• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Onana, Lukaku and us

How long is it since you got them home? Frosty sometimes won’t eat for nearly an hour after getting back from the vets as he gets in a sulk!

Did the vet say if they’ve had painkiller, and if so what type?

Thank you, nova swift! I love them so much and I am so worried about them. I read what happened to you and feel so so sorry.

Zoobec, they had painkiller that should last to tomorrow morning, and then I should give more. It is called loxicom. We are back since an hour now. There is no change in both of them. About Lukaku I'm not that worried, because he as eaten a bit (some salad, mint and a bit of celery) at the vet's, but Onana hasn't eaten at all. I am so scared to lose him.

Thank you all for putting up with me and helping me so much.

Thank you, nova swift! I love them so much and I am so worried about them. I read what happened to you and feel so so sorry.

Zoobec, they had painkiller that should last to tomorrow morning, and then I should give more. It is called loxicom. We are back since an hour now. There is no change in both of them. About Lukaku I'm not that worried, because he as eaten a bit (some salad, mint and a bit of celery) at the vet's, but Onana hasn't eaten at all. I am so scared to lose him.

Thank you all for putting up with me and helping me so much.

Keep posting and let us know how they are getting on. What did the vet say to do if he hadn't eaten after another half an hour? I would think it's just a case of recovering from the anaesthetic. I know that bucks usually are quicker to recover from a neuter, but my doe didn't eat anything after her spay until about five o'clock the next morning.

Yes, that’s what we are here for, keep posting. Some of my threads after Frosty has had a dental turn into mega threads with me needing support!

I hope they are nibbling more. Sending vibes and hugs to you.

Lukaku has eaten salad and herbs and hay and done a poo! Onana has eaten a bit of a twig, half a salad leaf and a bite of pear!

Lukaku has eaten salad and herbs and hay and done a poo! Onana has eaten a bit of a twig, half a salad leaf and a bite of pear!

Yay for poop and eating :thumb: come on boys :love: I’m sure they will continue to improve now, so try not to worry, although I know it’s easier said than done!

It wasn't an easy night and Onana has yet to do a poo (this reminds me so much to the time when the children were babies ...) but he is munching hay, so I am hopeful. If there is nothing until nine I phone the vet. I'm already glad that it will be our own lovely vet to go back to if we have to, not the emergency service. But I would so much prefer keeping them here in their own home.

I forgot to say that it was really Omi's advice with crunching up the mint that did the trick with our Onana. I only had to rub the leaves between my fingers to free the scent to get him finally interested. Thank you!

I have one more question. Our vet advised that I should keep them in their cages until the wound is healed. That seems cruel to me. Those cages haven't been closed since Lukaku and Onana moved in. They are comparatively big (1,40 m in length) and they each love their cage, they sometimes make me laugh because they seem so "house proud" but they equally love running around each in their half of the room so quickly that one can hardly follow them (Onana with a ball in his mouth!) and do that lovely rabbit dance in the air with their hind legs. How can I keep them caged for five or more days? Is that really necessary? I do really trust our vets, they have been fantastic and will help with re-bonding but that one piece of advice I find a bit hard on Lukaku and Onana. They will be bored to death! What do you think? And if you agree with our vet - how could I make that time a bit more entertaining for them?

So glad it went well :) and it's looking positive :D lots of vibes for them x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think if they are eating they will be ok now, Onana was last to start eating so will be slower to start pooping, but I’m sure the vet will suggest that he sees them if necessary.

It is harsh when you have to keep them confined and it’s a long time since I had spaying/neutering done as most rabbits were done in rescue before I got them, so I can’t remember how long my vet recommended they were confined for. You are right, to see rabbits running and binkying around is the best :love:

Topping up the vibes:love:

I'm pleased that they are continuing to improve. Do you have to take them back to the vet in the next day or two for a wound check? Did the vet suggest how long it would be for the wound to heal? I took Tui back to the vets for a wound check for her spay after three days and they were then content for her to move around quite freely, but not jump on anything. They live in a shed with an attached run. Before the wound check she was free to move around the shed and after the three days she went in and out of the shed via a cat flap.

Personally I would assess what type of movements would be involved for them both if they were out of their cages and free to move in their half. If there's no liklihood of them jumping up on furniture etc, I would be inclined to at least allow them brief periods out of their cages. The general advice to keep them in their cages must also take into account what the un-caged area is like in my view.

That is what I will do.
At the moment they are both poorly. Onana hidden in his hutch, which he never does, and Lukaku not touching his herbs, which he loves. I feel so bad. The painkiller I can't get into them either. Feel at a loss at the moment. Will try to give them a bit of peace and then try again to get somewhere. At nine I phone the vet. They had told me I only have to come for a check-up next week, they were totally confident and happy. To be honest, I somehow feel badly informed and think I did the wrong thing. Had I had any idea that it would be that stressful for my animals I wouldn't have done it. It was easy with all my dogs and the cat. (I only ever had male animals.) But here I am sitting, can't work and fear losing my rabbits, unable to help them. That's not what I wanted for them.

Is the painkiller Metacam and do you have a syringe to give it to them? Rabbits generally like the taste of this as it is quite sweet.

Is the painkiller Metacam and do you have a syringe to give it to them? Rabbits generally like the taste of this as it is quite sweet.

:thumb: sometimes they will take it mixed with a little mashed banana or a fruit/veg baby food. Frosty likes the Aldi pouch apple carrot and parsnip food, the Ella’s kitchen ones seem popular on here. I tested the food with Frosty and found one he loved before adding the metacam.

I’m sorry you are having a bad time with them being poorly, usually boys bounce back pretty quickly. Hopefully another dose of painkillers should help.

The painkiller is called Loxicom. Banana they have never eaten. Can I just try to offer it or might that cause more upset?

Thanks for being so patient with me!

Back