• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting fed up of stasis

He's just had another shot of painkiller to last him overnight. He doesn't have the greatest appetite and he hasn't done any further poops since then, so while I might be cautiously optimistic I'm not going to call it won until he's laying his usual monstrous offerings.

I am indeed.

It has been a week since Dash had his stasis. Once he passed some poos/material he was only nibbling food that he normally ate quickly. I continued to give critical care for another day and made sure he has extra fluids to keep his GI contents very moist so it is easier for him to pass his poos while his intestines heal.
After almost three days of Bailey being so ill he must be exhausted too. Sending you both some more positive vibes.

Last edited:
Thanks. He's eating and has passed more normal poos. He's clearly in discomfort though, although that's probably not surprising given the punishment his gut has gone through. He's got a morning appointment at the vets but I'll go over and speak to them as soon as they open.

(I wonder if they can give me a shot of morphine as well, I've got a stonking headache...)

Sending lots more vibes and hugs, I hope the vet can help with the discomfort, and that your headache goes soon too!

He's good! The vet ended up not seeing him as he was improving by the time they had opened and she thought that dragging him over for painkillers would be worse than just letting him get on with it. He's abandoned the snugglesafe, kept eating and pooping and is making up for lost snoozing time. I can't tell you guys how relieved I am, I honestly thought I was going to be down two rabbits in a week.

He's good! The vet ended up not seeing him as he was improving by the time they had opened and she thought that dragging him over for painkillers would be worse than just letting him get on with it. He's abandoned the snugglesafe, kept eating and pooping and is making up for lost snoozing time. I can't tell you guys how relieved I am, I honestly thought I was going to be down two rabbits in a week.

What a relief ! I hope that he remains well now xx

good news!!your dedication and persistence saved his life. i know he did not give up because you were by his side.

Haven't seen too many poops since last night but he's currently out on grass happy as Larry (even got a binky!)

For bonus points, I accidentally catapulted my phone across the garden and dented it- which seems to have made it start working properly and I retrieved all the photos I had stuck on there!

From left to right- Bailey, Ciara, Pandora :)
PQUTPpC.jpg

Thanks. Bailey has a tendency towards such a scowly face lol

He went back out in his aviary today. Pandora, who has been sad and lethargic on the top floor all week, has brightened up and come back down to the middle floor to chill on the other side of the mesh with him, which is great to see. She pretends she doesn't like these stinky buns taking over her house but when it comes down to it... It must have been so confusing for her to have Ciara and then Bailey vanish.

Back