• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Twigs

Onana & Lukaku

Warren Scout
My Onana loves chewing on twigs.
The problem is - we haven't got any.
I live in London, and I do trust basically nothing that doesn't grow in our own garden. We have plenty of herbs, salads and grass in great variety - but we have no willow tree, no hazelnut and only two very young and tiny apple tree. What we have is an elderflower tree, two giant cherry trees, a peach tree, forsythia, olive tree, ash tree, lots of roses and a magnolia. But from reading on the internet I gather that none of those are suitable? I bought Onana apple twigs online and he chewed them, but I found them dry and not so nice as fresh ones. I also ordered a willow and a hazelnut for planting - but it will take ages until my two friends are benefitting from them.
Lukaku is not that keen on them - but Onana adores them.

Has anyone any ideas for us?
We have a very large rosemary bush with a lot of wood. I could offer that one. But is it safe?

Thanks a lot for any advice,
Charlie, Onana & Lukaku

My Onana loves chewing on twigs.
The problem is - we haven't got any.
I live in London, and I do trust basically nothing that doesn't grow in our own garden. We have plenty of herbs, salads and grass in great variety - but we have no willow tree, no hazelnut and only two very young and tiny apple tree. What we have is an elderflower tree, two giant cherry trees, a peach tree, forsythia, olive tree, ash tree, lots of roses and a magnolia. But from reading on the internet I gather that none of those are suitable? I bought Onana apple twigs online and he chewed them, but I found them dry and not so nice as fresh ones. I also ordered a willow and a hazelnut for planting - but it will take ages until my two friends are benefitting from them.
Lukaku is not that keen on them - but Onana adores them.

Has anyone any ideas for us?
We have a very large rosemary bush with a lot of wood. I could offer that one. But is it safe?

Thanks a lot for any advice,
Charlie, Onana & Lukaku

Hi, yes my rabbits love chewing twigs too :)

Out of the options you have mentioned, rabbits can have Rose (leaves, twigs and petals), Ash (twigs and leaves) and also Rosemary (leaves, flowers and twigs). My rabbits love Rose and Ash, but are not too keen on Rosemary, but it is certainly safe.

As with any new food, offer a small amount to start with and monitor for any adverse effects, before giving a larger quantity.

Happy munching, bunnies :)

You should be able to find some brambles. They grow in any uncultivated corner and bunnies love them, despite the thorns. When I pick forage, I go for anything above knee height so it isn't likely to have been sprayed, wee'd on, etc, and preferably not right on the front edge - so something a little further back.

Willows also grow all over the place and have different leaf types. Have a wander down snickets and near water and you will probably find something suitable, especially at this time of year.

Rose, ash and rosemary are safe to feed.
I avoid anything from fruit (and their trees) with a large central stone or pip.

This is also very useful and small enough to carry around:
https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Or for your garden:
https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/gardening-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Yes, brambles we have as well! Thank you very much, Omi and Shimmer! They will get rosemary, brambles, roses and ash. As we have plenty of them, they will not go without. Unfortunately I haven't got any water near me and really never seen a willow tree around here. But this is a good start.

Back