• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loss of bunny, surviving mate

Leesa

Warren Scout
We sadly lost our Coco bunny yesterday, needless to say we are devastated. The vets were confused about what was causing her urinary incontinence and she went into gut statis. She stopped eating Sunday and went to the vets first thing Monday and stayed til Tuesday evening when she came home as she had improved and started eating vegetables again. Sadly by Wednesday morning she had gone down hill again and although they tried to save her she went into hypothermia and died at the vets.

I did ask the vet about bringing home the body for Fudge bunny to understand that she had passed, but he said as they had been separated for a short period already he should be ok, I was so upset I didn't really think. I hadn't really done any research her death came as a bit of a shock so we took her home yesterday to bury her in my parents garden. Fudge had been separated from her back in February when the meds she was trialling caused her to become aggressive and I had to separate them, she stayed overnight in the vets then too for statis, but I managed to rebond them after the meds were out of her system.

Up until today Fudge bunny has been fine, but today he looks a little lost. I'm not sure if it's just we are sad, but he just looks a bit lonely when he's sitting still. Thankfully I'm at home as I've been trying to set up a business, so I can spend plenty of time with him, but he's not a snuggly bunny so I'm not sure how to comfort him. I've sat there and let him lick me, he likes doing that and the odd stroke but he just liked being groomed by Coco.

I read about getting a teddy, but he's a nightmare for eating anything and everything, so today I have put a penguin puppet I had already, in for now but he's not that bothered and I'm a bit scared to leave it overnight in case he eats it. Do you have any tips for trying to make him happy? I worry that he's waiting for her to come home. He did see her pretty ill and lethargic on Tuesday and Wednesday but he didn't really seem to understand and was more interested in trying to eat her vegetables. We had to separate them as she came back from the vets with critical care dried around her mouth and he was trying to bite it. Even after I cleaned it up, he was still too interested in sniffing her after her syringe feeds and so I only let him see her whilst I supervised he wasn't in her face as scared in case he tried to bite her again. I separated them to sleep.

We weren't going to get another rabbit as we wanted to go travelling after they both had passed (we'd even looked at a tiny home on wheels to see if we could all go together if my business worked out, although sadly that's not really an option moneywise if it would even work). He's 5 and a half years old, so could still have a good amount of life left in him. But I don't know that it's fair to leave him as a single bunny. I just don't know what to do, I am so sad and worry that I wouldn't love a new bunny as much and would be gutted if he died first. I know that sounds really selfish, but I'm also scared of him not bonding with another bunny.

I understand your reasons for looking at being bunny free in the future.
I would talk to rescue about bonding your bun with an older bun or you could look at "fostering" a new bun, which will be returned to the rescue when your bun dies

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Im so sorry you lost your bunny :cry:

As Motty has said, some rescues do allow you to bond a bunny with yours on the understanding that the bunny will go back to the rescue if it is left bereft. I think especially if your bunny is not a human orientated cuddle bunny then it would be best for him to be bonded with a new friend. You could look for an older bunny or a bunny of a similar age to him if you wish, but age is not really a factor in my opinion and experience.

In the meantime I would try to rearrange his accommodation so it is different and add interest with lots of things to do. As he eats things cardboard or a soft toy might not be a good idea, but you could use willow balls and tunnels, treat balls to put his pellet ration in, apple, willow and pear sticks, forage etc.

Thanks for the responses, a foster might be a good option, but I have a feeling we would soon get attached to another bunny even if it was difficult at first. I went to Pets At Home yesterday to buy him lots more toys and also got a kids ten pin bowling set from Home & Bargains as he does like knocking things over. I also bought hay cubes which seem to be his favourite so far. Sadly they were out of his favourite chew sticks so I will have to order them in and bought a bag of the Apple/blackcurrant leaves which have some of the sticks in. Unfortunately he wasn’t keen on the thicker sticks I bought 😕.

Whilst he isn’t snuggly in terms of strokes for much longer than a minute, he does enjoy human attention and will happily jump on us. He seems to be fine in the evening with us ensuring he is not bored. The daytime seems to be the worst, as he has got older in the day he has seemed a little crankier and today and yesterday he has been a bit cranky - a little boisterous, wanting to dig, chew etc, so I bought him another mat (Seagrams maybe?) to put under his little house as he has made good work at chewing the bottom. Yesterday we played with throwing baby key toys. He’s pretty good at keeping himself entertained and eating his hay, I guess I just worry in the day he’s missing his snuggle bunny. This morning he hasn’t gone for his daytime nap yet which is a bit out of sorts for him, but has happily eaten.

I did view a rescue bunny in Pets At Home by I was taken by yesterday, he was very interactive with me, poor thing stuck in their tiny pens, but sadly it turned out to be a Male and I think if we got another we would definitely need a female as he can be a little jealous - whenever Coco was getting attention or good, he would be barging in there wanting attention too - the times when he actually wanted snuggles. On his own he seems more content with licking us. I have started searching for possible bunnies on websites to see if there are any options available, but we are not sure just yet what we will do.

I'm sorry you lost Coco :( I think Fudge will benefit from your company even if he isn't hugely interactive. I hope he enjoys his toys & treats xx

I'm so sorry.

We lost one of our boys a few weeks ago and now our other boy is on his own and I dont know what to do for the best. It's a tricky situation isnt it.

Just wanted to send you a hug, it's awful losing your pet.

Thank you for your condolences. Eliza, i’m so sorry, thinking of you, it’s so sad, they bring so much joy into of lives.

Fudge is doing okay in his eating/drinking/pooping still. Although his behaviour has changed a little, in the evenings he seems happy enough, he’s even doing big massive hops running around with his new tunnels - like he has a new lease of life. In the day he is a bit different though - whereas he would previously snooze all day (literally all day) he’s now staying awake a lot more. This could perhaps be contributed to his diet - because he has excess cecotrophe issues (he would sleep in them and get all messy) his diet was predominantly hay previously. I would keep adding vegetables back in and he’d go through a very messy patch again, however to ensure he was eating (and to keep him happy) I had upped his vegetables, so it might be that he has more energy. After speaking to the vets we had changed him to senior Science Selective (he was previously on the adult version) and I think that is helping.

He can get a little cranky in the daytime, which did happen on occasion anyway. He is seeking out attention and is enjoying snuggles for a little long before he tells me it’s enough. He doesn’t jump as high as he did when he was younger so when we are sitting on the couch (have been on the floor a lot when him providing company) I moved his bed between the too to jump up, which he is enjoying. (He’s never been interested in sleeping on beds).

Still debating what to do, we may take a trip to the RSPCA and see what buns they have there as nothing online and I know they used to take them in.

Back