• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie's bonding failed ☹

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
Charlie (6 year old neutered male, adopted from rspca 7ish weeks ago) spent the last 4 days at a rescue centre in an attempt to bond him to a similar aged female.

Despite it initially going well the female was too feisty and ultimately the bonding failed.

I'm so sad for my little man ☹ I don't know what to do now, I could try other rescues and do the bonding myself, but if it doesn't work out id have to give it back, and it could end up costing a fortune paying £50 adoption fee each time. Or I could wait and hope a suitable match turns up in the rescue

Apparently he was very patient but lacked bunny manners and doesn't groom, I don't know if maybe I should try a older male or even a trio? Or just hold out for a chilled out female 😖

Sorry to hear your bun's bonding failed. I'm having problems with my attempts too. Sorry not much help but just wanted to say I know how frustrating it can be. Could you take Charlie to different rescues yourself to meet any other prospective new friends they may have. That way he can meet several buns and choose for himself maybe.

I’m sorry that the bonding didn’t work out :cry: I agree with Hartleyhare, maybe another rescue would allow you to try your bunny with several bunnies in the event that the bond doesn’t work with the first one. Some rescues will help with bonding too :thumb:

I had a pair of girls years ago who wouldn’t groom each other but they bonded fine with my other pair of boys. So I think the fact that he doesn’t groom shouldn’t be a dealbreaker to bonding, and he might groom a different rabbit anyway. Personally I would try again with a different girl, a good rescue will be able to match personality’s of rabbits well.

If you post where you are maybe someone could recommend a local rescue. If not, you can look for a local one here http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

I am keeping my eye out, the main issue I have is my only criteria for a friend for him is someone of a similar age, so ideally 5+.

The girl we tried this week was from Rabbit rescue North West and they did the bonding for me. I've been in contact with fatfluffs but I think it's going to be abit far for me to keep getting there fitting it around work.

I'm currently looking at a 7-8 year old boy from Derby RSPCA, waiting to here back from them to discuss. My worry is that because most older girls won't of been spayed until late then they might be abit to feisty in general.

My logical at the moment is maybe this little guy is that old (a d had arthritis and a few other issues) that maybe he would just like a quiet life with Charlie.

Back