their father dwarf so probably the smaller ones will stay on a smaller side.

I've heard that story I have to say she wasn't annoyed yet she kinda liked him well he wasn't attempting 24/7 yet just a few times over past week, I didn't pay much attention honestly as they were just 9-10 weeks old but today I took him out and discovered his testicles and he's not even 11 weeks yet. Hopefully she didn't get pregnant I'd like to believe that she's not fertile yet.

Now I have to watch the other two I check them every day now. In fact if there's one of them a boy I will have to keep them all separated as boys will fight.

What is the reason that you removed them from their Mum at 7 weeks?

I would certainly separate them.

From 6 weeks wow! I truly hope she's not pregnant at 11 weeks she's way too young to be a mother she's not even full size yet that would be really bad for her health.
But if he's chasing her maybe she smells like a female already he's not interested in the other two, well i am not sure if one of them is a female, but a few days ago I brought their father near their cage and Boy tried to get him through the cage with his teeth, even got some fur off him, I think if other two are males he'd try to get them too. So he's definitely matured early, wondering if he can be neutered soon, I saw his one testicle in place already and other wasn't but maybe he didn't want me to see it as I took him off Girl practically.
From what I've heard vets take them for neutering at 4 months and he's only 2,5 now.

A 6 week old Buck or Doe will not be fertile, but behavioural changes related to increased hormonal production will be noted.

Wild Rabbits usually self wean at about 6 weeks, but in a domestic breeding situation it is usually recommended that the Kits remain with the Doe until the Kits are 8 weeks of age. The Doe should then be moved to a new environment, the Kits left in the environment they are used to. This is to minimise stress for the Kits as their gastrointestinal tract undergoes major developmental changes between 8-10 weeks of age and the risks of eneritis are high. Stress can increase this risk.

A Buck's testicles usually descend at about 14-16 weeks, but some may mature before then. In a domestic breeding setting it is advisable to separate the litter into Doe/Buck groups by 10 weeks of age to prevent any unwanted pregnancies.

These links may be useful to read

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

@TheBee:

It was her first litter and she was a great mother but she was overprotective and won't let me communicate with them.

She already weaned them after 6 weeks they ate dry food and hay and she's got tired of being with them all the time she needed some space.

They were very strong and active kits from the beginning both their parents are very active and independent, now they became more social and trust me I am very happy for their toilet training too.

Very good and healthy rabbits very happy. Eat well poop well very tidy and now more socialized was good for them and for her too.

A 6 week old Buck or Doe will not be fertile, but behavioural changes related to increased hormonal production will be noted.

Wild Rabbits usually self wean at about 6 weeks, but in a domestic breeding situation it is usually recommended that the Kits remain with the Doe until the Kits are 8 weeks of age. The Doe should then be moved to a new environment, the Kits left in the environment they are used to. This is to minimise stress for the Kits as their gastrointestinal tract undergoes major developmental changes between 8-10 weeks of age and the risks of eneritis are high. Stress can increase this risk.

A Buck's testicles usually descend at about 14-16 weeks, but some may mature before then. In a domestic breeding setting it is advisable to separate the litter into Doe/Buck groups by 10 weeks of age to prevent any unwanted pregnancies.

These links may be useful to read

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Thanks for the info I knew that kits have to stay with their mother until 8 weeks but never thought about relocation problem at all, that makes sense too.

This was my first litter as well and I've changed things a few times as I learned, added another cage to make more room for them and added a playpen later then I left mother in her cage and relocated them, they reacted well but I spend much time with them think they're all good and happy now.

Thanks again and for the links as well.

Okay now I am totally lost because Boy is starting fight with the other two and I think they are also males but need some expert advice! Thank you in advance!

Rabbit 1

2agnvvm.jpg

Rabbit 2

eullk4.jpg

Rabbit 3

1zdlq86.jpg

Rabbit 4

2642hqs.jpg

Rabbit 4 is a male definitely, I think black Rabbit 1 is a female, for the 2 and 3 I really need help, please please please they all look so similar to me, one moment I think they are males, other moment females. :?

Last edited:
I'm not an expert in sexing rabbits, but bumping this up for you in the hope that someone can help.

Okay now I am totally lost because Boy is starting fight with the other two and I think they are also males but need some expert advice! Thank you in advance!

Rabbit 1

2agnvvm.jpg

Rabbit 2

eullk4.jpg

Rabbit 3

1zdlq86.jpg

Rabbit 4

2642hqs.jpg

Rabbit 4 is a male definitely, I think black Rabbit 1 is a female, for the 2 and 3 I really need help, please please please they all look so similar to me, one moment I think they are males, other moment females. :?

Impossible to be 100% certain from a photo on the internet, but I'd say Rabbit 2 is Male and Rabbit 3 is Female.

Thank you for your support and bumping my thread too, since they are a bit older now it is clearly seen that only Rabbit 4 is a male and the other three are females.

Now, I've separated male as soon as I noticed that he's humping Rabbit 1 but today I've decided to check her belly and believe it or not but I can feel little moving marbles in her belly. I am not terribly experienced but I really can feel there moving babies inside her belly. She is almost 13 weeks now and they were separated more than a week ago, also if babies already moving it means by me that she's going to kindle pretty soon, maybe 1-2 weeks?

