• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wire mesh on the floor of runs?

Graciee

Staff member
Sorry this is probably gunna sound silly, I'm emailing someone about a run and I asked if it has a mesh base and they said no as they aren't recommended because they can cause sore feet... (I know about sore hocks etc)

My question is... Doesn't it have to be wire underneath though? Otherwise they could dig out or predators could dig in? Idk if im being so dumb here or something I just assumed the bottom would have to be mesh if I'm putting it on grass...? They said they have an anti dig skirt which is basically wire mesh that goes on the inside or outside of the run (omlet runs have this too but just on the outside) but surely that's not secure enough?

In an ideal world I'd be digging up the grass laying mesh and putting turf over the top... But that's not a temporary quick solution for now..

So yea thoughts on this?

Ideally the white buns could have the run via a tube to the grass instead of being on concrete again.. But I assumed I'd need the mesh floor...!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Most runs don't have mesh bases - it is something you have to add yourself to stop bunnies digging out or predators digging in. It can be much coarser mesh than you would use for the sides or roof so that it is less likely to affect their feet, especially if it is on flat ground. You could use a separate / loose piece of thick / larger hole weldmesh and just stand the run on top. A bag of compost or sand can even out any dips in the grass to make it more feet-friendly - so they don't catch toes etc when running around.

I have used large dog crates without the tray in as safe spaces outside on grass - a couple of 4' ones can be joined to form a reasonable size run. They can also be moved as needed and packed away when not needed.

Most runs don't have mesh bases - it is something you have to add yourself to stop bunnies digging out or predators digging in. It can be much coarser mesh than you would use for the sides or roof so that it is less likely to affect their feet, especially if it is on flat ground. You could use a separate / loose piece of thick / larger hole weldmesh and just stand the run on top. A bag of compost or sand can even out any dips in the grass to make it more feet-friendly - so they don't catch toes etc when running around.

I have used large dog crates without the tray in as safe spaces outside on grass - a couple of 4' ones can be joined to form a reasonable size run. They can also be moved as needed and packed away when not needed.

Ah thank you!

Have any suggestions on where to get one? Just in case you know of anywhere good :)

I got some welded mesh for the floor, 12g but I'm a bit worried, it seems kinda sharp? :( it's ripped holes in clothes walking past it.. [emoji51]

The ends are sharp, so will need bending over. I would suggest turfing over it, or using play bark to create a soft surface.

Would they eat the play bark?

My quad were on it and I didn’t see them eating it, and 2 of them were terrible chewers. It has to be play bark not ornamental bark as the ornamental bark is treated and often dyed.

Joey and Boo has used playbark in her garden for the bunnies:thumb:

Mine have a run on 1"x1/2" weldmesh (can't remember the gauge) and they run, sit, etc. on it happily, but have plenty of other places to go too. Our grass isn't the flattest, but it's not so bad. Nethie Charlie lasted almost 11 years on the same sort of mesh base :) We used to move him around in the bottom of the run if he wouldn't go back in the hutch at moving-around-the-lawn time!

My run has weld mesh on the bottom. I am amazed that runs are sold without anything to stop rabbits digging out as it can take them literally ten minutes to dig a hole!

My lot have some earth and some paving slabs on some of the mesh but seem happy to hop about on the mesh only bits.

Back