• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Lillian please - U/D 9th July

U/D on Lillian. Only quick one.
She's out of surgery. Surgery went extremely well and vet very pleased at how well it went and Lillian awake and looking for food.
Vet wasn't happy that her fur is all matted with urine and her underbelly area is extremely sore and inflamed and they are trying to remove the matted fur but it's causing huge discomfort. She will need flamzine. Vet have me a hard time (rightly) about her weight and the utine scalding so I'll have to accept that.
I'll update further tonight when I have more time. And thank you all for your vibes for Lillian- they certainly helped her pull through this op. Xx

U/D on Lillian. Only quick one.
She's out of surgery. Surgery went extremely well and vet very pleased at how well it went and Lillian awake and looking for food.
Vet wasn't happy that her fur is all matted with urine and her underbelly area is extremely sore and inflamed and they are trying to remove the matted fur but it's causing huge discomfort. She will need flamzine. Vet have me a hard time (rightly) about her weight and the utine scalding so I'll have to accept that.
I'll update further tonight when I have more time. And thank you all for your vibes for Lillian- they certainly helped her pull through this op. Xx
I'm so glad she made it through the op okay :) that's the main thing xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I agree with Graciee. She seems to have come through the op well and that is very positive :D

Sorry I wasn't on yesterday but you and Lillian have continued to be in my thoughts. Sending lots of vibes from Bertieville. xx

That's really good news that she's come though ok, sending loads of healing vibes for your girl xxx

Thank you all so much for your continued following and vibes. They really mean alot. I've just rung the vets (6:25) and got a very brief update as the vet is in consultation. She said that Lillian is in some discomfort due to the urine scald but no other update other than that. I have to go along and drop of the antibiotics we were given yesterday for Lillian so we will have a more detailed chat if we can. The vet has promised to ring us after 8pm anyway.
It's been a rollercoaster day for me, and I was quite tearful on the phone when the vet rang this morning to tell me Lillian had come out of the anaesthetic. That was my first goal for today and just wanted to hear the vet say that she had come round.
The fact she was nosing round the cage was a positive and looking to show interest in food also good.
But as I mentioned in my earlier update, I think there is a degree of concern that I had allowed Lillian to endure the bladder stone for too long and been complacent with my care and observations with Lillian. It has created a considerable area of soreness and some loss of skin and hair due to the severe matting and this will continue to have to be monitored. I think this is the vets primary concern at the moment.
As Lillians guardian, I have to accept critisism from a professional and I must address how I need to improve my vigilance and awareness for my rabbits. It saddens me that I have inadvertantly caused Lillian to be in such pain.
To further compound the days events, I got a call from my wife to say she had fallen at work, hitting her face and head on the ground and was being taken to hospital in the morning. She spent 4 hours in A&E waiting and getting patched up and I then had to leave work to drive and collect her as the colleague who took my wife to the hospital had to leave to get back to work.
I feel a sense of relief that Lillian has come through the operation - that was and is my main concern, because of the risks involved with surgery and the complicatons afterwards. It now seems that the main post op concern is the damage to the skin from Lillian's urine burns.
The plan is for her to come home tomorrow - and I've got some work to do on their living area to make it all flat so Lillian does not have to stretch or leap and put any pressure on her wound.
To compound things more, I am spending most of next week away on a long planned trip with my friends and we have elisted the help of our rabbit sitter to help my wife with the dailly routine of applying cream and meds for Lillian. This also further increases my anxiety levels because it is something I should be doing and I feel as if I am renaging on my responsibilities to Lillian. I may still end up cancelling my trip because I am totally stressed out. I've not eaten all day, I've had a couple of hours sleep and my thoughts are constantly on Lillian and how she must be feeeling - spending a night in the vet hospital on her own in a strange place and having just had an incredibly invasive operation. I would swap places in a heartbeat with her to have her back, well and back to her inquisitve and cheeky self. She is not the easiest bun - her confidence is not great and she doesn't trust hoomans. So this will all take a bit of a toll on her.
It's not about me - I hope I haven't made this update all about 'how I feel' - but Lillian for the time being, is comfortable and I'll update again later when I've spoken in detail to the vet and I'll be told again about her diet and how this has created the problem.
Thank you all again - on behalf of Lillian - who is so lucky to have so many of you sending vibes and wishing her well.
Craig x