I have no idea so she's got pregnant at 10-11 weeks then. In this litter they were 4 babies and Rabbit 1 and rabbit 4 were much larger than the other two, also all the kits were very strong and well growing, ate well, were very good at toilet training and they basically left their nest box on day 14.

She's looking strong and healthy she's bigger than others but she's not her full size yet much smaller than her mother. So she's going to have babies at about 15 weeks I believe, do you think it would be dangerous for her or just leave it as is and watch her and hopefully she'll be alright? She's actually gorgeous I wanted to keep her since she was born and now I must keep her for another two-three months at least.

Thank you for your support and bumping my thread too, since they are a bit older now it is clearly seen that only Rabbit 4 is a male and the other three are females.

Now, I've separated male as soon as I noticed that he's humping Rabbit 1 but today I've decided to check her belly and believe it or not but I can feel little moving marbles in her belly. I am not terribly experienced but I really can feel there moving babies inside her belly. She is almost 13 weeks now and they were separated more than a week ago, also if babies already moving it means by me that she's going to kindle pretty soon, maybe 1-2 weeks?

I have no idea so she's got pregnant at 10-11 weeks then. In this litter they were 4 babies and Rabbit 1 and rabbit 4 were much larger than the other two, also all the kits were very strong and well growing, ate well, were very good at toilet training and they basically left their nest box on day 14.

She's looking strong and healthy she's bigger than others but she's not her full size yet much smaller than her mother. So she's going to have babies at about 15 weeks I believe, do you think it would be dangerous for her or just leave it as is and watch her and hopefully she'll be alright? She's actually gorgeous I wanted to keep her since she was born and now I must keep her for another two-three months at least.

I would honestly be astounded if she was fertile at 10-11 weeks. Are you 100% certain of the ages of the first litter ? Could there actually have been 2 litters born 4 weeks apart ?

It certainly is not ideal that a Doe is pregnant at such a young age, not only for the implication on her own health but also on her ability to care for a litter. She may not build a nest and she may scatter the kits (if she is pregnant). Then there are the significant health implications when 'inbreeding' occurs. With a huge chunk of luck what you are feeling may be fecal poos in the intestines.Do you know any experienced Breeders who could offer you support and advice to try to at least establish 'damage limitation' ? Have you booked the Bucks in for neutering ?

This was my first litter of four kits so I am sure about their age I can be wrong about what I am feeling there as you say it can be just her poos but it feels like they are bigger than normal poos and when I place them between my fingers I can feel they are moving like little froggies inside. But it can be just my imagination of course.

This thread was created on 27th June so that was when I separated them so if she is pregnant it's more than 11 days now because I've noticed him humping her a couple days before that but since they were very young I didn't pay attention just on that day I examined them and found that his testicles were partially dropped so I separated him. I should have separated them earlier but it was my first experience and I thought they are safe until week 12-14. Also it wasn't clear how many boys are there because rabbit 2 definitely looked like a boy as well, just the other two were a bit smaller and I wasn't sure.

They were 12 weeks on Friday.

I am just going to wait and see it will be max two weeks if she is really pregnant, hopefully I am just wrong and there are just poos moving in her belly. I will keep you updated.

She's feeling good eats well her poo is perfect she's in with the two her sisters and acting like normal very nice and friendly rabbit. A bit fatter than her sisters but still active and playful. She likes being handled as well, very good rabbit.

You know what I am still not 100% sure.

They are 13 weeks now, Rabbit 1 black she has an adult size vagina, Rabbit 4 has fully dropped testicles and sprays on walls etc, the other two are a bit smaller and they were born smaller, not small they are good size already same as was their mother same age but I checked again all three and it looks like a donut first but when I push nothing comes out, here I took new pics today.

Black No 1 started showing dominance and sometimes mounting the other two, sometimes they are all circling generally two whites are grooming each other and her too, they are quite nice to each other when coming to drink from bottles they have two but trying to drink from same and putting their head under the other's chin.

No 1 black
ww1641.jpg

No 2 white with black spots
118emuv.jpg

1yaccj.jpg

No 3 white
1085yxj.jpg

females usually can become pregnant around 4-5 months old, it can vary and its generally advised to separate long before that. its also not advisable to breed them around that age as they're still pretty young, they're still growing and maturing. it would be a bit of a miracle for a female rabbit to become pregnant at her age!! I learned that from my friend is a rescue and is often dealing with litters of rabbits, because they know what they're doing and do it hundreds of times the babies stay together (away from mom, but siblings of both sexed mixed together). boys are then neutered at about 13 weeks old and girls later when they've done growing. she's the one that brought up the sexual maturity of rabbits of females to me as I questioned her. but as I said they neuter at an earlier age than most would.

of course; not something I'd suggest the usual person to do, but I guess thats because they're more experienced and have access to a vet.

it might be worth seeing if you could access a rabbit savvy vet to sex them. you'd get a pretty firm answer from them. online its hard to tell and pictures are blurry, plus then theres no inbreeding or accidental litters! :D

Back