• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Snowy has a urine infection :( (update page 5)

Vet couldn't get a urine sample as predicted [emoji38] she said her bladder feels ok and Snowy was comfortable when she touched her so that's good.
Since she's had frequent cystitis in the past (thankfully not for a year, since we got her calcium under control!), the vet said it does sound like that so she's put her straight on antibiotics alongside the normal gut medicine to try and avoid stasis.

Fingers crossed it'll just be that and she'll start improving soon. Otherwise I've got the impossible task of trying to get a sample at home :shock:
I hope the antibiotics clear everything up for your precious Snowy and she will be back to normal soon. It sounds like you caught it very early xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Day 5 of antibiotics and she seems well within herself but is still peeing on the towel next to the litter tray. She’s never had this as a symptom in previous UTIs so don’t know if there should be improvement by this point or if it’s something else that’s causing it :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 5 of antibiotics and she seems well within herself but is still peeing on the towel next to the litter tray. She’s never had this as a symptom in previous UTIs so don’t know if there should be improvement by this point or if it’s something else that’s causing it :(

Could she be having some mobility issues making it uncomfortable to hop into her litter tray- eg arthritic pain ? Can you use a drop sided litter tray so she does noy have to make much effort to hop into it ?

Could she be having some mobility issues making it uncomfortable to hop into her litter tray- eg arthritic pain ? Can you use a drop sided litter tray so she does noy have to make much effort to hop into it ?

It is a drop sided one and she sits in it quite happily to poop :roll:

Topping up the vibes for the beautiful snowy. Could you put the towel in the litter tray so she follows the scent into the tray?

So I bought a UV light to check for accidents as it’s hard to tell if I’m at work all day. So far so good today!!! *crosses fingers*

snowys poop box

dear nap91,-mobility can be an issue at any age,--the poop box becomes an issue,if a rabbit cannot climb into the poop box,they will go where they have to..-it might be time to place a sheet of card board,on the floor and cover with old clothing and change accordingly..this was a method I used for years as my bunz got older,--I realize working people donot have excessive time,but it is the welfare of the rabbit...indoor rabbits are usually easier to diagnose health problems..sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa:love::wave:

Feeling frustrated. Snowy had 7 days worth of Baytril and had really improved. She was back to her normal self and starting peeing in the litter tray again. Came downstairs this morning and after a week of normal litter tray habits, she has started peeing outside of the litter tray again.

I am wondering if the antibiotics haven’t completely cleared the infection and perhaps she needs a longer course?
Back to the vets :(

Sending lots of vibes. I think urine infections from what I’ve read on here, often need a longer course of antibiotics to clear them up.

Vets today :( I’m so worried about her. Really hope it’s not a bladder stone :cry:

Sending lots of vibes for the vet appointment today. Poor Snowy, it's awful when they have a persistent, stubborn infection and they can't seem to get rid of it [emoji17]

Do you know if they're going to run further diagnostics?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Just waiting to see the vet. Will see what they say re further testing.
Here we have a very grumpy rabbit who has been woken from her nap to go to the vets!

b437b6a3ecadccfecacaef62a48df4be.jpg

Back