• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Lillian please - U/D 9th July

Oh I'm so happy to hear she's doing better! :love: Definitely sounds like the corner has been turned. Marvelous! :D

Yeah I get really teed off when vets think, "Ah this pet's a :censored: Marine, it doesn't need more pain relief." Excuse me? After surgery? (For that matter, Fiver ALWAYS needed extra pain cover after even the simplest dental.) Yeah, it's not something to be skimped on unless there's a liver/kidney issue that warrants more caution, but I think it still can be worth the risk as long as it doesn't have to be long term. And really it's the vet's area of expertise, it shouldn't be relied on that the owner has to push for it, imo. :?

Have a good night and I hope things are even sunnier tomorrow for you all. :)

So happy to see such a good update on Lillian. Lovely photo too! Keep up the nomming Lillian, but leave some for Henry.

Don't think the vet bill comment was me, as I think that a bunny returning to health is just such a joy. I do sympathise with the cost though!

I think it was me who made the comment about the cost. In no way was I suggesting that you shouldn't be doing exactly what you have done. I did exactly the same when my Bridge Bun Cherry broke her leg. Complications meant the final bill was over £2500 and it took me a year to pay off the final part as I don't have a credit card. I was just empathising with you over how quickly the amount can increase.

So glad Lillian is nomming again. Your wife sounds like a very good nurse. It must be a relief to have someone at home to care for Lillian when you have to go to work. I live alone and hate leaving a poorly rabbit (or any other pet).

Topping up the vibes xxx

I think it was me who made the comment about the cost. In no way was I suggesting that you shouldn't be doing exactly what you have done. I did exactly the same when my Bridge Bun Cherry broke her leg. Complications meant the final bill was over £2500 and it took me a year to pay off the final part as I don't have a credit card. I was just empathising with you over how quickly the amount can increase.

So glad Lillian is nomming again. Your wife sounds like a very good nurse. It must be a relief to have someone at home to care for Lillian when you have to go to work. I live alone and hate leaving a poorly rabbit (or any other pet).

Topping up the vibes xxx

Thank you Rhianna and my sincere apologies for confusing you with another RUer. I completely agree with you and sympathise totally with you about the costs and I am in awe of you for utter devotion and dedication to the wellbeing of your bridge bun Cherry. It is hard leaving poorly buns - we both work, me full time, Jan part so we have some flexibility. It is comforting to know that rabbits welfare is that much more better for people like you in the world, and everybun else on this forum who selflessly put the needs of our furry companions before our own. We don't blink or hesitate to put our rabbits first and in my view, that is why we love rabbits to a degree that some people may not understand.
Lillian is out on the garden again cramming in grass and any other green looking triffid she can find so there's definately input which we didn't have a few days ago.
Thank you for your continued vibes. xx

Another evening, another vet trip! We're going to get an invite to the staff xmas party there before long.
Concern for Lillian remains despite the relative positivity of Tuesday. Lillian didn't really show much appetite the last 2 days and I'm sort of in a paranoid bracket now, so I made a decidion today to go back to the vet and get further advice.
Same vet as Monday and I did point out that the injection of opiates wiped Lillian out so we didn't go down that route again.
She sounded Lillians gut - it sounded better than monday and she was pleased on Monday. So there is obviously stuff going on. She took her temperature and it was good. She's lost a bit more weight - but they want her to lose weight - only I'd rather not have it done in this way.
Options? We could admit her and they'll monitor tonight. I binned that idea. Lillian has spent enough time there and she's really stressed out. Her place of recovery in my opinion is home and she feels comfortable there. So I made that call. So we took an increase in metacam (twice a day), some more metaclopthingy, and a new med to help with the upper tract called r-something or other.
I handed over my card (it's wearing out now) and we got home, Lillian scampered into her little area and proceeded to stuff her face with dandelion leaves from last night, carrot tops and is now merrily bouncing about on the garden eating overhanging triffid leaves and grass.
It's good to watch but I'm just taking this a few hours at a time. I'm somewhat exhausted. I'm in bed by 8pm every night and worry myself to sleep each night.
Hopefully these new meds and regieme will help Lillian start to develop her appetite and I'll update you all either Friday or Saturday.
Thank you all again
Craig xx

Oh Craig :( What a horrible stressful time you're having with Lillian. Still tonight she's eating lots so let's be positive and hope that she's on the mend.

I expect the meds she has been given as well as the increase in dose of Metacam is Metoclopramide, which works on the upper GI tract increasing the rate of gastric emptying, and Ranitidine (Zantac) which is both an anti GI tract ulcer med and also has prokinetic effects on the lower GI tract.

I really hope that Lillian will improve significantly over the next 24 hours xx

Oh Craig, I'm really sorry Lillian is still giving cause for concern. However, I agree with Omi that there are positives in that she is eating more this evening and that her gut seems to be working better.

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree but I can't help wondering whether the pain relief dosage is the key here. IME, I've found some vets to be very conservative in prescribing the metacam dosage and go for the lower end for their weight range. When the bunny continues to struggle, they've wanted to go straight to vetergesic rather than adjusting the metacam.

I mention this because my Fudgie had a severe stasis episode a couple of years ago. I dutifully gave her the meds and CC but after a week she was no better. She got to a point where she was loudly tooth grinding and starting to rip her fur out. I took her back to the vet. Unfortunately it was a locum and not my usual vet. Despite the worrying developments she initially wanted to keep the metacam at the same dosage (and I knew it was at the low end for her weight). I insisted we try going higher for a couple of days and the vet eventually agreed. That small increase made a huge difference and she started to make a rapid recovery.

Hopefully that additional metacam dosage per day will be what Lillian needs. If she still causes concern and you have to go back to the vet, it might be worth asking about the metacam dosage, the point she's currently on at her weight scale and whether it could or should be adjusted.

In the meantime I'm sending lots of nose rubs for Lillian and Henry. Plus speedy recovery vibes for your credit card!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I expect the meds she has been given as well as the increase in dose of Metacam is Metoclopramide, which works on the upper GI tract increasing the rate of gastric emptying, and Ranitidine (Zantac) which is both an anti GI tract ulcer med and also has prokinetic effects on the lower GI tract.

I really hope that Lillian will improve significantly over the next 24 hours xx

Yup - Rantidine. Well done Jane.
Lillian is out on the lawn. Not a huge amount of energy but she's nibbling stuff.

Back