• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it 'Wrong' to Keep House Rabbits ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Recently I have been reading some things about the keeping of Rabbits as Pets and whether it is better (for them) to be outdoors-ie in a more 'natural' environment. Also, if there are any potential negative effects on a Rabbit's health if they are indoors all of the time.

In an ideal world I would rather Rabbits had never been 'domesticated' in the first place. But as they already have been it is obviously our responsibility to provide the best environment for them.

Do you think that the 'best' environment can be achieved if the Rabbit(s) are permanently indoors, even if they are Free Range 24/7.

If I had the funds and the space I would love to keep my Rabbits in a bespoke designed outdoor set up that would be 100% predator proof, but as near to a natural Rabbit environment as possible.

My Rabbits are mostly indoors, although they do get garden time (supervised) weather permitting. Except for Aoife. She is almost blind and is terrified of the outdoors. She actually screams in fear :cry: But her situation is exceptional and the more I think about it the more I feel that providing a natural safe outdoor environment for Pet Rabbits is the best for them.

Some Rescues (mostly in the USA) wont rehome to anyone wanting to keep the Rabbits outdoors. Conversely I have recently had conversations with two UK Rescues (not on RU) who will not rehome to anyone wanting to keep the Rabbits indoors.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this subject ?

You could say similar about guinea pigs really, and I have similar thoughts. But there are bigger issues about the weather there for guinea pigs than rabbits. I think in the US the reason rescues are so concerned about people wanting to keep animals outdoors is because of extreme weather.

I dunno... I think it's potentially complex, in that an indoor animal is likely to have any health conditions picked up much sooner, even if they are suffering at all from the lack of natural environment.

When I had bunnies, I started with them outdoors and eventually moved them indoors for their health (any extremes of temperature put them into stasis, plus they needed watching like a hawk for going into stasis at any time of day). But I'm quite sure that they were happier outside.

Personally, I prefer having indoor rabbits, and I think they (mine anyway) seem very happy with the arrangement. I think it depends on the rabbits involved, my bridge quad would have hated being indoors, although they were 2 half wild bunnies and 2 very skittish lion heads. They had a shed and aviary style run.

I always believe outdoors must be healthier for rabbits, in the fresh air listening to the birds, feeling the breeze etc whereas indoors can become too warm and stuffy, more dust floating around, cooking smells, other smells. All my rabbits are outside but my friend's rabbits are always indoors and I have them here now while they are away. They are 5.5 now and tbh they don't look as healthy as mine, even 8 yr olds. Is this because of their environment, they can't leave a window open while they are at work and their room is dark in the winter. Hope she doesn't read this, but it's what I believe, rightly or wrongly.

It depends - some indoor set-ups are more outdoorsy than a 'standard' home would ever be. Equally, some 'traditional' outside set-ups are totally unsuitable for rabbits. There is always going to be a compromise when it comes to domesticated pets like rabbits. Nothing is going to be 'perfect' as it is always a balance between available space, security from harm, freedom from disease, natural vs pellet diet, company, etc. If they have an environment that (on balance) best meets their needs (and we actually understand those needs properly), an informed choice that is the best we can hope for. There is no such thing as the 'perfect' home as there is always something that could be improved upon.

I have a similar dilemma with cats. Mine are all indoor cats now. They will have longer lives with much less risk of injury (mainly from other cats and cars, or being stolen) and disease, but they won't be as physically fit / muscular as an outdoor cat would be, as it just isn't possible to replicate that indoors or in a restricted outdoor space. For elderly or disabled cats, I don't think it is that much of an issue as their needs are are better catered for indoors. For younger, healthy cats - I have chosen a different life for them than they would probably have had, as they are more couch potato than olympic athlete - but as they are rescues, their fate has definitely improved over where they were picked up from. Plus I now have a lot of birds returning to the garden.

I think it really is a case of compromise. What we, as Rabbit care givers can offer and what Pet Rabbits need. I know I could not adequately care for outdoor Rabbits during winter months due to my health problems. But I believe that the indoor life I give to my 6 Rabbits is better than the outdoor hutch bound life many Pet Rabbits have. Plus, from a selfish perspective I get so much more companionship from having indoor Rabbits.

