• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Otoscope

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have one in their first aid kit and if so recommendations please?

Obviously I would always take a rabbit for a through vet check if I was in any way concerned but my vet has shown me what to look for in specific buns and I thought it might be nice if I could check them regularly at home.

Obviously I would always take a rabbit for a through vet check if I was in any way concerned but my vet has shown me what to look for in specific buns and I thought it might be nice if I could check them regularly at home.

Yes, I have two

https://www.medisave.co.uk/welch-allyn-pocket-led-otoscope-blackberry.html

https://www.medisave.co.uk/heine-veterinary-diagnostic-set-oto-ophthalmoscope-set-closed-2-5v.html

The second one was a gift, no way could I afford it myself xx

I bought one years ago from Ebay, I think it was about £20. Several different colours, and a pack of 'cones'. It's good enough for my buns

I also have two... But that's because I lost the first one :oops: Ultimately found it again :lol:
I got mine on ebay, I think the brand is called Ynr - comes in lots of colours so probably easy to find. I find it does a decent enough job, though I've never had experience with another one!
I've spotted spurs using it in the past which has alerted me to a situation before it got any worse so personally I find it useful :D I don't check all the buns though - just the cooperative ones :lol:
The others I ever so kindly save for the vet :lol:

dear amy104,---[otoscope]-only one of many recommended medical-necessities,,-stethoscope,any thing you see the dvm using is a good idea,generally purchased at a pharmaceutical/or/online..--we are first line responders for any medical emergency-and with a rabbit time is everything..from the exotic dvm,s I learned as much as possible,knowledge is bliss,do-not let it come with a cost,sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Back