• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

not a happy bunny

bellabinky

New Kit
I got my bunny’s today and I can tell one of them is scared, she hides
Away, has one ear down all the time
And thumps on the hutch floor

They were very scared and nervous when they arrived, I am not pleased that the pet store just put them in a small cardboard box without air holes (it was just a stock room box)

I am hoping that cuddles and handling her when she’s settled will help but again I don’t think they were handled very much

Am I doing the right thing by handling her or does she need time to settle
In?

Personally I would give them some time to settle before trying to handle them.

Whenever I've adopted a bunny who is initially nervous and unsettled, I usually avoid directly interacting with them for the first two or three days. I'll just potter around as normal, almost acting as though they're not there (they do get fed and watered and their litter trays cleaned!) That gives them an opportunity to suss me out and reassure themselves I'm not a threat. After a couple of days, I will sit on the floor with a book and let them come to me in their own time. Again, I wouldn't interact with them at first, it's just a case of allowing them to learn to get comfortable with me so I don't want to spook them by trying to do too much too soon. Once they're more comfortable being near me, I'll try and offer them some food/treats from my hand. Eventually as they get more comfortable I will try and stroke them.

With a lot of rabbits, you have to give them time before they're comfortable with any handling. I think the important thing is to go at their pace and not try and force a bond too quickly. Also your bunnies haven't been with you for long so it's understandable they're feeling a little overwhelmed at being in a new environment. But they will settle in time.

Congratulations on your new arrivals [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on getting your new bunnies. Make sure your bunny has a hiding spot and don't make any quick moves. Time will tell if your bunny will become a cuddle bunny. more independent or anywhere in between. I have often had bunnies who started out as being very independent who later became my cuddle bunnies.

Hope your bunnies settle in soon. I would keep an eye on them but not handle too much for the first few days. Are they both eating and drinking ok?

They are both eating and drinking fine and also have a hidey hole with lots of hay, fresh and water

I am just about to check on them, they are going for their vaccinations today, however I will give them a few days to settle

Their run comes today as does their bigger hutch which also has a hidey hole

Personally I would give them some time to settle before trying to handle them.

Whenever I've adopted a bunny who is initially nervous and unsettled, I usually avoid directly interacting with them for the first two or three days. I'll just potter around as normal, almost acting as though they're not there (they do get fed and watered and their litter trays cleaned!) That gives them an opportunity to suss me out and reassure themselves I'm not a threat. After a couple of days, I will sit on the floor with a book and let them come to me in their own time. Again, I wouldn't interact with them at first, it's just a case of allowing them to learn to get comfortable with me so I don't want to spook them by trying to do too much too soon. Once they're more comfortable being near me, I'll try and offer them some food/treats from my hand. Eventually as they get more comfortable I will try and stroke them.

With a lot of rabbits, you have to give them time before they're comfortable with any handling. I think the important thing is to go at their pace and not try and force a bond too quickly. Also your bunnies haven't been with you for long so it's understandable they're feeling a little overwhelmed at being in a new environment. But they will settle in time.

Congratulations on your new arrivals [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I agree with this entirely.

Back