I agree with SarahP's comment regarding picking up on a potential health problem more promptly if the Rabbit is indoors. Purely by virtue of the fact that we, the care givers, spend far more time with an indoor Rabbit/Rabbits.

I think there are pros and cons for both options. And as previously mentioned, a few Rabbits may not cope outdoors at all. Likewise, there must be some Rabbits who would be terrified indoors. Things we take for granted like the smells of cooking or the noise of a washing machine could cause a huge amount of distress to some Rabbits used to an outdoor life.

I dont know what it is about Rabbits, but ever since I have had them as Pets since 1998 I have always had the feeling that I could/should do better for them. I dont get the same feeling of inadequacy about other Pets I have had/have x

I think it depends on the individual and what they can provide in either situation, also on the individual rabbit.
Given the same amount of space and enrichment in an indoor and outdoor accommodation I believe most rabbits would be happier outside in the warmer months but indoor in the wet/colder months.
The dream housing for me is free range house bunnies with a cat flap to an outdoor run on grass :love:

In my situation it was possible to give them more space and enrichment inside, it's also easier for me to keep their environment clean and dust free, and I feel like the three I've had living inside enjoyed having people around to interact with (which surprised me). I'm glad Lola was inside when she was left a single rabbit, and not outside on her own.

As for health and being indoor, Niggy was bright as a button until she had her (suspected) brain tumours out of the blue at 10. Lola is still zooming around like a baby at 10. The vet commented last week on how it's rare to see a rabbit in such good condition at any age.
Mine all have/had pasturella and I've barely noticed it since they came inside. Outside they'd often have a flare up at the change of seasons (though still nothing major).
That said, I'm sure there are certain health problems that would likely be made better by being outside.

All in all, I think if you do your best you can't go far wrong. Maybe my rabbits would be happier outside, by they certainly seem to be loving their life in so I'm not worrying about it!

Many of mine wouldn't have lived the lives they did, for the length they did, had they lived outside. For me, I don't think I could make any kind of blanket statement, but I do think, as always, it's based on the needs of the rabbits themselves. If one follows the needs of individual and specific rabbits, then one can't go wrong- in my opinion.

Mr B definitely loved the luxury of being inside. Bandit hated being inside.

Don't know if you remember Sunshine, he preferred being inside. I used to take him out and he used to run back in and go under our bed.

It's a bit like cats who hardly ever go outside other than toilet and cats that love to spend most of their time outside. Although cats would be described as more domesticated, certain breeds of rabbits are becoming domesticated over the years.

On the whole I feel they prefer being outside but I do believe some are happy inside.

The dream housing for me is free range house bunnies with a cat flap to an outdoor run on grass

This is what I have and the majority of my rabbits have chosen to spend most of the time outside or in the shed, even in the winter. I have noticed that they tend to spend longer indoors as they get a bit older or poorly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you Jane. Whilst the natural instinct is for them to be outside, in our world now, it has become a dangerous environment. We rescue our rabbits to give them a second chance of life and with that comes conditions. We must keep them safe from harm, be their food provider and ensure their health and wellbeing needs are met. If we can do that from a perspective of being indoor, and adapt the conditions but also provide some degree of external stimulous, then in my opinion we are giving those rabbits the safe loving enviornment that they need.

There are definitely pros and cons to both. I wouldn't say outdoor set ups are more natural expect the fresh air and the grass. I have found having my bunnies inside is more controlled environment for example my bunnies might have to listen to neighbours having garden parties, fireworks, music, building work all things out of my control. I find it easier to monitor the temperature with the air con and I have fly screens in all the windows of my house for some fresh air. Although this could be achieved by a good outdoor set up I wouldn't be able to spend that sort of money to build something for them outdoors when eventually we want to move. Maybe in our forever house but I do like that you can monitor bunnies round the clock Indoors. Difficult one

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I believe that Dillon would not cope outdoors. He has supervised time out in the run and if it is the slightest bit windy or raining he is very unhappy. He seems to hate the wind. Susan on the other hand would dearly love to be an outdoor bunny - as she does not have a lot of sight I think she gets more from the smells etc outside than she does indoor.

Healthwise - my vet recommended a daylight light for them due to vitamin D but I didnt get one.

It is mostly the norm in the US to keep rabbits indoors and it is really for the most part just breeders who keep them outside. There are the exceptions of course but as you said most rescues frown on keeping them outside. I think that the weather in the US plays the biggest part in that thinking. Most states here are either way too hot in the Summer or way too cold in the Winter months. Here in Texas and other southern states with a large squirrel population it is dangerous for them to even play outdoors as the bot fly is a huge concern.

it's a difficult question imo. some interesting views have been expressed & i don't disagree with any of them.

my personal opinion is that it all depends on the individual rabbit but an out-doorsy rabbit would be ok indoors whereas an in-doorsy rabbit might not be suitable for outdoors.

it's a difficult question imo. some interesting views have been expressed & i don't disagree with any of them.

my personal opinion is that it all depends on the individual rabbit but an out-doorsy rabbit would be ok indoors whereas an in-doorsy rabbit might not be suitable for outdoors.
Yea Atticus hates it outdoors he gets really unwell it's all a mess, sometimes he seems to like it.. But Idk he could never live outside anyway because he'd get fly strike because of his gut issues.. Clementine doesn't mind too much but prefers inside. White buns don't seem fussy but just like to be where you are, but love running around outside :D they seem more relaxed inside though - tough one!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

the reason most rabbits are indoors in the USa is both weather and predators..they have many more animals and birds that would be a huge risk to outdoor pets

As for this country, as others have said pros and cons for both .
the importance is more what space the rabbits have, how much enviromental enrichment and of course a rabbits friend wherever possible.
An indoor rabbit kept alone in a small plastic based cage with nothing but woodshavings and let out once a week for 5 minutes is not going to be a happy rabbit.
the same goes for a rabbit kept alone at the bottom of the garden in a 3 foot wooden box .
so both can be good
Jane which UK rescues don't home to indoors?

My two bridge buns were Total house rabbits.We had Rio first,we did build a run for him in the garden but he didn't like being outside .He just hunkered down in the hidey hole, didn't even nibble the grass etc, He really was a carpet lounge lizard,bless him .We got him a wife bun two years later (Cleo) she was not people friendly at all but she loved Rio.Both had the run of the house, supervised.They were destructa buns, wallpaper stripping a speciality.:roll:

the reason most rabbits are indoors in the USa is both weather and predators..they have many more animals and birds that would be a huge risk to outdoor pets

As for this country, as others have said pros and cons for both .
the importance is more what space the rabbits have, how much enviromental enrichment and of course a rabbits friend wherever possible.
An indoor rabbit kept alone in a small plastic based cage with nothing but woodshavings and let out once a week for 5 minutes is not going to be a happy rabbit.
the same goes for a rabbit kept alone at the bottom of the garden in a 3 foot wooden box .
so both can be good
Jane which UK rescues don't home to indoors?

I dont think I should name them, but they are small local set-ups, one takes in Cats too and applies the 'no indoor cat' rules.

I can honestly say that I have never had a Rabbit who hated living indoors but I am sure many would equally have enjoyed an outdoor life (in a large set-up). But I have had a few Rabbits who were/are terrified outdoors. As I said in a previous post, Aoife screamed when I put her outside for the first time :cry: She continued screaming and charging around in blind (literally) panic, running into the fence and getting more terrified. I felt absolutely awful that I had put her in such a terrifying position. Had I realised how bad her eyesight is and how she'd react outside I would never put her out there. I certainly never will again.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone - depends on the rabbits & what the set up provides. I often think that if I had limitless money & space I'd like an awesome outside space for bunnies but they'd only get fair weather attention from me which would prob mean if / when they needed treatment the hands on bit would be more stressful for them. On the whole my rabbits over the years have enjoyed their people contact; some more than others & prob none as much as me.

Boo is far too spooky outside which will be due to her eyesight & hearing issues. joey I think would enjoy being outside full term.

I do like the idea of rabbits getting fresh air, being able to dig & the natural enrichment that comes from listening to & watching wildlife & other goings on.

Its interesting that you worry more about rabbits than other pets jane. I've noticed this in other multi pet households. i wonder what it is. I've been a rabbit only household since 23 years old - must be a glutton for punishment

Back