• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit owner...have a question

:D

Hi,

Today we brought little Bella the 10wk old Bunny to our family home , all new to rabbits here and have a quick question.

The pet store told me to keep it in the box for 24hrs in the outdoor hutch to get used to its environment but on everything I have looked on it doesn't mention this.

Can anyone help please??

Thanks

Jackie

Hi, you could leave the box in the hutch (not sure if it’s a cardboard box or pet carrier) but leave it open. That would provide a hiding place if she wanted

Hi, its a cardboard one with a handle quite big, did think of turning it on its side so that she has a hiding spot still, not sure if they are up to exploring on the first day?

small-animal-cardboard-carrier

Last edited:
To be honest I wouldn’t bother with the box. I’d just make sure that there was plenty of warm hay to hide in, that can be nibbled too in the sleeping area and that there is water either inside the sleeping area or just outside it so that bun doesn’t have the be brave to get a drink. I’m sure Bella will be out investigating before you know it. Welcome to the wonderful (although slightly stressful at times) world of bunny ownership and to the forum. We’d love to hear how Bella is getting on and perhaps see some photos of your beautiful girl.

I imagine that they meant to keep the box inside the hutch as somewhere to hide (on its side), but definitely don’t keep Bella shut in the box :)

bella/jackie

:D

Hi,

Today we brought little Bella the 10wk old Bunny to our family home , all new to rabbits here and have a quick question.

The pet store told me to keep it in the box for 24hrs in the outdoor hutch to get used to its environment but on everything I have looked on it doesn't mention this.

Can anyone help please??

Thanks

Jackie
dear Jackie,-you are in for a life time of education,-love,-people on this website will help direct you based on their experiences,..-bella-@10 weeks young,is at the minimum-to be weaned from the mother,--unless your pet store is exceptional people they hire donot know about rabbits..-[-donot place bella outdoors]-,keep indoors in a 2ft sq. cage[ if you have to ]-rabbits are strictly herbivores,[grass eaters],- http://www.medirabbit.com this website will give you a very good heads up for rabbits,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa:love::wave:

Back