• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nebulising

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Daphne is having to be nebuliser twice daily due to inflamed nasal passages. She's got steroid (salbutamol) and antiseptic (F10).

Hopefully she'll improve otherwise she'll need xrays and swabs.

She's is at least still bright, alert, active and hungry.

in regards to nebulising I'm putting her in carrier with a towel over the top.... is this suitable?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nebuliser/ing

Daphne is having to be nebuliser twice daily due to inflamed nasal passages. She's got steroid (salbutamol) and antiseptic (F10).

Hopefully she'll improve otherwise she'll need xrays and swabs.

She's is at least still bright, alert, active and hungry.

in regards to nebulising I'm putting her in carrier with a towel over the top.... is this suitable?

dear daphnephoebe,--I would be concerned about upper respiratory infection,.-antibiotic/probiotics may be in order...--I suffer from chronic copd,using two separate inhalers, advair inhaler[salmeterol/fluticasone]-which is a steroid/anti-inflamatory--,and emergency inhaler[ipratropium bromide/levosalbutamol]-which opens bronchial airways,,i am not aware salbutamol product is safe for rabbits,--a nasal culture must be completed/chest radiogragh--then appropriate meds prescribed,- http://www.medirabbit.com -please inform as able,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond -usa:love::wave:

Last edited:
I don't know about nebulising but it does sound sensible - I know they can be done in carriers & a towel is what I'd use. Hopefully someone with experience will be along very soon but in the meantime loads of vibes for your beautiful Daphne. I hope Phoebe is looking after her xx

She has been to our exotic vets (respected & well known one in the UK). Her chest is clear which is why they want to start with anti inflammatory, steroid and antibacterial treatments first.

J&B nice to "see" you again.

The carrier seemed to work and she wasn't too stressed about it, happily munched food for 20 mins while I done each treatment.

e00c2185ecba64211750d965032c48f2.jpg

I'm sorry to see Daphne is unwell but I am glad that the carrier method worked well. All my love to your Daphne and Phoebe xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Always lovely to see you DP. I know you're missed when you're not around. I'm glad Daphne took her treatment well xx

Sorry to hear that Daphne is a bit poorly. Re Nebulising, it is fine to construct a 'Nebulising Chamber' as you have done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpVeWhJ8RA

Some Rabbits are OK with me using a mask though, my Dara being one of them

CCSN2O2.jpg

Sending lots of vibes for Daphne and I agree with the others, you are very much missed on RU x

Most of mine who've needed it I could use a mask, like Jane has. With one who needed longer treatments I created a chamber out of a plastic box. I made a hole for the nebuliser piece and a few holes for ventilation in the lid. This seemed to be more effective than a carrier.

I really rate it, even just sailine can help them when their congested. I've also used it in rats and guinea pigs.

Can anyone recommend a suitable nebuliser please? Fizzgig currently has an upper RTI and is on a course of baytril. I wondered if it was worth giving this a try?

thanks

Jo

Back