• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Onana, Lukaku and us

Yes, coriander they like as well and sage and oregano and basil, but mint is their absolute favourite.

Thank you, Glingle! I am totally in love with them.

Your rabbits are gorgeous :love: You're very welcome here and just ask if you need help with anything:) I, too, am interested in their names. Are they their original names or did you re-name them?

Thank you!
They came with the names "Toffee" and "Liquorice", which we didn't like so much, because these are things to eat, and some people do eat rabbits ...
So the three of us sat together and thought about what should be there names for their new life with us, and Onana and Lukaku (our son's suggestions) was what we decided on. By now I can't imagine them being called any different. And the names really fit, as they both love balls. Little Onana takes his willow ball in his mouth and runs three times through the room with it!
What are your rabbits called?
I find names very interesting.

Today is the dreaded day. Between eight and ten I have to bring my two beautiful rabbits in for their surgery. I feel so dreadful and so guilty. Yesterday they were so happy, hopping around, eating their food, relaxing, enjoying life. And not knowing what I had planned to do to them. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them and I feel like cancelling the appointment. But on the other hand I want them to be friends again and have the entire room to hop and play as they like. I wish I knew if I was doing the right thing. Around three the vet will call me. I won't get one bit of work done today and won't be able to think before I have them home with me again, safe and sound.
Please think of us!
Charlie, Onana & Lukaku

Thank you!
They came with the names "Toffee" and "Liquorice", which we didn't like so much, because these are things to eat, and some people do eat rabbits ...
So the three of us sat together and thought about what should be there names for their new life with us, and Onana and Lukaku (our son's suggestions) was what we decided on. By now I can't imagine them being called any different. And the names really fit, as they both love balls. Little Onana takes his willow ball in his mouth and runs three times through the room with it!
What are your rabbits called?
I find names very interesting.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this :oops: I love their new names and how they came to get them :love:

Frosty was called Bruce Lee, which he was given by the rspca on account of the rescue the police, social services and police had to coordinate. He was rescued from the shoulder of his machete wielding owner who was resisting attempts to look after them both. He didn’t know his name and it was a big name for a little rabbit so we called him Frosty on account of his colour.

Fern was called Macadamia in rescue but it didn’t seem to suit her so we picked a short name that sounded good with Frosty :love:

Today is the dreaded day. Between eight and ten I have to bring my two beautiful rabbits in for their surgery. I feel so dreadful and so guilty. Yesterday they were so happy, hopping around, eating their food, relaxing, enjoying life. And not knowing what I had planned to do to them. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them and I feel like cancelling the appointment. But on the other hand I want them to be friends again and have the entire room to hop and play as they like. I wish I knew if I was doing the right thing. Around three the vet will call me. I won't get one bit of work done today and won't be able to think before I have them home with me again, safe and sound.
Please think of us!
Charlie, Onana & Lukaku

Good luck for the operations, I hope it goes smoothly and they are soon back home. It is the right thing to do in my opinion :thumb:Sending lots of vibes xx

My rabbits are called Tethra and Tui. I adopted a family of Rexes from a rescue and renamed them Yan, Tan, Tethra and Methra. The names are old sheep-counting names meaning one, two, three, four. Sadly we now only have Tethra. I adopted Tui just over a year ago to live with Tethra. Tui was only 3 months old then and is named after her lovely gentle Mum Tui, who was also in rescue at that time.

Sending loads and loads of vibes for your two rabbits' operations today. I hope they go well and that they are soon home recovering with you.

Thank you so much! Sitting here and waiting drives me nuts ... I don't get any work done. Made their room nice and could hardly stop myself crying, because they are not hopping around. What do those little creatures do to take us over so completely?
Your rabbits' names are beautiful! And Rexes I find gorgeous.

Happiest person in the world here! Vet just phoned. Blood tests were excellent, surgery went well, both my friends are waking up. In an hour's time I can phone again and they tell me when I can pick them up. Can't wait to have them back home. And so look forward to a long healthy life with them.

Now I have them both home and I'm supposed to get them both to eat something tonight. But there is no chance. They are just sitting there, not moving at all, not reacting to anything. It is really terrifying. Just called the vet and asked for a call back. I am so worried. Has any of you experienced anything like that?

They often take a while to come around after an op and anaesthetic. Have they had any pain relief at the vets? Sometimes they will only eat certain things, not their usual favourites for example. Will they eat their pellets? A bit of grated carrot, Dandelion leaves or freshly picked grass, Readigrass often goes down better than hay at first.

When the vet phones, ask what type of pain relief they have been given. It could make them drowsy. Ask if they ate and drank anything at the vets before you picked them up.

As Zoobec said, they very often won't eat their normal food. Freshly cut grass is normally a favourite or perhaps some strong-smelling herbs like Parsley, Coriander, Thyme, Mint, Oregano. Crush the leaves so that they can smell the herbs.

Thank you both! I have put a choice of all foods they eat into their hutches: hay, pellets, a selection of herbs, grass and vegetables and a few treats (peace of apple, blackberry, carrot slice). They do touch nothing. Dandelion, mint and basil is normally they favourite but even that is not tempting them. My vet just phoned and said I should give it another half an hour, just allowing them to recover. It is just so scary to see them like this.

Back