Thread: how do you people deal with rabbit arthritis?

Default how do you people deal with rabbit arthritis?

I have some mixed results on cartrophen, in which the vet has been using for 15 years. The instruction is 6 times every 5 days for 0.07 cc. The other day was the 6th injection, and this is the results:

1st injection: no change

2nd injection: she's more perky for 3 days. She hops down to the veggie garden bed, it's a relatively 1.5 stairwell height step. By the 4th and 5th day, it's back to square 1

3rd injection: a few hr. after the injection, she manage to hop downstair by herself. However, after that day, her arthritis condition is unchanged, and diet is still below average, and the poos is still small

4th injection: very small to some improvement on her diet

5th and 6th injection: 6 hr. after each injection, there is an noticeably large increase in her bunny poos. Further, 12 hr. prior to each injection, strangely there is a large increase in her bunny poos as well. In some days, there are still small poos in black color instead of the regular goldish green color.

The bigger problem is, in the past 10 to 15 days, her arthritis got worse, about 90% of the time, my bun is lying down on the floor, hard to get up.

So just now, I use a bit of metacam.

Is there any alternative medicine for arthritis? as it seems the injection does fix her diet, but not her arthritis.

Having said that, someone else told me "the drug has to reach a plasma concentration before it should show any effect. so the first month are loading doses, after the first month this effect is maintained by a monthly injection"

so by June 28, it will be exactly 1 mth.
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi

I’ve not had to deal with rabbit arthritis yet, so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for your bunny

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Sorry no one else has replied, bumping up in case anyone with experience can offer advice

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

When one of my rabbits had Arthritis we treated it only with Metacam. However, my vet also offers acupuncture or physiotherapy, which might be an option for your rabbit.

Ooh I've never heard of cartrophen injections being used in rabbits before! Many dogs have this at work and my own dog will be starting a course soon. I also have just managed it with metacam

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mousey is on a low dose of metacam twice daily, she likes soft floor coverings, back strokes / massages

I also feed Oxbow Joint Support tablets that contain glucosamine & some other treat that contains omega 3

I just had a rabbit PTS because her arthritis/joint pain accelerated suddenly. Before that, it was managed with Metacam only. I made sure she didn't get too cold, made everything accessible/soft floor etc.
    Owned by Neville, a nearly 8 year old lilac otter nethie
    Sleep tight Susie, teeny sable marten nethie (2014) and Florence, even teenier Himalayan nethie (2019) xxx

I just got the blood test back, it shows some problems w/ kidney + liver, so metacam is out of the question

I'll post a new thread on the blood work
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi