• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice please

hartleyhare

Warren Scout
I have been trying to bond a foursome. Initially I put them in the utility room but as the back door is in there it proved to be too inconvenient not being able to use the back door. So after one day I put them in the computer room - also neutral territory, not used by any of the buns before. This is when the bullying started. Dolores is picking on Amber, chasing her and biting her bum hard enough to pull fur and graze her skin. Dolores is a French Lop cross and Amber is a small wild bun. Sebastian is also a wildie but he and Dolores are fine together. Hugo, who is Dolores's husbun gets along with Amber and Sebastian. Amber just wants to be part of the bunny club, she's no threat to Dolores's alpha female status. It's so sad to see her hiding in the corner or sitting alone looking at the others all cuddled up. She gets lots of cuddles from me and has now started to look for me to give her cuddles. She has a head tilt and moves slightly different to a normal rabbit but she can do everything a non tilted bun can. I'm not sure if it's this Dolores objects to or another female or both.

I'm inclined to say this is not going to work. Is there any chance do you think or should I separate them all ? It's been a week and the bullying is not declining. Sometimes Dolores will ' allow ' Amber to sit close by but not all the time and not for very long. Advice would be appreciated.

Yes, they are two pairs. They have made the most horrendous mess they have made, pee, poo absolutely everywhere. Rugs soaked and had to be binned and whole room will need redecorating. This morning Dolores was beginning to make me very nervous. She is three times the size of Amber ( who is quite small for a wildie ) and very powerful. I decided to separate them for safety reasons. Amber seems much happier now she's not being hounded but Sebastian doesn't seem too pleased as he likes Dolores and Hugo.! I put them out in the runs today which are divided by a metal fence so they can see but not touch each other. Dolores came to the fence and Sebastian began chasing Amber around. Aaaggghhhh. He's never done that before. It calmed down after awhile.

Back