Pleased to hear that Lillian came through the op well. I hope your wife is okay too. It’s so hard to keep on top of bunny’s health. I hate to think how long Williow had urine scald on her leg before I noticed it. Buns are a devil at hiding their discomfort too. Willow’s a bun that doesn’t like being picked up and so I don’t check her daily as the amount of resentment and stress it causes is so great. That’s a failing on my part. I also know she’s overweight and despite reducing her pellets there seems to have been little change. I’m only telling you this so that you realise that like me and many other bunny owners, we’re not perfect but we do our best. We learn from each episode and improve how we care for our bunnies from that knowledge. Sending you hugs and healing vibes to your wife and Lillian x

Pleased to hear that Lillian came through the op well. I hope your wife is okay too. It’s so hard to keep on top of bunny’s health. I hate to think how long Williow had urine scald on her leg before I noticed it. Buns are a devil at hiding their discomfort too. Willow’s a bun that doesn’t like being picked up and so I don’t check her daily as the amount of resentment and stress it causes is so great. That’s a failing on my part. I also know she’s overweight and despite reducing her pellets there seems to have been little change. I’m only telling you this so that you realise that like me and many other bunny owners, we’re not perfect but we do our best. We learn from each episode and improve how we care for our bunnies from that knowledge. Sending you hugs and healing vibes to your wife and Lillian x

Thank you Glingle - you've brought me to tears. I am so grateful for your words. They make me feel just a bit more human now. Just got bck from dropping meds off at the vet hospital and was extremely surprised when the receptionist said "you'll never guess - my rabbit had exactly the same thing Lillian had" - I said "what, a bladder stone?" and she said yes. I said "but you work here!". So even vet receptionists pet bunnies can get the same problems - and she said her bun made a complete recovery. So I am heartened and comforted by all the kind supportive words from everybun here.
The vet will call me soon with an update.
Thank you. xx

So pleased to hear that she's doing ok Craig, and is hopefully coming home tomorrow. Hope you wife is ok now, and really hope you do manage to get away for a few days, think it will do you good. Hope you get a good update later xxxx

Thank you Glingle - you've brought me to tears. I am so grateful for your words. They make me feel just a bit more human now. Just got bck from dropping meds off at the vet hospital and was extremely surprised when the receptionist said "you'll never guess - my rabbit had exactly the same thing Lillian had" - I said "what, a bladder stone?" and she said yes. I said "but you work here!". So even vet receptionists pet bunnies can get the same problems - and she said her bun made a complete recovery. So I am heartened and comforted by all the kind supportive words from everybun here.
The vet will call me soon with an update.
Thank you. xx
Don't be so hard on yourself :( honestly Clementine weights 4.5kg - 3.6kg seems to be her healthy weight (which is still a lot [emoji38] she really is a big bun though..) and I cannot work our how to get her to weigh less! It's not always straightforward or black and white. And urine scold is just a pain, Clementine never had it when she couldn't move her back legs because well I was up on the hour every hour cleaning her, Idk how I manged it or to avoid it looking back but my point is... Unless you knew and could take those steps there's no way you could have done anything about it! Bunnies are right terrors for hiding this stuff! We aren't perfect, we're all human and Lillian has done amazingly well and you can get on top of this now :) you can't react to a situation that hasn't presented itself, as far as you was aware Lillian was fine a few days ago. And it's not because you weren't looking hard enough it's because bunnies are nightmares [emoji38]

I hope your wife is okay, sounds like a nasty fall :(

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear she came through her op and will be on the road to recovery. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's fall, sounds a nasty one. Vibes for all and a 'chin up' for you, Craig. We do our best with our little ones and when we find there's something more we need to do, we do it. Bunnies really do hide so much about their conditions that we tend to miss as you noted with the vet receptionist. Your lovely Lillian is truly so lucky to have you. Remember though that you must take care of you so you can take care of her. :) xxxx

Back