• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how do you people deal with rabbit arthritis?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I have some mixed results on cartrophen, in which the vet has been using for 15 years. The instruction is 6 times every 5 days for 0.07 cc. The other day was the 6th injection, and this is the results:

1st injection: no change

2nd injection: she's more perky for 3 days. She hops down to the veggie garden bed, it's a relatively 1.5 stairwell height step. By the 4th and 5th day, it's back to square 1

3rd injection: a few hr. after the injection, she manage to hop downstair by herself. However, after that day, her arthritis condition is unchanged, and diet is still below average, and the poos is still small

4th injection: very small to some improvement on her diet

5th and 6th injection: 6 hr. after each injection, there is an noticeably large increase in her bunny poos. Further, 12 hr. prior to each injection, strangely there is a large increase in her bunny poos as well. In some days, there are still small poos in black color instead of the regular goldish green color.

The bigger problem is, in the past 10 to 15 days, her arthritis got worse, about 90% of the time, my bun is lying down on the floor, hard to get up.

So just now, I use a bit of metacam.

Is there any alternative medicine for arthritis? as it seems the injection does fix her diet, but not her arthritis.

Having said that, someone else told me "the drug has to reach a plasma concentration before it should show any effect. so the first month are loading doses, after the first month this effect is maintained by a monthly injection"

so by June 28, it will be exactly 1 mth.

I’ve not had to deal with rabbit arthritis yet, so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for your bunny :wave:

Sorry no one else has replied, bumping up in case anyone with experience can offer advice :wave:

When one of my rabbits had Arthritis we treated it only with Metacam. However, my vet also offers acupuncture or physiotherapy, which might be an option for your rabbit.

Ooh I've never heard of cartrophen injections being used in rabbits before! Many dogs have this at work and my own dog will be starting a course soon. I also have just managed it with metacam

Mousey is on a low dose of metacam twice daily, she likes soft floor coverings, back strokes / massages

I also feed Oxbow Joint Support tablets that contain glucosamine & some other treat that contains omega 3

I just had a rabbit PTS because her arthritis/joint pain accelerated suddenly. Before that, it was managed with Metacam only. I made sure she didn't get too cold, made everything accessible/soft floor etc.

I just got the blood test back, it shows some problems w/ kidney + liver, so metacam is out of the question

I'll post a new thread on the blood work

Back