• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms in poo? Graphic photo alert!

Glingle

Warren Veteran
So, just cleaned out Pickle and Beans litter trays and discovered what I think are worms in Beans poo. Not seen any sign of them before now.

NoCvmlWl.jpg

Obviously, I’ll call the vets tomorrow, but had a few questions for RU wisdom to answer.

Having had rabbits for 20 years this is the first time I’ve seen worms. How do they get them?

I’m assuming that as Pickle and Beans switch sides every day and use each other’s litter trays that Pickle will need treating too. I haven’t seen any worms in his poo - trust me I had a good look today!

I’ve never seen any worms in Willow and Herb’s poo (they’re my outside buns), but given that I walk in and out of their run and the house in the same shoes would they need treating to?

Finally, do you think I need to take Pickle with me to the vets too to get checked over, or do you think that the vet would just prescribe the medication without seeing him (and do you think they’d just prescribe for Willow and Herb if they need it?). I can easily take Pickle along too, however as they’re in seperate carriers I don’t want to look like an idiot taking him along too if the vet won’t want to see him!

Thanks RU!

Oh and other question, can they pass them on to humans?! Paranoid now and remembering the disgusting “raspberry” flavoured Pripsen(?) that we used to get dosed with as children!

About 10 years ago I had an indoor bunny who had what looked like these same creatures in his poo following medication use. Most of them were already dead so I suspect the Metronidazole he was taking for another issue caused the worms to appear outside his body. The vets looked at the sample and said my bunny had rabbit pinworms. My bunny was put on Panacur. My bunny still looked healthy with a shiny coat, and during Panacur treatment I saw very few more; so he likely did not have a major infestation. I did not need any treatment myself, yet it did not stop me from being very careful handling my bunny and cleaning his pen/litterbox until it was resolved. Your other bunny may need to be treated even if they did not share items because they could have been exposed to these worms from the same source. I am sure others on RU will be able to give you some better advice.

Last edited:
So, just cleaned out Pickle and Beans litter trays and discovered what I think are worms in Beans poo. Not seen any sign of them before now.

NoCvmlWl.jpg

Obviously, I’ll call the vets tomorrow, but had a few questions for RU wisdom to answer.

Having had rabbits for 20 years this is the first time I’ve seen worms. How do they get them?

I’m assuming that as Pickle and Beans switch sides every day and use each other’s litter trays that Pickle will need treating too. I haven’t seen any worms in his poo - trust me I had a good look today!

I’ve never seen any worms in Willow and Herb’s poo (they’re my outside buns), but given that I walk in and out of their run and the house in the same shoes would they need treating to?

Finally, do you think I need to take Pickle with me to the vets too to get checked over, or do you think that the vet would just prescribe the medication without seeing him (and do you think they’d just prescribe for Willow and Herb if they need it?). I can easily take Pickle along too, however as they’re in seperate carriers I don’t want to look like an idiot taking him along too if the vet won’t want to see him!

Thanks RU!
dear glingle,-yes these are poop worms,- http://www.medirabbit.com http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html call your local exotic dvm,asap.-for proper worm med-from drug store--,but donot panic,not transferable--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

They don’t spend time in the same areas, it’s just me transferring stuff on the soles of my shoes that I’m worried about. I’ve got an appointment later this afternoon so will ask the vets advice. Just internally groaning at the thought of having to medicate 4 bunnies at a time. Beans and Herb are unknown on the taking meds front, but Willow Chops and Pickle are wrigglers!

They don’t spend time in the same areas, it’s just me transferring stuff on the soles of my shoes that I’m worried about. I’ve got an appointment later this afternoon so will ask the vets advice. Just internally groaning at the thought of having to medicate 4 bunnies at a time. Beans and Herb are unknown on the taking meds front, but Willow Chops and Pickle are wrigglers!
Oh dear [emoji38] my mum had to panacur Atticus for me once, we had the rabbit paste one, she put the daily amount of paste between two spinach leaves and he ate it all, just an idea :D

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

You’ve just reminded me that Willow would eat a fenugreek crunchie with Panacur paste on when she had a course when we lost Parsley. She might fall for that again and Herb has usually wolfed his crunchie down and tries to finish of hers, so he might not notice it. Definitely worth a try!

Personally I would panacur all the bunnies in the immediate enviroment, I probably wouldn't worry about a seperate group unless somebun was showing symptoms. Depending on the size and weight of your rabbits and how many you are treating etc it might be more cost effective for you to by the panacur 10% liquid - dosage 0.2ml/kg daily. Its worth noting though that although its exactly the same drug this version is not licienced in rabbits and some people find it for difficult to administer.

So, yep they have pinworms and the treatment is 9 days of panacur. Go RU! I’ve got 2 tubes which is enough to treat up to 4 buns weighing 2.5kg each. She thought that it was unlikely that Willow and Herb would be affected but that giving them a course would do no harm. Graccie thank yiu for the reminder, Squirting the paste onto fenugreek crunchies to give to Willow and Herb tonight worked well. The biggest problem was stopping Herb from finishing off Willow’s crunchie! I managed to get Pickle and Beans to take it from the syringe, but who knows how long that will last for. They’ve finally got smart to the wandering into the carrier to check it out trick...)

Sending them worm-free vibes and I hope it's not too difficult to get them to take the medication.

Yay! All buns are currently happy to eat a fenugreek crunchie with the panacur on it. Stress free medicating - well apart from still making sure that Herb doesn’t wolf down half of Williow’s too!

Back