Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Poop! Megacolon bunny offering vs normal bunny [poo photo, you've been warned]

Warren Scout

Default Holy Poop! Megacolon bunny offering vs normal bunny [poo photo, you've been warned]

It is one of the great trials of being an animal parent that nobody else will find poop as fascinating as you.

For reference, I have two rabbits- Pandora, an eight year old female with relatively normal gut health, and Bailey, a seven year old male with Megacolon Syndrome. Both rabbits are the same weight- approx. 2.5-2.6kg.

After Bailey's recent stasis bout, I've been keeping an eye on the volume and quality of his outgoings. His normal poo is, unfortunately, a range of sizes, shapes and consistencies but typically either poorly shaped and very small, or huge and oval. When I went to check today, he'd done an absolute prize winner, so much so that I felt compelled to take a photo in comparison to some offerings by Pandora. I feel so bad for the poor guy.

I think I'm slightly in shock, I don't know about him...

...................................... ~ Pandora Bea and Bailey Brychan ~ ..................................................
    ~ At the Bridge ~ Bandit Mist, Sealy Calkin, Schatje-Oren Turin, Mattie Harigen and Ciara Konijn ~

Quote Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
    It is one of the great trials of being an animal parent that nobody else will find poop as fascinating as you.

For reference, I have two rabbits- Pandora, an eight year old female with relatively normal gut health, and Bailey, a seven year old male with Megacolon Syndrome. Both rabbits are the same weight- approx. 2.5-2.6kg.

After Bailey's recent stasis bout, I've been keeping an eye on the volume and quality of his outgoings. His normal poo is, unfortunately, a range of sizes, shapes and consistencies but typically either poorly shaped and very small, or huge and oval. When I went to check today, he'd done an absolute prize winner, so much so that I felt compelled to take a photo in comparison to some offerings by Pandora. I feel so bad for the poor guy.

I think I'm slightly in shock, I don't know about him...

I know your pain, I have a bun with megacolon... That could be an Atticus poop does your bun produce normal poops like Pandoras on the left? Aswell as the odd ones?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Warren Scout

No, doesn't look like it. I thought he did at first, back when he was bonded with Pandora, but I can only assume now that they were all hers just in differing shades. His poop is horrendous. There were some other sizable stinkers in that batch but that one was just jawdropping. I was rendered speechless, had to comfort him a bit and even now sitting here with my legs crossed in sympathy. I don't know how the poor boy manages it.
    ...................................... ~ Pandora Bea and Bailey Brychan ~ ..................................................
    ~ At the Bridge ~ Bandit Mist, Sealy Calkin, Schatje-Oren Turin, Mattie Harigen and Ciara Konijn ~

Poor Bailey, my bridge bun Toffee used to produce some horrendous looking poops. On the other hand, Padoras look perfect little nuggets
    [IMG][/IMG

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Scout

Most of her poos are very normal, if slightly on the small side at the moment. If pooping was an olympic sport, she'd be a medallist. She is, however, going to the vets tomorrow partly because of her pre-existing nasal condition but also because she did a rather horrific pile of mess the other day and I think her tummy discomfort is still present on some level, so I think something gut related is going on with her.

Hello Bindi,
    I would not have believed this can from a smaller bunny before I got Dash. My Dash has the same problems as Bailey. Dash weighs about 0.75-0.8 kg and one of his first poos after his latest bout of stasis was also a prize winner. It must be hard on his GI tract to pass these poos so I give him some Medicam for pain/inflammation for a few day following such a feat.
    Dash has always made oval poos that are the size of 2 or 3 normal poos for a bunny his size. They range in shape and size-some are lumpy and misshapen, others smooth and oval. However, it is only when he makes his first couple poos following stasis/impaction that he makes the ones that are extremely long and/or wide.
    Perhaps my Dash and your Bailey are related.
    Dash and I are sending a blue ribbon to Bailey for is Guinness Record winning poo.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 26-06-2019 at 03:40 AM.

Warren Scout

Is Dash the bunny in your profile picture?

Those poops do sound rather like Bailey's!

Megacolon Syndrome is also called "Spotty Rabbit Syndrome" because it occurs often in rabbits with a particular coat pattern because of a genetic fault, which Bailey must have. If Dash is the little smoky nethie, there may be other lesser known causes of a megacolon formation that he has fallen foul of. I vaguely recall that the rescue I got Bailey from had another case where they suspected megacolon syndrome but the rabbit did not have the classic coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
    Is Dash the bunny in your profile picture?

Those poops do sound rather like Bailey's!

Megacolon Syndrome is also called "Spotty Rabbit Syndrome" because it occurs often in rabbits with a particular coat pattern because of a genetic fault, which Bailey must have. If Dash is the little smoky nethie, there may be other lesser known causes of a megacolon formation that he has fallen foul of. I vaguely recall that the rescue I got Bailey from had another case where they suspected megacolon syndrome but the rabbit did not have the classic coat.
    Hello Bindi,
    The bunny in my profile picture is my late CX, a Siamese smoke pearl Netherland dwarf rabbit. CX was a retired show bunny with chronic upper respiratory problems for over half of his 13 year life.
    Dash is himilayan colored Netherland dwarf who is white with grey fur on the areas of his body that are cooler (ears, feet, nose, tail). He does not have the typical broken, spotty coat pattern most commonly associated with megacolon, yet he has the symptoms. My vet also said Dash shows signs of dysautonomia. His littermate, Evan, also had GI issues. Evan passed away in December even though he was only two and a half years old following a serious stasis event that we could not overcome.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 26-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Warren Scout

Poor little guys. What a good innings for little CX. I love Nethies, I've had two now (both rescues). Megacolon Syndrome is such a rotten thing for them to go through, I'm glad that Bailey has such a strong bouncy personality the rest of the time. Aside from his enormous poopage, he usually only has a couple of episodes a year, although somewhat concerningly he's had stasis three times since November. He is getting older though, he's at least seven at this point.

You are so right about the typical ND bunnies having lots of energy, although there are exceptions like my Gemini.
    Of course, Dash even has more energy that most ND bunnies. When I say he bounces off the walls, I am not speaking figuratively. Dash is quite the acrobat.
    His late littermate, Evan was the opposite. Evan was a very laid back lap bunny.

I may have finally uploaded the early pictures of Dash and Evan in the Stories and Photos section of RU.
    Dash has larger ears and he is always on the move investigating everything as you can see from the blurs (images) in my Dash photos.
    For such a little bunny he is aptly named because he has dashing good looks (like your Bailey), plus he dashes all around. He rarely sits still unless I am doling out dandelion greens (his favorite).
    When he is not active, it normally means it is another stasis episode. This explains why I jumped up and got meds/fluids ready when he was having an afternoon snooze!
    Dash was doing well for many months, then in Spring he began having more frequent episodes of GI stasis; and they are also lasting more hours/days. He even got his latest GI stasis while I was still giving him Cisapride from a prior episode.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 27-06-2019 at 08:11 AM.