• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which litter?

Casco

Mama Doe
I always used megazorb with newspaper on top and a layer of hay which worked really well as I could lift the newspaper, tip the poop & hay into my garden bin and just scoop out the wet megazorb and replace. The rabbits then decided it was great fun to rip up the newspaper and megazorb isn’t ideal to be directly in contact with the fur of an angora cross so I switched to wood pellets. I have recently found out said angora cross has sore hocks so wanted to find a softer litter than the wood pellets incase they are irritating his sore hocks. Currently using a bag of fitch I use for my hamster but not sure if this is compostable and has also jumped up in price recently & I believe is often out of stock so I’d rather not use it long term.

I need a soft litter that won’t get stuck in angora fur and can be put in the garden waste bin - does anything fit the bill?

I always used megazorb with newspaper on top and a layer of hay which worked really well as I could lift the newspaper, tip the poop & hay into my garden bin and just scoop out the wet megazorb and replace. The rabbits then decided it was great fun to rip up the newspaper and megazorb isn’t ideal to be directly in contact with the fur of an angora cross so I switched to wood pellets. I have recently found out said angora cross has sore hocks so wanted to find a softer litter than the wood pellets incase they are irritating his sore hocks. Currently using a bag of fitch I use for my hamster but not sure if this is compostable and has also jumped up in price recently & I believe is often out of stock so I’d rather not use it long term.

I need a soft litter that won’t get stuck in angora fur and can be put in the garden waste bin - does anything fit the bill?
dear casco,--simply put,-I use timothy grasses-for the hay bin and liter box,-this way they can chew and poop at their leisure -with the understanding the liter box is changed/cleaned accordingly-,your garden is perfect for a compost pile,imagine organic gardening.--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa

yeah, I'd use hay also.

I like using newspaper with hay on top but since your buns shred newspaper then maybe just hay.

I use megazorb with hay on top & the whole lot goes in the green bin. Apart from when Boo evicts all the litter from the trays I never see the megazorb until emptying time as the hay layer is thick. I've never used newspaper until very recently - this is just for the dog bed / litter tray as it has holes in the base

I think I’ll use a thicker layer of hay then, although still with a little bit of litter under it to absorb wee as they are in my living room so I don’t want any wee smells! If the hay is thicker it won’t matter too much which litter I use. I have a bag of the soft hay from timothyhay.co.uk which the bunnies aren’t so keen on but it would be good in their litter tray, nice and soft.

Hi, i started using megazorb after having a break from using it. Ive read a lot of positives about using it and yes it is very absorbent but i find it stains my rabbits feet. Has anyone else found that? It only happens with megazorb i find then it puts me off using it.

Didn’t notice any staining when I used it but I did always have a layer of newspaper on top so they weren’t in direct contact with the megazorb (until they decided to start ripping up the newspaper :roll: :?)

Back