• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering Query

Maddie220790

Young Bun
Hi!

So, following on from my previous thread, I THINK Peanut is over the worst of the stasis! She is eating... everything in sight! Drinking quite well and pooping lots (although they're quite proteiny at the moment)? I'm hoping this will improve? She is also running and hopping everywhere like a nutcase which is lovely to see!

When I took Peanut to the vet last week when she wasn't eating or running around, the vet recommended getting her neutered.

Now, the reason we didn't is because when she was 6 months my husband stood on her -_- totally accidentally of course and he received many slaps!
It was a long 3 months of syringe feeding and xrays which then followed with an abscess which we treated with the manuka honey and cleared in about 4 days.

Due to this, I didn't trust her strength to get through the operation so we didn't have her neutered.

However, as the vet has recommended it... I just wanted some thoughts as she will be 4 in September and I've read it is more dangerous for bunnies over 3?

Any advice or similar age neutering experiences much appreciated!

EDIT: She has never had kits by the way and is a house bunny.

Last edited:
If she is currently fit and well, the risks associated with the anaesthetic are minimal. I have had elderly (9 year old) rabbits undergoing regular dental procedures under anaesthetic with no issues. Check that your vet regularly operates on rabbits and is confident with spaying them. Some practices still don't see many rabbits so have little practical experience - it's always best to check.

The risks of future health issues associated with not neutering her are quite high. Something like 80% of un-spayed rabbits have developed uterine tumours by age 4. There are some links about this somewhere on the forum. So if she is neutered now, she has a much better chance of a long and happy life.

Hi Maddie,

My post from a couple of weeks ago may help. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-6-Snow-has-been-spayed&p=7110610#post7110610 I have just updated it to let everyone know I decided to go with the spay and that she had it done today and is doing well.

I did switch vets from the practice I was at when I first got my two rabbits 2 months ago, to one on the RWAF Rabbit Friendly Vet List because I was concerned with the risks of spaying an older doe and I wanted to know that an experienced vet was caring out the operation. The staff were all very friendly and informative (today was my first visit to the practice) and kept me up to date with her progress too.

I don't have experience of having a doe neutered, but hope you feel confident in making the right decision for your rabbit.

dear maddie220790,--I am glad peanut survived the ordeal,-if possible definitely space things out,--I was once told about ovarian cancer in rabbits,and how they live longer with the-surgery..well yea,duh!-[-if it happens].. golly was I taken,surgery-is not cheap,but I found the money for 8 rabbits x 300$ each,males were cheaper but still surgery,--here is what I need to express,-the gi tract must be restarted,the dvm may give take home pain meds,and gut mobility med-[reglyn]-,as the bun wakes up,water,hay,meds,are mandatory--watch for poops.--here are a couple links for reference http://www.medirabbit.com and http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html my last bun was13 yr.old+2 days,-never neutered,--I believe it is the discretion of the owner,based on scientific evidence,.not scare tactics-to have the surgery sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Thank you all for your replies! I am currently checking our rabbit savvy vets to take her to! Only issue is they're all a 45 min drive from me! Does anyone have any advice on how to keep bunnies comfortable whilst travelling, please? :)

Thank you all for your replies! I am currently checking our rabbit savvy vets to take her to! Only issue is they're all a 45 min drive from me! Does anyone have any advice on how to keep bunnies comfortable whilst travelling, please? :)
My vets aren't close by sometimes it takes a hour to get there, I just put them in a carrier with hay, and they're okay. Sometimes they nibble some of the hay which is good :) I also talk to them and sing to them... Which is familiar because I do this at home all the time... [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I had the exact same concern. I used pet remedy spray on the towel inside the carrier and over the top, put classic fm on the radio and gave them lots of hay. This only resulted in 1 small hole in the towel in 40min journey each way.

I used to get 3 or 4 holes in a towel in a 10 minute journey without pet remedy and no classic fm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thank you! :D I have sent you a PM Bear_S as I am also in Norfolk and just wondered which vet you took your bunny to and how you chose? :)

I hopefully just replied, my phone is being weird. Send me another massage if you didn't get a reply and I'll send again once I'm home (it's quite long!)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

As long as she is now fit and well I'd have no problem getting her spayed.

If she is prone to gut issues I'd be tempted to ask the vet if they could give you some gut stimulants as well as pain relief to take home after the op just incase you have any problems with her not eating.

(The pain relief should always be issued, especially in females)

dear maddie220790,-yes,a good exotic dvm-[there are not enough of]--too few and far between,--I too drove 34miles-[one way]-one hour drive through the most god awful traffic..--[all worth it]-usually in a padded carrier buckled up-in the seat- for transport,-I always brought along grasses,water,pear tree branch,etc.,-and yes start out early..--the exotic dvm was dr.holly carter,who received her dvm degree at your London-university-now has her own exotic/avian-facility in Kirkland Washington,usa--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Back