Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding/chasing advice

Default Bonding/chasing advice

Evening all,

I recently took in bunny no6 and they been together for 4 weeks now. All seems ok after the initial humping etc...

They are together 24/7 and all is well. But they are in a hutch and run combo and currently I have them in the hutch as every time I open the run up the doe gets territorial and starts the chasing, fur pulling and being a general nuisance. After that the buck won’t go near her for a day or so.

What is the best course of action? Thanks in advance!

Mama Doe

I assume the doe is neutered? If she was done recently, it may just be a matter of giving it more time.
    Meanwhile, I would be tempted to give them some time out individually in the run so they get some exercise. 4 weeks is a long time to be shut in a hutch.
    Or is there anywhere else that is neutral territory that you can let them both out together?

Ah sorry! They have independent time in the run of course! She was done In January so should be well settled?

They bonded indoors and were fine and they are ok in a run too. Just the hutch run combo is a struggle

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I assume the doe is neutered? If she was done recently, it may just be a matter of giving it more time.
    Meanwhile, I would be tempted to give them some time out individually in the run so they get some exercise. 4 weeks is a long time to be shut in a hutch.
    Or is there anywhere else that is neutral territory that you can let them both out together?
    I agree Shimmer.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Did the hutch/run combo belong to the doe before the bonding?

I agree with finding a way that they can get some time out of the hutch either together or separately. It could be that she's frustrated from being in a small space for so long and gets overexcited when she comes out.

Click the photo for my etsy shop, or follow me on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Did the hutch/run combo belong to the doe before the bonding?

I agree with finding a way that they can get some time out of the hutch either together or separately. It could be that she's frustrated from being in a small space for so long and gets overexcited when she comes out.
    It's a brand new one. I'm thinking it's dominance. I opened the run up today and removed any tubes/toys etc and left an empty clean space, thus far she's been OK....

great news!

yes, my two have to almost have 'two' of everything otherwise they get territorial. the only thing I don't have two of is litter tray & waterbowl. but I always have to buy two toys, two hidey places, two this two that, or they get super territorial and upset.
    rabbits are like angels; they have a way of finding people that need them, and filling an emptiness they didn't even know they had.

Update: So last night the doe for no apparent reason battered him. Fur everywhere, pig screams, the whole shabang. He was that scared he wet himself.

I've split them now and at a total loss. I've never seen the level of aggression she showed and I don't trust her with him

I'm so sorry it's not gone well after the bit of improvement you saw.
    What's the plan now?