• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dopey 1- 25-06-2006 - 13-03-2019

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Lady,

We knew this day would come, and I’ve been on edge waiting, for a long time. But you kept going and kept going for a very long time- I have such a long story to recount now. I’m so sorry I’ve avoided writing this for so very long.

I had the pleasure of meeting at the start of August 2006, when we met you and your sister, and litter mate, to see if you would come home with us. You were only 5 weeks old, so not ready to come home at that point, but we knew we would take two of you.

When we went back on 17th August 2006, it was you and your identical litter mate who came home. That didn’t go to plan, because after the journey, your sister’s nose started running, so we took you back. We ended up bringing you home and putting you in an ultra-strict quarantine. Turned out later that she had a genetic malfunction- you were the only one of that genetic line to escape it- it’s how you lived so long.

When you first went into your hutch, you and your sister were very nosey and curious and laid back. You were such friendly little ladies. You had a really good go at falling out of your hutch, and we always had to be aware of your curiosity and lack of fear or awareness around anything.

7PmMgYh.jpg

You were a jumper, and ended up with the name Pogo, and your sister sended up as Polo, but, we could barely tell you apart, so you collectively because ‘The Dopeys’. In time, you were Dopey 1, as the slightly bigger sister, and she was Dopey 2.

qan8w9d.jpg

You were absolutely inseparable. You lived together, unspayed, and were just luscious together. You also had this really weird ‘thing’ where you would be doing exactly the same thing at the same time. You were so connected to each other it was just really something.

G19z5vQ.jpg

When she had a post injection wound, you became a nurse bunny and overgroomed it and looked after her too much, so we had to temporarily separate you, unless you were supervised- but you still kept your bond.

You were both pretty loud. She honked, and you quacked. You made some amazing nests in you litter trays- nests like I’ve never seen before. Your hormones were rampant, and whilst you had a tendency towards territorialness to us (her more than you), you were always 100% ok together.

Then we got your spayed, and your recovery was a lot easier because you got a lot of comfort from each other. That was so lovely to see.

f6Rd9W7.jpg

You kept bumbling around in your own little Dopey way, as a little pair, but I was becoming increasingly aware of how dependent you were on each other, and decided you needed to be a trio.

Enter Cloud.

Cloud bonded with you both and you, somehow, accepted him for all his turdiness. You were such a good little fit- you and Dopey 2 and Cloud. You were a good balance and you helped him calm down. You also tolerated him when he was being a toad. You would all snuggle together and ere a very attractive trio too.

We got a little ambitious, and tried to add in Candyfloss, but this didn’t work.

DPAg0Fv.jpg

You were briefly back as a pair, as Cloud was with Floss, but, in time, that also broke down, and he ended up back with you.

elDQ9gq.jpg

You had a good, nearly two years with him, but he was so poorly, and sadly, we lost him when he was young, and you, once again, went back to being the Dopeys.

But we had the same problem as before- the two of you were together, and so dependent, and I was scared for either of you to be separate from the other.

Little Lightning was looking for some friends, and he was a lovely boy, lovely nature. The bond was so smooth, and I think living with him was a lot less stressful and enjoyable for you both than it was, living with Cloudyboy.

You were all so happy. Poddling around, always close, lots of grooming in all directions, lots of company and love. I don’t remember him teaching you any bad single habits, but you taught him how to be a bunny and how to have friends.

nLoN3Vs.jpg

But you were all getting older- you were the healthiest, but he developed dental issues and then a really big abscess, and the other half of you developed heart problems (meaning we had to mark her nose blue, to ensure we medicated the right one of you- it was still super hard to tell you both apart; I was the only one who could). I thought that I would end up with you all alone anyway.

On 8th November 2012, the unthinkable happened, and after many years of battling for her life, we lost Dopey 2. I was so worried about how you would be, having lost your other half. Only, you carried on. In later years we joked that you must have absorbed the other Dopey into you, given your life span.

Lightning remained your friend and you and he were then a solid couple. It turned out that as long as you had a bunny friend, you were happy. You were both getting on, but you bobbed about. You enjoyed life outside until your arthritis was too much to manage outside, and we moved you inside. You gathered some health problems along the way (the arthritis, dental abscesses, kidney issues, digestive issues) and your sight and hearing declined- or so we thought. In later years we thought this was a tactical movement from you- you seemed to be able to see and hear when you wanted, and to your benefit- the rest of the time- nope.

U82Akj9.jpg

EaQdkpY.jpg

It was great fun having you in my room. You were such a spritely old lady. VERY tidy too. Out of everyone, you and Lighters were trusted to have the biggest area to roam, and you roamed into the spare room and anywhere else, really. It seemed to keep you young, to have more spaces to explore. Your body was failing, but your mind was so strong, and so alert. You had such a zest for life.

fHTnzkY.jpg

You and Lighters were both getting older, and both of your bodies were failing, and we weren’t really sure who would leave first, but, on 22nd April 2018, after fighting to save him for a week, Lightning’s body gave up on him. Leaving you alone. At nearly 12 years old- for the first time in your life, you were properly alone.

