Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy Poop! Megacolon bunny offering vs normal bunny [poo photo, you've been warned]

Sorry to hijack your thread a little, I'm just wondering if you guys think this is pretty standard? As in do your megacolon buns produce stuff like this (sorry it's a bit grim, this was taken this morning and the tray and hay was clean at 11pm last night) there's different sized and shaped poops but also just splats...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi Gracie,

Dash was getting a very doughy/firm cecum and having regular stasis attacks along with his large oval/irregular/misshapen poos. My vet checked him for parasites, yeast/fungal, bacterial infections, and other possible causes before telling me about Megacolon and Dysautonomia.

I have had bunnies without Megacolon and Dysautonomia who will produce odd shaped and irregular poos when they are shedding a lot or having gut slowdowns for other medical conditions or dietary reasons.

Perhaps you can take some fresh poop samples to you vet to have them analyzed for other possible causes.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Hi Gracie,

Dash was getting a very doughy/firm cecum and having regular stasis attacks along with his large oval/irregular/misshapen poos. My vet checked him for parasites, yeast/fungal, bacterial infections, and other possible causes before telling me about Megacolon and Dysautonomia.

I have had bunnies without Megacolon and Dysautonomia who will produce odd shaped and irregular poos when they are shedding a lot or having gut slowdowns for other medical conditions or dietary reasons.

Perhaps you can take some fresh poop samples to you vet to have them analyzed for other possible causes.
    Thanks for getting back to me

When it first started happening when he was a baby I took samples to the vets and they said there was nothing wrong with the samples (other than obviously the shape and consistency) they looked for all kinds of things but found nothing.

I cant remember if Atticus's gut problems started before or after he reached puberty, or before or after he was neutered ??

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

An Ex RUer needs as much help as possible

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gemma-amp...-0xbTXWRb42ov4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I cant remember if Atticus's gut problems started before or after he reached puberty, or before or after he was neutered ??
    Thanks for replying Jane

So looking back he was around 9 - 10 months old ish when the problems started (was neutered at 6 months old)

I remember at the time William said it was megacolon, but tbh i've been watching him more and more recently and the splats seems to be unformed cecotrophes - he mainly makes very golden round poops pretty normal, but some are more oval etc, but the worrying stuff is the darker wet stuff. Without putting you off your lunch... I saw a cecotrophe come out the other day and it wasn't the nice grapes shape but just a mess...like if the cecotrophe had no definition to it (kill me now pls ) and the consistency wasn't right.. it wasn't smooth.. Idk if this is part of megacolon or is something else entirely don't want to jinx it.. but he seems fine in himself, always has done, the only time he wasn't was after being neutered, he didn't eat for two solid weeks and William said he'd had a bad reaction to the vetergesic and tbh he looked like he was having a bad trip - he was very aggressive after this incident and for a while my mum said we should have him put down - he used to bite me and was very very aggressive - he's never been the same bun as before the operation, but no one could find anything wrong with him physically... he isn't the same bun, but he isn't aggressive anymore, he isn't like the others though, it's kinda hard to explain it, but he doesn't really behave like them. He also seems to miss signs from Clementine all the time... and after Clementines first bladder flush (I took them both) he came back okay but then was aggressive with her the following morning - idk if there's something with the vets.. it's almost like he has ptsd.. which probably sounds ridiculous... sorry for the essay D:

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Thanks for replying Jane

So looking back he was around 9 - 10 months old ish when the problems started (was neutered at 6 months old)

