• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet Habit HELP!

LisaS

New Kit
Hello,

I have two German Lop bonded bunnies around 6 months old. One male, one female. Both neutered/spayed quite early due to their frisky behaviour!

They live in a bunny shed with access to a large run. In their shed they have 2 litter trays, a hutch/bed (it’s a dog kennel really) along with other various things like hay racks, toys etc.

They use their litter trays and always have and don’t wee or poo on the floor anywhere but they also use their bed ALOT to wee and poo. I assume they go in there of a night time but can’t be sure.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to try to get them to stop weeing in their bed? They seem to be doing it more lately and am having to clean out their bed daily. I thought I might be making it TOO clean for them so left it a few days each time but it made no difference at all. The paper at the bottom of their bed is literally sodden wet if I leave it days.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Lisa

Hi welcome to RU ! When you say bed, have you put something soft in there, such as a fleece blanket, if so some bunnies really like to pee on them. A lot of folk on here use newspaper in litter trays, with hay on top, as bunnies love to "chew and poo". Low sided boxes, like underbed storage boxes make good litter trays also, again with newspaper and hay on top.

They have a dog kennel in their shed which I put newspaper and hay/straw in - this is what I refer to as their bed so they have somewhere warm to go in the winter. I have tried putting a litter tray in there also but they still go on the straw/newspaper and make it so wet that I have to change the whole thing daily. They shred up the paper and kick everything out too!

They are litter trained as if I shut their bed up (kennel) during the day then they will go in their litter tray no problem.

It is difficult but rabbits don't need a "bed" if they are in a shed and they will use whatever has hay or straw in as a toilet. You really need to clean your rabbits out each day so flies are not attracted. Rabbits will often sleep in their litter trays and as long as they are kept clean it doesn't cause any problems.

I would get a decent size tray (eg large litter tray, dog crate plastic tray, underbed storage box - whatever fits) and put it in the bed area, full of hay. If that's where they want to go, it will make it easier to clean out daily. They will probably eat the hay while they are in there, as well.

You could try some wood or paper cat litter under the hay to absorb the moisture, and paper underneath to make it easier to tip out.

Last edited:
Back