• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Administering Metacam

Beapig

Mama Doe
Sorry if I'm repeating myself from previous posts, but is it okay to administer metacam to try and help relieve stasis symptoms before going to the vet? Jellybean was absolutely fine a couple of hours ago, but I just went to feed them and she was outside shivering and grinding her teeth. A couple of hours before she was running around happy as can be. She doesn't appear to be bloated but is off her food and clearly uncomfortable.

Should I give her some metacam to see if it will pass by itself?

I would say take her to the vet, just in case it's not stasis. Can you warm her up in the meantime. A nice warm hot water bottle for her to snuggle into.

Vibes for jellybean from us

With it being a Veterinary Only Prescription medication, legally no-one but a qualified vet can advise on this. I have had cases where I’ve called a vet to ask and they have given the okay to administer and other cases where they would want the pet seen first.

There are some cases where giving metacam could do more harm and so why only a vet can make that call

Hope everything’s okay!

With it being a Veterinary Only Prescription medication, legally no-one but a qualified vet can advise on this. I have had cases where I’ve called a vet to ask and they have given the okay to administer and other cases where they would want the pet seen first.

There are some cases where giving metacam could do more harm and so why only a vet can make that call

Hope everything’s okay!

Ditto to all of the above. I hope that Jellybean will be OK X

Thank you very much everyone for the advice! Thankfully some brambles brought her appetite back and she is behaving normally again now. When I went outside to feed her there was a foul chemical smell in the air and I wonder if it made her feel sick - it made me feel sick but I don't know if rabbits can be affected that way. There's a green outside the front of my house and they spray weedkiller on the edges - maybe that's what the smell was (grrrr). Thank god she seems okay now.

Thank you very much everyone for the advice! Thankfully some brambles brought her appetite back and she is behaving normally again now. When I went outside to feed her there was a foul chemical smell in the air and I wonder if it made her feel sick - it made me feel sick but I don't know if rabbits can be affected that way. There's a green outside the front of my house and they spray weedkiller on the edges - maybe that's what the smell was (grrrr). Thank god she seems okay now.

Glad she seems to be OK now. I would monitor her output as what comes out is just as important as what is going in :)

Back