Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worms in poo? Graphic photo alert!

Default Worms in poo? Graphic photo alert!

So, just cleaned out Pickle and Beans litter trays and discovered what I think are worms in Beans poo. Not seen any sign of them before now.

Obviously, Iíll call the vets tomorrow, but had a few questions for RU wisdom to answer.

Having had rabbits for 20 years this is the first time Iíve seen worms. How do they get them?

Iím assuming that as Pickle and Beans switch sides every day and use each otherís litter trays that Pickle will need treating too. I havenít seen any worms in his poo - trust me I had a good look today!

Iíve never seen any worms in Willow and Herbís poo (theyíre my outside buns), but given that I walk in and out of their run and the house in the same shoes would they need treating to?

Finally, do you think I need to take Pickle with me to the vets too to get checked over, or do you think that the vet would just prescribe the medication without seeing him (and do you think theyíd just prescribe for Willow and Herb if they need it?). I can easily take Pickle along too, however as theyíre in seperate carriers I donít want to look like an idiot taking him along too if the vet wonít want to see him!

Thanks RU!
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Oh and other question, can they pass them on to humans?! Paranoid now and remembering the disgusting “raspberry” flavoured Pripsen(?) that we used to get dosed with as children!
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

About 10 years ago I had an indoor bunny who had what looked like these same creatures in his poo following medication use. Most of them were already dead so I suspect the Metronidazole he was taking for another issue caused the worms to appear outside his body. The vets looked at the sample and said my bunny had rabbit pinworms. My bunny was put on Panacur. My bunny still looked healthy with a shiny coat, and during Panacur treatment I saw very few more; so he likely did not have a major infestation. I did not need any treatment myself, yet it did not stop me from being very careful handling my bunny and cleaning his pen/litterbox until it was resolved. Your other bunny may need to be treated even if they did not share items because they could have been exposed to these worms from the same source. I am sure others on RU will be able to give you some better advice.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 24-06-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glingle View Post
    So, just cleaned out Pickle and Beans litter trays and discovered what I think are worms in Beans poo. Not seen any sign of them before now.

Obviously, Iíll call the vets tomorrow, but had a few questions for RU wisdom to answer.

Having had rabbits for 20 years this is the first time Iíve seen worms. How do they get them?

Iím assuming that as Pickle and Beans switch sides every day and use each otherís litter trays that Pickle will need treating too. I havenít seen any worms in his poo - trust me I had a good look today!

Iíve never seen any worms in Willow and Herbís poo (theyíre my outside buns), but given that I walk in and out of their run and the house in the same shoes would they need treating to?

Finally, do you think I need to take Pickle with me to the vets too to get checked over, or do you think that the vet would just prescribe the medication without seeing him (and do you think theyíd just prescribe for Willow and Herb if they need it?). I can easily take Pickle along too, however as theyíre in seperate carriers I donít want to look like an idiot taking him along too if the vet wonít want to see him!

Thanks RU!
    dear glingle,-yes these are poop worms,- http://www.medirabbit.com http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html call your local exotic dvm,asap.-for proper worm med-from drug store--,but donot panic,not transferable--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Glad to know that they’re not transferable to me! Thank you both for your advice and knowledge x

Only just seen this thread, they are pinworms , treatment is usually Fenbendazole (Panacur)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...lagomorphs.htm

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Wise Old Thumper

Only 9 days of Panacur! They are apparently not harmful!

Do you think Willow and Herb will need treating too?

Quote Originally Posted by Glingle View Post
    Do you think Willow and Herb will need treating too?
    If they have direct contact to the same environment then personally I would treat all of them. But maybe you could check that with your Vet ?

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

They don’t spend time in the same areas, it’s just me transferring stuff on the soles of my shoes that I’m worried about. I’ve got an appointment later this afternoon so will ask the vets advice. Just internally groaning at the thought of having to medicate 4 bunnies at a time. Beans and Herb are unknown on the taking meds front, but Willow Chops and Pickle are wrigglers!