• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neville - dental and kidney disease (molar extraction, missing molars)

There are some different recovery foods to try:
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/guinea-pig-...d-c-665_667/science-selective-recovery-p-5643
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp...197/oxbow-critical-care-for-herbivores-p-2426
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp.../burgess-excel-dualcare-recovery-diet-p-20934

Some like the one with fenugreek. Some are just not happy with being handled or syringe fed. It is important to find something they will take if they are not eating for themselves (and your vet has confirmed there is no blockage). Gut meds may also be needed to keep things moving through.

I now tend to go for soaking their usual pellets until they go to mush, add a good dollop of puree (baby food - apple or pear (in the square tubs), or veg in pouches / jars) to make it smoother. Add enough water to make it syringeable. You can vary the flavour to suit the rabbit.

Just a little update for anyone who wants to read. Neville never did pick up eating properly again - he’s surviving on hamster food (don’t ask, vet said as a last resort to try muesli to tempt him to get some calories in and that’s all I could source) and some parsley treat rings, the odd bit of grass.

Vet thinks it’s kidneys and that teeth were a side issue. He said his skeleton had 2-3 times the amount
Of calcium it should and that he’s probably in pain, he spoke about the arteries etc calcifying. He’s trying some pain relief and ranitidine in case of ulcers to see if there’s any improvement, if not it may be time to say goodbye :( vet says it wouldn’t be unkind or unfair and he always thinks it’s best to do it early (before he’s in an emergency situation). I’m just struggling with judging his quality of life - not eating isn’t great, he sits under my bed most of the day, he’ll hop around a little 1-2 times a day. He grooms a bit but looks very scruffy. He’s extremely distressed when I give him meds - trying to bite me - I think that it probably hurts when hold him. I think I know it’s time, but I’m not 100% ok with the decision. Would I ever be?

:cry: I’m so sorry :cry: the right time is so hard to judge sometimes :cry: I agree with the vet in that I think it’s better to take the decision early rather than too late.

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Aw what a shame! Most bunnies like Muesli although we are on pellets now. You could try him with some Chudley's Rabbit Royale but if he seems very miserable then it would be best to say Goodbye.

I don't think it's really possible to be 100% sure without leaving it too late. In my experience if you are seriously considering put to sleep then it's probably the right thing to do; it's just a very hard thing to accept.

I'm so sorry that you and Neville are in this position. I know whatever choice you make will be made with love and care.

Thank you to you all for giving me that little bit of perspective. I think I know the right thing to do is to let him go. It just feels like such a big responsibility.

Thank you to you all for giving me that little bit of perspective. I think I know the right thing to do is to let him go. It just feels like such a big responsibility.

It certainly is and it is the hardest thing we, as Bunny care givers, have to do. But it is also the final act of love and compassion we can give to our Bunny. I only wish it were possible to offer humans the option of a dignified passing to prevent further suffering. I know that is what I would want for myself.

You are being exceptionally selfless and brave, putting the needs of your Bunny before your own feelings. It's a cliche, but sometimes, loving a Bunny means having to let them go

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))) xx

It certainly is and it is the hardest thing we, as Bunny care givers, have to do. But it is also the final act of love and compassion we can give to our Bunny. I only wish it were possible to offer humans the option of a dignified passing to prevent further suffering. I know that is what I would want for myself.

You are being exceptionally selfless and brave, putting the needs of your Bunny before your own feelings. It's a cliche, but sometimes, loving a Bunny means having to let them go

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))) xx

Thank you so much.

Back