• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Snowy has a urine infection :( (update page 5)

nap91

Mama Doe
Came home from work today and the towel under and in front of their litter tray was absolutely soaked. I’m pretty sure it’s her as she left a wet patch in the bedroom the other day. Just assumed she’d got too comfortable but now with this there’s definitely something up. She’s very quiet and just wants to hide. I’m hoping it’s something easily treatable like a UTI but it’s not great either way since she doesn’t tolerate antibiotics very well. Managed to get an appointment on Friday as was the only one available. Hoping the vet can express her as I can’t get a urine sample since she shares a litter tray with Phillip now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Poor Snowy [emoji45] What on earth is going on with the girls and their bladders?!

Sending lots of vibes for the appointment on Friday and I hope the vet can get to the bottom of it. Also hope that Philip will be a good husbun and give her lots of cuddles while she's feeling poorly xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh no :( I hope it's something that can be sorted easily. Lots of loves for your Snowy xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Came home from work today and the towel under and in front of their litter tray was absolutely soaked. I’m pretty sure it’s her as she left a wet patch in the bedroom the other day. Just assumed she’d got too comfortable but now with this there’s definitely something up. She’s very quiet and just wants to hide. I’m hoping it’s something easily treatable like a UTI but it’s not great either way since she doesn’t tolerate antibiotics very well. Managed to get an appointment on Friday as was the only one available. Hoping the vet can express her as I can’t get a urine sample since she shares a litter tray with Phillip now!

Poor girlie :cry: I am wondering if you could be a bit insistent that she's seen before Friday ? I say this as you mention she is 'hiding away' and not behaving like her usual self. If left til Friday she may also develop reduced gut motility secondary to feeling poorly due to a bladder problem. Personally I'd call the Surgery again this morning and ask for her to be seen as an Emergency today. The Vets should know that Rabbits can go downhill quickly and only show behavioural changes when they really are feeling quite poorly. Being prey animals they are very good at hiding illnesses.

Good luck and sending lots of vibes xx

The Vets should know that Rabbits can go downhill quickly and only show behavioural changes when they really are feeling quite poorly

Yes I spoke to a receptionist who is new and I took the appointment as it was better than nothing.
Just spoke to a normal receptionist and managed to get one for 5pm tonight which is good as she peed twice overnight outside of the litter tray. She’s still got a full appetite and seems to be back to her normal self so I’m hoping it’s just something simple to treat!

Yes I spoke to a receptionist who is new and I took the appointment as it was better than nothing.
Just spoke to a normal receptionist and managed to get one for 5pm tonight which is good as she peed twice overnight outside of the litter tray. She’s still got a full appetite and seems to be back to her normal self so I’m hoping it’s just something simple to treat!

That's good, I hope all will go well for her xx

Vet couldn't get a urine sample as predicted :lol: she said her bladder feels ok and Snowy was comfortable when she touched her so that's good.
Since she's had frequent cystitis in the past (thankfully not for a year, since we got her calcium under control!), the vet said it does sound like that so she's put her straight on antibiotics alongside the normal gut medicine to try and avoid stasis.

Fingers crossed it'll just be that and she'll start improving soon. Otherwise I've got the impossible task of trying to get a sample at home :shock:

Vet couldn't get a urine sample as predicted :lol: she said her bladder feels ok and Snowy was comfortable when she touched her so that's good.
Since she's had frequent cystitis in the past (thankfully not for a year, since we got her calcium under control!), the vet said it does sound like that so she's put her straight on antibiotics alongside the normal gut medicine to try and avoid stasis.

Fingers crossed it'll just be that and she'll start improving soon. Otherwise I've got the impossible task of trying to get a sample at home :shock:

Hope the meds help and she will soon be 100% back to normal xx

dear nap91,-[probiotics]- must accompany antibiotcs-because with herbivoures the flora with be destroyed..and the immune system will fail.--.probiotics can be purchased from pet store,farm supply store,online,etc.--keep a close eye on the appetite, poops,etc.-offer lots of grasses and water-- http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

Good outcome for Snowy on the whole, hope the anti biotics get her fully back o track. sound like you caught it early

Back