• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass/hay species

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
My project this Summer has been to learn the different grass species and to identify the ones we have growing in the garden. Gosh, it's not easy :shock: However, I can now easily appreciate that grass is not just grass :lol:

I think I've mentioned previously that we have a hay patch in the garden, which we cut and use mostly for chickens flooring, but also the rabbits get some now and again for a change from Timothy.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been carefully trying to identify the various grass species which are growing in the hay patch. I think there are at least 12, which came as a surprise to me. They are maturing at different rates and so some has already set seed and some is about a couple of weeks behind.

I tried several of the varieties as a test on Tui and Tethra. I was interested as I had been pulling up one variety for them recently, which they both completely rejected :shock: Out of the several different ones they had yesterday afternoon, none were rejected, but False Oat Grass and Perennial Rye were definite favourites.

I am reporting this as evidence that grass/hay taste is important for rabbits, as several of us have already noted :)

Weirdly (or stupidly) its only this year I've picked loads rather than just a little grass when i'm out foraging. I've noticed there are definitely a good few types, some much easier to pull up than others . Its nice being able to get a few different seeded ones . I've been away 22 hours & a thin dark green grass was left but all the rest devoured. I think I might try & make hay too

I should imagine this is a very interesting study. The rabbits certainly have likes and dislikes but can't always get what they prefer. My hay man has run out of the bales, which was getting a bit yukky so he has opened up a large bale and bagged it up for me with glorious smelling hay. The downside is it costs more, from £5 to £8 for the equivalent of a bale.

I collect a lot of fresh grass on my foraging expeditions and I never fail to be amazed by all the different varieties. Bright green, dark green, blue-green, different textures, thicknesses, some blades really abrasive, others smooth, etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your study, it would be good if I can put a name to some of the grass I've been collecting [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back