• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip not eating

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So went out to feed the ladies tonight and Pip was nowhere to be seen.

Normally she would be running around in circles fighting Lola to be the first in the nugget bowl.

Found her hunched up in the bedroom, she's been stretching out, hiding in the corner, avoiding all forms of food etc.

She is fully vaccinated, although due her nobivac in a couple of weeks and filvac in August. She was fine earlier.

Now we are off for a two hour wait at the emergency vets.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks.

It's come completely out of the blue, she was absolutely fine earlier.

She has been moulting slot over the last couple of weeks, we try and get it but it's been non stop.

I guess it could be a fur ball type thing,

Wouldn't you know that 5 minutes before we go to see the vet pip eats some hay and does a couple of poo.

Then bites the vet and draws blood. Pip is supposed to be the chilled out one.

The vet has taken her so she can examine her with the help of a nurse.

I think it was a bad bite

Hope Pip is feeling better and the vet was able to determine what the cause might be.
Naughty Pip for biting the vet.
Sending vibes for Pip. xx

So the emergency vets gave her meds and some fluid injections that sit under the skin to help her hydrate.

I took her home, and this morning she was hungry for nuggets and back to her old self.

My wife is at our regular vets with her now, luckily the father in law is around so he is in the waiting room with the little one.

I'm at work so don't know what the vet has said yet.

Not sure what bought this on, we haven't changed their food or anything like that, they did get cleaned out yesterday but there were no new cleaning solutions or anything like that.

I'm not sure.

They didn't last night, but she gave the vet a bad bite that bled a lot, and was still bleeding 20 minutes later.

My wife said the vet gave her some injections, but didn't say if they checked her teeth.

Had a chat with the wife.

The vet checked Pips front teeth but couldn't check the back ones. (She really struggles so would probably need to be sedated)

Listened to her gut and all that, said the she could feel a little gas and some hard poos.

She gave her some injections and instructions to monitor eating and pooing, looking out for soft poos.

The wife said pip has been out in the run munching hay, and I fed her some tasty grass which she gobbled up and they both got half a treat each.

I'm not sure.

They didn't last night, but she gave the vet a bad bite that bled a lot, and was still bleeding 20 minutes later.

My wife said the vet gave her some injections, but didn't say if they checked her teeth.

dear Zarathustra,--a facial radiograph is required to identify teeth/mouth problems,once viewed,a discussion can begin as how to approach a problem,..then comes the anesthesia --whereas the teeth are properly inspected,and cared for..this is the only way to properly treat a rabbit--,anything else is guesswork..--and painful--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Back