Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it 'Wrong' to Keep House Rabbits ?

I agree with you Jane. Whilst the natural instinct is for them to be outside, in our world now, it has become a dangerous environment. We rescue our rabbits to give them a second chance of life and with that comes conditions. We must keep them safe from harm, be their food provider and ensure their health and wellbeing needs are met. If we can do that from a perspective of being indoor, and adapt the conditions but also provide some degree of external stimulous, then in my opinion we are giving those rabbits the safe loving enviornment that they need.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

There are definitely pros and cons to both. I wouldn't say outdoor set ups are more natural expect the fresh air and the grass. I have found having my bunnies inside is more controlled environment for example my bunnies might have to listen to neighbours having garden parties, fireworks, music, building work all things out of my control. I find it easier to monitor the temperature with the air con and I have fly screens in all the windows of my house for some fresh air. Although this could be achieved by a good outdoor set up I wouldn't be able to spend that sort of money to build something for them outdoors when eventually we want to move. Maybe in our forever house but I do like that you can monitor bunnies round the clock Indoors. Difficult one

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie
    Humanisation to the nation ~ One Love ~ Tipper Tapper Toby

I believe that Dillon would not cope outdoors. He has supervised time out in the run and if it is the slightest bit windy or raining he is very unhappy. He seems to hate the wind. Susan on the other hand would dearly love to be an outdoor bunny - as she does not have a lot of sight I think she gets more from the smells etc outside than she does indoor.

Healthwise - my vet recommended a daylight light for them due to vitamin D but I didnt get one.

Warren Veteran

It is mostly the norm in the US to keep rabbits indoors and it is really for the most part just breeders who keep them outside. There are the exceptions of course but as you said most rescues frown on keeping them outside. I think that the weather in the US plays the biggest part in that thinking. Most states here are either way too hot in the Summer or way too cold in the Winter months. Here in Texas and other southern states with a large squirrel population it is dangerous for them to even play outdoors as the bot fly is a huge concern.

it's a difficult question imo. some interesting views have been expressed & i don't disagree with any of them.

my personal opinion is that it all depends on the individual rabbit but an out-doorsy rabbit would be ok indoors whereas an in-doorsy rabbit might not be suitable for outdoors.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

if you're reading this it's too late

Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    it's a difficult question imo. some interesting views have been expressed & i don't disagree with any of them.

my personal opinion is that it all depends on the individual rabbit but an out-doorsy rabbit would be ok indoors whereas an in-doorsy rabbit might not be suitable for outdoors.
    Yea Atticus hates it outdoors he gets really unwell it's all a mess, sometimes he seems to like it.. But Idk he could never live outside anyway because he'd get fly strike because of his gut issues.. Clementine doesn't mind too much but prefers inside. White buns don't seem fussy but just like to be where you are, but love running around outside they seem more relaxed inside though - tough one!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

the reason most rabbits are indoors in the USa is both weather and predators..they have many more animals and birds that would be a huge risk to outdoor pets

As for this country, as others have said pros and cons for both .
    the importance is more what space the rabbits have, how much enviromental enrichment and of course a rabbits friend wherever possible.
    An indoor rabbit kept alone in a small plastic based cage with nothing but woodshavings and let out once a week for 5 minutes is not going to be a happy rabbit.
    the same goes for a rabbit kept alone at the bottom of the garden in a 3 foot wooden box .
    so both can be good
    Jane which UK rescues don't home to indoors?
    Jill

My two bridge buns were Total house rabbits.We had Rio first,we did build a run for him in the garden but he didn't like being outside .He just hunkered down in the hidey hole, didn't even nibble the grass etc, He really was a carpet lounge lizard,bless him .We got him a wife bun two years later (Cleo) she was not people friendly at all but she loved Rio.Both had the run of the house, supervised.They were destructa buns, wallpaper stripping a speciality.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
    the reason most rabbits are indoors in the USa is both weather and predators..they have many more animals and birds that would be a huge risk to outdoor pets

As for this country, as others have said pros and cons for both .
    the importance is more what space the rabbits have, how much enviromental enrichment and of course a rabbits friend wherever possible.
    An indoor rabbit kept alone in a small plastic based cage with nothing but woodshavings and let out once a week for 5 minutes is not going to be a happy rabbit.
    the same goes for a rabbit kept alone at the bottom of the garden in a 3 foot wooden box .
    so both can be good
    Jane which UK rescues don't home to indoors?
    I dont think I should name them, but they are small local set-ups, one takes in Cats too and applies the 'no indoor cat' rules.

I can honestly say that I have never had a Rabbit who hated living indoors but I am sure many would equally have enjoyed an outdoor life (in a large set-up). But I have had a few Rabbits who were/are terrified outdoors. As I said in a previous post, Aoife screamed when I put her outside for the first time She continued screaming and charging around in blind (literally) panic, running into the fence and getting more terrified. I felt absolutely awful that I had put her in such a terrifying position. Had I realised how bad her eyesight is and how she'd react outside I would never put her out there. I certainly never will again.
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 26-06-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund- a fantastic source of information about Rabbits

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

I agree with everyone - depends on the rabbits & what the set up provides. I often think that if I had limitless money & space I'd like an awesome outside space for bunnies but they'd only get fair weather attention from me which would prob mean if / when they needed treatment the hands on bit would be more stressful for them. On the whole my rabbits over the years have enjoyed their people contact; some more than others & prob none as much as me.

Boo is far too spooky outside which will be due to her eyesight & hearing issues. joey I think would enjoy being outside full term.

I do like the idea of rabbits getting fresh air, being able to dig & the natural enrichment that comes from listening to & watching wildlife & other goings on.

Its interesting that you worry more about rabbits than other pets jane. I've noticed this in other multi pet households. i wonder what it is. I've been a rabbit only household since 23 years old - must be a glutton for punishment