Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Onana, Lukaku and us

Last edited by Graciee; 25-06-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Mama Doe

Neutering boys is a fairly straightforward procedure if your vet is used to operating on rabbits. Make sure they are both eating normally before the op. You must never starve a rabbit. They do not have the mechanism to vomit, so there is no risk of this during an anaesthetic, and they need food constantly going in to keep their guts working properly. After the op, they will need to be inside for a day (as yours already are) as they won't be able to regulate their temperature properly. It also makes it easier to monitor input and output. They should be eating before they leave the vet to come home. Poo output should hopefully be back to normal in a day or so, but should never actually stop. You may be given some meds to aid gut transit and advised to syringe feed if they are not eating for themselves straight away. Having some favourite / strong smelling greens on hand may tempt them - herbs (coriander, parsley, etc), celery leaves, etc. They will have a post-op check-up after a couple of days to make sure there is no infection or swelling.

As for bonding - you will need to wait for hormone levels to decrease before you reintroduce them. This could be anything from 6 weeks post-neuter. Personally, I would leave it for at least 3 months as they have previously fought, as this will give the best chance of a successful bond. They can still have contact between bars if that is what they normally do, as long as there is no aggression between them. Bonding is usually best in a neutral area where neither have been before.

Just as an aside - As these bunnies are new to you, I would ask your vet to check their teeth while they are under anaesthetic. It is reassuring to confirm that there are no dental issues brewing, and it is only really possible to have a good look when they are sedated - so this is a good opportunity to get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Onana & Lukaku View Post
    They're both so gorgeous!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

That's a fantastic sploot

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much! That is so useful advice.
    Lukaku and Onana really love all the herbs from our garden - but definitely mint the most (both of them, while their taste differs on other herbs). Would that be okay to feed afterwards? If not, we have cilantro/coriander as well, and they usually like it, that wouldn't be a problem.
    With the bonding I will wait as advised, rather longer than too short. Even though I really want them to have the use of the entire room (and eventually the entire floor) and a companion, for the moment our arrangement is fine, as the room is big enough to be halved and still provide running space for both.
    I was with them for a check yesterday, to have heart, teeth, ears etc checked because I don't want to go ahead with the neutering unless I know they are in perfect health. The vet really took a long time and was very calm and loving with them to make sure, they were fine. But it is a great idea to ask him if he could have another look at their teeth.
    Our vet also told me to bring in food, so they could eat immediately when they woke up and to have food in their transport boxes.

Thanks again. I so hope it will all go well ...

Thank you so much, Graciee!
    I am really crazy ... I am a mom and a granny and feel so proud of Lukaku and Onana as if they were my children or grandchildren. I was really sad, that you couldn't see their pictures, as I have spent already ages to look at all the wonderful rabbits on here ...
    THANK YOU!

Welcome to RU I can see your photos fine, your bunnies are just gorgeous hope all goes well at the vets, I'm sure they will be fine.
    [IMG][/IMG

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

They are adorable

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Thank you, Zoobec and Pets Mum!
    I love them so much and feel so grateful to have them.

Hello and welcome. Big gorgeous bunnies

Good luck with their neuters. X