• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building your own bunny run advice/help please!

Graciee

Staff member
Okay so I've found the wire mesh I'll add a link, I think it's suitable? https://www.meshdirect.co.uk/wire-mesh-50mm-x-50mm-12g.html

I'm guessing I'd need a staple gun.. So this maybe? https://www.meshdirect.co.uk/professional-heavy-duty-tacker-ideal-for-welded-wire-mesh.html

wire cutters - https://www.meshdirect.co.uk/diagonal-wire-cutter-200mm.-ideal-for-mesh-up-to-3mm-10g.html

Finally wood - does anyone know what I'm looking for or where I can get it from? Because I'm so lost.. I was looking at timber online but it's all been treated so it doesn't rot etc.. Which is fine... But if buns nibble it could be toxic? :( if its not treated its cool I can just paint it all I have that garden shades paint left over so that would be fine, bit of a faff but fine [emoji38] I've just no idea where to get the wood from or what I'm looking for...

If anyone knows anything about any of this I'd be most grateful for any advice or suggestions and if you don't think the mesh is right please tell me :D

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think the mesh is ok - what size are you thinking of?
Oo Idk 8 by 8 - 8 by 10 - 8 by 12 idm really has to be 8 one way to avoid the washing line for the area its gunna be in [emoji38] we aren't short on space but Idk if the bigger you go if it changed how you make it? (I've never done anything like this before so I've no clue, also has to have a lid don't want it sagging in the middle [emoji38]

That mesh will be strong as it’s 12g but I would go for smaller hole size if I were you, 1”x 1/2” maybe? I would treat the wood first before you staple the mesh to it.

That mesh will be strong as it’s 12g but I would go for smaller hole size if I were you, 1”x 1/2” maybe? I would treat the wood first before you staple the mesh to it.
Ah I'll see if they do smaller idek what that one is!

Yea issue is I can't find any wood :( I'd paint it all first before anything else it's just finding the wood

Somewhere like B & Q or Homebase ? or do you have a building supplier anywhere near, they might deliver. Failing that, is there a local joiner, who might be able to do it for you ?

https://www.meshdirect.co.uk/wire-mesh-stainless-steel-panel-25mm-x-25mm-holes-10-gauge.html

this is all i could see with smaller holes on their website :S

https://www.meshdirect.co.uk/woven-stainless-wire-cloth-12-mesh-1.56-mm-aperture.html - is this suitable?

Seems to be the smaller the holes the weaker the mesh? Stronger mesh seems to have bigger holes idek? 5cm isn't huge though - would be nice to have it smaller though - maybe this is why none of the people making runs have anything better than 19 or 16 g mesh [emoji38][emoji38]

Last edited:
My OH built our run accommodation and he used treated wood. Rabbits will only nibble if they have an edge to get hold of, so if you attach the mesh on the inside, we've found they can't nibble. It's best to get your wood from a wood merchant and get them to deliver.

We can get the details out later today to give you some more information.

Like Omi my OH used pressure treated wood in the bunny bothy (its mainly stone). My bunnies arent really chewers so I'm not too worried & reckon its better than the alternative - having wood that rots & is susceptible to fungus & mould

OK, the wood we used is sold as 25x50 (mm) tanalised. It is usually sold in 4.8m lengths and in 2014, when we last bought some, it cost £2.35 per length from the timber merchant. We had it delivered.

OK, the wood we used is sold as 25x50 (mm) tanalised. It is usually sold in 4.8m lengths and in 2014, when we last bought some, it cost £2.35 per length from the timber merchant. We had it delivered.
This is really helpful :) thank you - do they deliver all over? [emoji38]

Does anyone have any suggestions for mesh floor? I can't find anything 9ft by 9ft :(

I would also recommend a smaller hole size. 2" is fine for dogs, but will allow eg cats to put their arms through to swipe at rabbits. 1" square is about the biggest I use. Smaller mesh will keep out rats, etc. better than bigger mesh sizes.

My preference would be for treated / tanallised wood with the mesh on the inside, so there are no real edges for the bunnies to get their teeth into and it will last much longer. It also means that predators outside the run are not able to pull the mesh straight off the wood, which makes it safer for the bunnies. It can still be painted if you want to.

Yo may find it is actually cheaper (and much quicker) to buy aviary panels and just screw them together to make a run. It is also much easier on the fingers (cutting mesh is not a nice job). A lid can be added with hinges to fasten extra panels to the main frame.

We got our wood from B&Q rough cut timber batons - our run is indoors so we didnt need treated. I also got the mesh from the same place and it is 1cm squared mesh. I havent treated the wood.

I've made runs from scratch in the past but last year I bought some aviary panels to do a quick and easy run now that I don't have any of my ex's tools at my disposal and it saved so much effort physically and mentally.
You're a little restricted in terms of size and the roof may not fit perfectly edge to edge but it really cuts down on labour.

I bought my wood from the local fence manufacturers- they bought it in for me non-treated. As far as mesh goes, 1inch is big enough for stoats to get in, believe it or not. If that's an issue in your area, smaller mesh is a good idea. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 1inch. I also put 1ft kickboards on the bottom of my aviary for added comfort and security. When you attach the mesh, make a lot of points and stagger them so that different wire lines are attached and not the same one up the column, if you see what I mean.

This is really helpful :) thank you - do they deliver all over? [emoji38]

Does anyone have any suggestions for mesh floor? I can't find anything 9ft by 9ft :(

No, it's a local timber merchant, but there's bound to be one near you.

Back