I remember at the time William said it was megacolon, but tbh i've been watching him more and more recently and the splats seems to be unformed cecotrophes - he mainly makes very golden round poops pretty normal, but some are more oval etc, but the worrying stuff is the darker wet stuff. Without putting you off your lunch... I saw a cecotrophe come out the other day and it wasn't the nice grapes shape but just a mess...like if the cecotrophe had no definition to it (kill me now pls ) and the consistency wasn't right.. it wasn't smooth.. Idk if this is part of megacolon or is something else entirely don't want to jinx it.. but he seems fine in himself, always has done, the only time he wasn't was after being neutered, he didn't eat for two solid weeks and William said he'd had a bad reaction to the vetergesic and tbh he looked like he was having a bad trip - he was very aggressive after this incident and for a while my mum said we should have him put down - he used to bite me and was very very aggressive - he's never been the same bun as before the operation, but no one could find anything wrong with him physically... he isn't the same bun, but he isn't aggressive anymore, he isn't like the others though, it's kinda hard to explain it, but he doesn't really behave like them. He also seems to miss signs from Clementine all the time... and after Clementines first bladder flush (I took them both) he came back okay but then was aggressive with her the following morning - idk if there's something with the vets.. it's almost like he has ptsd.. which probably sounds ridiculous... sorry for the essay D:
    Well, I have a totally unqualified opinion about cases like that of Atticus. I reckon that there is a connection between the function of the colon and the production of hormones. Lord H's GI tract issues, similar to Atticus's, started after he was neutered. His neutering was NOT straight forward and he actually nearly did not survive. Like Atticus when Lord H's GI tract 'Megacolon like' symptoms kicked off he was never ill within himself. He never had any periods of anorexia or abdominal pain. Despite his guts working like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdAjaB0_xuo

and sometimes passing no formed cecals at all, just horrible splats and fluid. Copious amounts of it, he even ended up getting in his ears..........

I am currently trying to do a bit of research about it all as, without wanting to tempt fate, for the last 7-8 months Lord H's GI tract symptoms have completely resolved As to why, I have no idea. He has remained on the same pellet free diet, absolutely NOTHING has changed. I will keep in touch and let you know if I find out anything that might be helpful for Atticus. It's good that he is fine within himself, but I know how difficult it is to care for a Bunny with his type of GI tract problems.

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

An Ex RUer needs as much help as possible

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gemma-amp...-0xbTXWRb42ov4

Dash and his late littermate Evan both had GI issues the Saturday I took them home. I got them to the vet on Monday and both had coccidia for which they were treated. Evan seemed normal after medication (I later learned he had the same issue as Dash) and Dash was making the large oval poos and having a doughy, sometimes firm, tummy. Dash had several serious stasis episodes so my vet and I decided not to subject him to a neuter. He is neither territorial nor aggressive to me, even on his home turf. Evan was neutered and he did have more stasis episodes after the neuter, though not immediately after, than before his neuter. I presumed it was because his condition was progressing.
    Like Bndi's Bailey, Dash is having more frequent occurrences of GI stasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Well, I have a totally unqualified opinion about cases like that of Atticus. I reckon that there is a connection between the function of the colon and the production of hormones. Lord H's GI tract issues, similar to Atticus's, started after he was neutered. His neutering was NOT straight forward and he actually nearly did not survive. Like Atticus when Lord H's GI tract 'Megacolon like' symptoms kicked off he was never ill within himself. He never had any periods of anorexia or abdominal pain. Despite his guts working like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdAjaB0_xuo

and sometimes passing no formed cecals at all, just horrible splats and fluid. Copious amounts of it, he even ended up getting in his ears..........

I am currently trying to do a bit of research about it all as, without wanting to tempt fate, for the last 7-8 months Lord H's GI tract symptoms have completely resolved As to why, I have no idea. He has remained on the same pellet free diet, absolutely NOTHING has changed. I will keep in touch and let you know if I find out anything that might be helpful for Atticus. It's good that he is fine within himself, but I know how difficult it is to care for a Bunny with his type of GI tract problems.
    You know, I've wondered this.. When he is outside sometimes he gets a bit spooked Idk why it seems random, and he produces loads and loads of the splats and liquid and it's a disaster. I won't let him out without f10 sprayed on his bum now, it's too risky. I don't think he could ever live outside.

If you do find anything out however small or unproven I'd really appreciate that, anything to explore/look into that could help is worth it imo.

With him I feel like getting him neutered was a real mistake tbh, I know you are meant to etc and he'd have probably been a nightmare to live with for a spayed female.. But he never got that hormonal from what I can remember, he was always sweet and laid back tbh.. Feel like I've given him more problems by getting him done