• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing a bunns food

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
My new bun comes freoma garden centre that kept them in a mixed pen and the bunns eat the Guinea pig food. So I have some for her to eat as thats what she is use to long with a big big pile of hay but how do I got about getting her over to normal bunny food.

Mix it together and change the ration of GP to bunn food?

Hi,
you have to wean her on to it over a 10 day period, adding 10% more each day until she is on a complete diet of rabbit mix. If you have only just got her home, then leave her on the GP food for about 10 days, as the stress of moving is high without a change of diet aswell.

congrats on your new arrival :D

Shes tucking into the hay at the moment so I am hoping she may fill up on that and not eat so much gp food.

Is it ok go to straight in with veggies?

Hi, I’ve never found changing rabbit food a major problem at all. I don't know if its because all my rabbits was/are hardy but changing their food has never made any problems. I think changing your rabbit to rabbit’s food will be better for the bun rather then gp food so Id say go for it. As long as they are getting food then (in my experience) what/when and how they eat has never been a problem. Toby has always had a "very" varied diet -- he eats a lot of things most rabbit owners would never feed their rabbits, and it has proven very good. Id say maybe give the little guy a "small" amount of rabbit food....mixing it may make more problems.

hi,
the GP food would be ok for her its just that Gp's need more vitamins than rabbits that why she is on GP food, but i do what Checkley stud does but i only leave them on there own food for about 4 day then start the change over but is does depend on the rabbit if she is nervous i would leave her longer.
but as for veggies if the rabbits has no experience of fruit or veg i would start it off very gradually cause it will give ur bun an upset tummy. The way i think of it is when we go abroad we have to watch what we eat cause if out stomachs rn't used to the food we upset them thats y we also drink bottled water as there water would upset out tummies.
cause when i go to shows and some they go on for 2 days and will take part and diff part of the country and the water will be slighly differnt so i take my own water for the buns as it can upsat there tummies
becky

My bunnies have never had any problems changing their diet, they were on a musli mix at the pet shop then I changed them to excel pellets then to science selective but the changes didn't seem to bother them at all!

Does anyone think age has anything to do with it?

This one is meant to be about 10 weeks but probably more like 6 - 7, is it more risky changing it at that age??

WonderBunn said:
Does anyone think age has anything to do with it?

This one is meant to be about 10 weeks but probably more like 6 - 7, is it more risky changing it at that age??

it is more risky at a younger age as it will stress them out even more but i once left my bro to feed my buns when i was away and gave 2 of my babies the wrong food and they got bloat and died (not blaming him) they were abuot 8-10 weeks old

Back