But not for long. Dawn was a single soul, and had been for a long time- nearly three years by that point. Within a week we had to try. I didn’t want either of you to be alone, and so it made sense.

Once he had decided that the small furry white thing (you) wasn’t something to be scared of, you bonded so quickly, and easily. Two elderly bunnies, in their very twilight years- you were nearly 12, he was nearly 11.

tasYAmW.jpg

You were one of my favourite bonds and pairs ever- because you gave each other what everyone deserves as they age- company, companionship and care. You taught him some naughty habits, showing him how to escape (as he had used to, when he lived with Sunny), showed him the spare room- taught him how to groom again. He came to life and just enjoyed things so much more than when he was alone. I’m so grateful to you for that. You’ll never know.

8CyaDZf.jpg

You guys had several good months together, and really were just simply adorable, but Dawn was then claimed. At that point, I only had three thumping big lops and you couldn’t be bonded with them.

You were ok enough, and your mind was willing, but your body aged and failed quickly. We gave you a stuffed bunny friend, and you adored him, but a stuffed friend is not the same as a real life friend. That said, you would cuddle with him, groom him, and stay with him- to you, he was your friend. (I hope this works).

8GSFpf5.mp4

In those remaining months you slept, a lot, and you were very cute (and it was very stressful to us, trying to work out if you were dead or just sleeping).

3vQr4S5.jpg

BL2ADkT.jpg

uMxTqXe.jpg

x4Aq0FK.jpg

IHWIoJu.jpg

You would sleep and dream and fall over, because of your arthritis, and then not be able to right yourself. We did a lot of putting you up the right way- but you always carried on. Thankfully, you never did this when we weren’t around (or, if you did, you managed to get yourself up)- at night, your scrabbling would wake me up, and during the day you were coming down into the living room for company with us. But you still carried on, full of life, when you were awake.

WWqyK8c.jpg

Until 13th March 2019, when my dad got home and found you on your side, and it seemed like you had been there a long time. You were weak and weren’t easily stabilised, and were covered in caecs. Once you were upright and staying that way, you were still your normal popping self, but I had a choice to make.

We could bath you, and risk this happening again- we knew you were failing, and I never, ever wanted to let you down. Or we called it a day, one day to early. And we went for the latter. You weren’t psychologically ready, but your body was. It was frail and old and it had wound down. But, with some help, you left us, peacefully, being cuddled.

It’s taken me a long, long time to write this lady. I couldn’t deal with it back then, and I’m not much better now, but I promised you I’d post on your 13th birthday, and that’s today.

You were the sweetest, nicest, funniest rabbit we’ve had. To live the life you did, and to outlive, not one, not two, but three husbands, and your sister, says a lot for the rabbit that you were.

After you’d gone, for a long time, I’d still roll over in bed to look at you, and you wouldn’t be there. Now that the cage has come down, I see you in my minds eye, always, just coming over for food and jumping around without a care in the world.

You were the last of the ‘original’ bunnies, and, when you died, the end of an era occurred, and that’s been hard to process. We had you for the privilege of nearly 13 years. That’s an amazing gift you gave us. I will always wish we had you for longer, but that’s true for all of you- it’s always too early.

Lady, thank you. Thank you so much for being my friend, and sharing my room, and just being you. I truly hope that Rainbow Bridge exists and that you have found your other half, and all your husbunnies, and that they aren’t fighting over you. I hope that you are now back in your healthy body, not the frail body that wouldn’t let you do what your mind wanted you to do.

I miss you every day. I miss my sweet, gentle, delicate little friend. But I’m grateful everyday I had you for as long as I did.

Love always.

Xxx

gkEX19g.jpg

f1QXfPv.jpg

fCraPly.jpg

s6EtM82.jpg

UPjs4wE.jpg

Dopey 1
25-06-2006 – 03-15-2019
The second half has found the first.

I'm so tired of losing my friend, of having to grieve. I'm so tired of loss. It just hurts so very much.

The tributes you post for each of your Rabbits who eventually pass away, as every living being has to in the end, are all so heartfelt and portray the depth of connection you had with them. Dopey 1 being no exception. A truly wonderful and moving account of the life of a much loved Rabbit who will remain in your heart forever.

RIP Dopey 1, somehow, somewhere, I believe that your are now reunited with Dopey 2. Be it in the form of memories held by those who loved/love you or something else beyond my comprehension xx

I’m so sorry you lost her :cry: it’s a beautiful tribute to an amazing bunny :love:

Thinking of you xx

Such a beautiful tribute to a wonderful rabbit :love:

I am so sorry she had to leave you, but I'm also so glad that she was part of your life :love:

Your tributes are always so poignant and heartfelt. Binky free little Dopey 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no cure for the pain we feel at the loss of friends :cry: ...but then if there were, would we remember the deep love we felt for them which is why the pain is just as deep? And yet the memory of loved friends goes deeper still and can't be taken from us.

Thinking of you and sending gentle, comforting thoughts your way. (((((Hugs)))))

Sleep well, Dopey 1. xxxx

Back