• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

SQ fluid reassurance please :(

Graciee

Staff member
So I rang the vets straight away. They said I probably just hit a small blood vessels under the skin, it happens sometimes and it's fine...

But does anyone know anything about this?

So I gave 10ml of fluids pulled the needle out and I saw a tiny drop of blood - wiped it, put lid on, checked her... Lots of blood :'( so I held a cotton pad on the area and it stopped within 20 seconds.. I'm just so scared I've hurt her :( she wasn't super happy but calmed right down as I have her a little bunny massage - it's basically full body strokes all over - she loves them - about 5 mins later she let me do 10ml more in a different spot..but has anyone had this happen to them? I just hope I've not caused her more issues :'( I feel so bad.

This is about half of what came out and her afterwards :( she's asleep now and she's nibbled some hay
92920e7e5f10e4680642740c1cde6d89.jpg
bb67f290e66915d5bad92e9a0ce05b89.jpg
3467e850eae853c06851127046e2ce2d.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Graciee,

Your vet gave you good advice.
Sometimes this happens. I have given fluids for decades and I still do this with either a bunny who wiggles or one who has skin that is harder to tent due to dehydration.
The blood mixes with the fluids so it can look like a lot more blood that really is there.
You did not hurt your bunny.

dear graciee,-yes as bunnymomma stated-good advice,-absolutely gorgeous rex--mine I called [velvatine]--I have never been one good with needles--[its how I made it through the 60,s]-all injection,s had to be given by the dvm,..-might I ask what medical problem-requiring sub-q fluids-does the bun have.,-??-sincerely james waller-from across the great pond-usa

Graciee,

Sometimes this happens. I have given fluids for decades and I still do this with either a bunny who wiggles or one who has skin that is harder to tent due to dehydration.
The blood mixes with the fluids so it can look like a lot more blood that really is there.

Ditto, I have done the same thing before xx

I’ve not had to do sq fluids before so I can’t really help, but I’d agree there doesn’t look much blood there, and she looks happy enough :love:

Pinching skin to do an injection on a goat is even harder though :lol: there’s no slack :lol:

Graciee,

Thank you :)

Just wanted to check on here because the receptionist said everyone was too busy to talk to me so she checked with a nurse. So I just wanted to be sure (I worry a lot about Clementine [emoji38]) and I figured people on here may know :)

dear graciee,-yes as bunnymomma stated-good advice,-absolutely gorgeous rex--mine I called [velvatine]--I have never been one good with needles--[its how I made it through the 60,s]-all injection,s had to be given by the dvm,..-might I ask what medical problem-requiring sub-q fluids-does the bun have.,-??-sincerely james waller-from across the great pond-usa

Thank you, Velvatine is a beautiful name for a rex :)

On Monday she had her bladder flushed again and she doesn't seem to drink much :(

Ditto, I have done the same thing before xx

Glad I didn't seriously mess it up then [emoji38] when I saw the blood I was so scared I'd seriously hurt her :(

I’ve not had to do sq fluids before so I can’t really help, but I’d agree there doesn’t look much blood there, and she looks happy enough :love:

Pinching skin to do an injection on a goat is even harder though [emoji38] there’s no slack [emoji38]

She's always happy laying on the bed [emoji38] that's why I do the fluids there, I think she'd secretly like her own human mattress [emoji38]

That's kinda the problem with her, making the tent is difficult it's like she's filled up all her skin.. [emoji38] My other three I tried making the tent on and it was super easy [emoji38] wouldn't fancy doing it on a goat though! [emoji38][emoji38]

Just happened again :'( less blood and it stopped even quicker... You don't think I could be doing something wrong do you? :'( first 4-5 times I did it this didn't happen then first was last night it happened on one of the jabs in and same just happened, I went else where and gave remainder of this lot of fluid and there was no blood but I'm so worried I'm messing it up... Is blood normal? Like every few times? Or am I doing something wrong?

Main thing is she seems fine in herself I guess :(

I have no experience either but just wanted to say I think you are really brave and I'm sure she would of ran away rather than sitting on the bed?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have no experience either but just wanted to say I think you are really brave and I'm sure she would of ran away rather than sitting on the bed?

Yea probably [emoji38]

I managed it again a second ago with no bleeding so that's good, vets gave me a thinner needle which was nice :) and some different ones that aren't butterfly needles so gotta try them too

Also she hopped off to my boyfriends side when I was putting the syringe away after we'd finished.. And she peed on his side... [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Normally I'd have been upset... But it was such a good amount and the stream! Well I was impressed [emoji38][emoji38] although all our bedding and duvet is now in the washing machine [emoji38][emoji38] her revenge I think for me stabbing her ever 4 hours [emoji38]

Yea probably [emoji38]

I managed it again a second ago with no bleeding so that's good, vets gave me a thinner needle which was nice :) and some different ones that aren't butterfly needles so gotta try them too

Also she hopped off to my boyfriends side when I was putting the syringe away after we'd finished.. And she peed on his side... [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Normally I'd have been upset... But it was such a good amount and the stream! Well I was impressed [emoji38][emoji38] although all our bedding and duvet is now in the washing machine [emoji38][emoji38] her revenge I think for me stabbing her ever 4 hours [emoji38]

Good girl Clemmy clever bun!

............in Clementine's case best served still warm and in full flow !! [emoji38]
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I was like oh no...! Ohhhh that's a good flow! What a good girl! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I too have no experience of this but know you are an excellent bunny mum. I did laugh though at Clementine's revenge :love:
Yeaaa typical her tbh [emoji38][emoji38]

Thank you, that means a lot because rn I feel like a terrible one [emoji38]

Back