• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Onana, Lukaku and us

Loxicom is virtually the same as metacam, some rabbits prefer the taste of metacam according to an old post I just found. I would imagine a little banana would be ok, you wouldn’t need much to mix in the meds, although you need to check they like it first. To be honest, although you do need to introduce new foods slowly, when I’ve been at my wits end trying to get Frosty eating after a dental I have tried him on new things in desperation!

Loxicom is another name for Metacam. It's the same. Have you tried giving it by syringe? Try not picking them up, pushing the Loxicom to the end of the syringe so that each rabbit can taste it first and then offering it. If that is not possible, then it would not hurt to disguise it in a small amount of banana. However, I would try the banana first to make sure they would eat it. The problem with putting medication in any food is that the rabbit has to eat all of the food to get the correct amount.

Good luck. It's one of the hardest jobs in the world sometimes to medicate poorly rabbits :)

ETA I've just realised it almost 9am when you need to phone the vets. Tbh I think if you're still concerned and still finding it difficult to get them to take the Loxicom, it might be worth taking them back to the vets this morning and possibly getting a vet nurse to give them another pain relief injection. Also depends of course how far away the vets are.

Last edited:
Just phoned my vet and they suggested the same as Omi - just try with sweet fruit and if not working bring them in for another injection. The vets are just five minutes away, but I would prefer not to have to pack them up again and put them under more stress. I will try the banana trick first!

I hope you managed to get it sorted. I usually draw up the med in the syringe and then draw up a tiny bit of neat ribena or similar to make it take nicer. Sending vibes x

We had success with the banana - well part success, but I hope they got enough of the dosage to make them feel better. Lukaku is eating and doing poo fine, he is just sleepy, but seems okay. Onana continued to refuse to eat and did no poo. I tried all fifteen minutes or so to feed him something, while in the meantime returning to my desk and trying (in vain) to get some work done. I had closed Lukaku's cage, but had not bothered to close Onana's. It didn't occur to me because I am so used to letting them open. And he was anyway just hiding in his hut ...
And then I turned around and there he was!
I didn't know what to do. Chasing him back in seems more stressful to me than just letting him slowly hop around. What he did was laying down next to the dividing fence to be near Lukaku as he always does. I let him in peace for a while, then tried to feed him some dandelion, which he ate six very little leaves of. And a bit of hay. Not much. But enough to hop back to his toilet and do a small poo. It is still worrying, he eats next to nothing, and the poo doesn't really amount to much. I will count that as a good sign, though. I am supposed to phone the vets again this afternoon and hope there is some further improvement in the meantime. Thank you all for your good thoughts and vibes and wishes!

Maybe let Onana move around and leave small piles of fresh food for him to find such as Rose petals and leaves and/or more Dandelion leaves.

Yes, much better night, thank you!
Both eating and outcome is fine.
I think we are over the worst.
This was really scary ... made me see how much they mean to me. To all three of us.
Thank you so much for your support.

Back