Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SQ fluid reassurance please :(

Default SQ fluid reassurance please :(

So I rang the vets straight away. They said I probably just hit a small blood vessels under the skin, it happens sometimes and it's fine...

But does anyone know anything about this?

So I gave 10ml of fluids pulled the needle out and I saw a tiny drop of blood - wiped it, put lid on, checked her... Lots of blood :'( so I held a cotton pad on the area and it stopped within 20 seconds.. I'm just so scared I've hurt her she wasn't super happy but calmed right down as I have her a little bunny massage - it's basically full body strokes all over - she loves them - about 5 mins later she let me do 10ml more in a different spot..but has anyone had this happen to them? I just hope I've not caused her more issues :'( I feel so bad.

This is about half of what came out and her afterwards she's asleep now and she's nibbled some hay

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Graciee,

Your vet gave you good advice.
    Sometimes this happens. I have given fluids for decades and I still do this with either a bunny who wiggles or one who has skin that is harder to tent due to dehydration.
    The blood mixes with the fluids so it can look like a lot more blood that really is there.
    You did not hurt your bunny.

dear graciee,-yes as bunnymomma stated-good advice,-absolutely gorgeous rex--mine I called [velvatine]--I have never been one good with needles--[its how I made it through the 60,s]-all injection,s had to be given by the dvm,..-might I ask what medical problem-requiring sub-q fluids-does the bun have.,-??-sincerely james waller-from across the great pond-usa

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Graciee,

Sometimes this happens. I have given fluids for decades and I still do this with either a bunny who wiggles or one who has skin that is harder to tent due to dehydration.
    The blood mixes with the fluids so it can look like a lot more blood that really is there.
    Ditto, I have done the same thing before xx

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

I’ve not had to do sq fluids before so I can’t really help, but I’d agree there doesn’t look much blood there, and she looks happy enough

Pinching skin to do an injection on a goat is even harder though there’s no slack

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Graciee,

Thank you

Just wanted to check on here because the receptionist said everyone was too busy to talk to me so she checked with a nurse. So I just wanted to be sure (I worry a lot about Clementine ) and I figured people on here may know

Quote Originally Posted by jewaller View Post
    dear graciee,-yes as bunnymomma stated-good advice,-absolutely gorgeous rex--mine I called [velvatine]--I have never been one good with needles--[its how I made it through the 60,s]-all injection,s had to be given by the dvm,..-might I ask what medical problem-requiring sub-q fluids-does the bun have.,-??-sincerely james waller-from across the great pond-usa
    Thank you, Velvatine is a beautiful name for a rex

On Monday she had her bladder flushed again and she doesn't seem to drink much

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Ditto, I have done the same thing before xx
    Glad I didn't seriously mess it up then when I saw the blood I was so scared I'd seriously hurt her

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Iíve not had to do sq fluids before so I canít really help, but Iíd agree there doesnít look much blood there, and she looks happy enough

Pinching skin to do an injection on a goat is even harder though thereís no slack
    She's always happy laying on the bed that's why I do the fluids there, I think she'd secretly like her own human mattress

That's kinda the problem with her, making the tent is difficult it's like she's filled up all her skin.. My other three I tried making the tent on and it was super easy wouldn't fancy doing it on a goat though!

Just happened again :'( less blood and it stopped even quicker... You don't think I could be doing something wrong do you? :'( first 4-5 times I did it this didn't happen then first was last night it happened on one of the jabs in and same just happened, I went else where and gave remainder of this lot of fluid and there was no blood but I'm so worried I'm messing it up... Is blood normal? Like every few times? Or am I doing something wrong?

Main thing is she seems fine in herself I guess

dear graciee,- request a refresher from the dvm[tech]-for the next-sub q- jab,--I see you mention a bladder flush,-[ sludge]-calcium.. http://www.medirabbit.com and http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html here are two of my favorite websites dr.esther vanpragg is premier in the field of lagamorphs..sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa