• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grunting

Comet

New Kit
So I went to give Comet some lovely fresh leafy greens tonight and as I did he made some cute grunt noises. I was stroking him also and he seemed so content. Why did he make this noise? Does anyone else’s rabbit do this? Another quick one as well, how long does it take for your rabbit get used to being picked up. I’m still working on it but it’s taking ages. I’ve finally bunny proofed my garden and checked the plants and he has free roam of the full garden now supervised. If not supervised he is in the run. This has made him further content as well.

Since Rambo died Lola has been spending more time with us and has started grunting when she's excited. She's ten years old and had NEVER made a noise before. She's also started thumping a lot more.
I'm absolutely certain that she's recognised we communicate audibly and is doing her best to communicate in our language now that we're her only companions.

As for the lifting, none of my rabbits have ever gotten used to it to the extent that they don't struggle against it. To make things easier I leave the carrier in their space 24/7 and regularly put their food in it so they're happy enough to hop on in when I want them to. This often negates the need to pick them up, and if I do still need to pick them up it's easier to get them from the carrier than chase them around trying to grab them.

Sounds like you're doing a great job with comet :thumb: Have you thought about getting him a friend?

Since Rambo died Lola has been spending more time with us and has started grunting when she's excited. She's ten years old and had NEVER made a noise before. She's also started thumping a lot more.
I'm absolutely certain that she's recognised we communicate audibly and is doing her best to communicate in our language now that we're her only companions.

As for the lifting, none of my rabbits have ever gotten used to it to the extent that they don't struggle against it. To make things easier I leave the carrier in their space 24/7 and regularly put their food in it so they're happy enough to hop on in when I want them to. This often negates the need to pick them up, and if I do still need to pick them up it's easier to get them from the carrier than chase them around trying to grab them.

Sounds like you're doing a great job with comet :thumb: Have you thought about getting him a friend?

Yeah I’d love to get Comet a friend. There’s a couple of issues though first being that Comet is not neutered yet. Secondly he’s only 5 months old so still a baby. Not sure when is right and how because we don’t have a massive amount of space to slowly introduce them in separate cages.

Standard sized rabbits can be neutered at around 3 months so you may well be able to get him fixed now, and he could be bonded around 6 weeks after that I believe.
Have you got any rescues nearby that could help with bonding and/or advice/lending you a cage?

It sounds like you're doing a fab job regardless - he's a lucky bun to get some free ranging time and you obviously want the best for him :love:

So I went to give Comet some lovely fresh leafy greens tonight and as I did he made some cute grunt noises. I was stroking him also and he seemed so content. Why did he make this noise? Does anyone else’s rabbit do this? Another quick one as well, how long does it take for your rabbit get used to being picked up. I’m still working on it but it’s taking ages. I’ve finally bunny proofed my garden and checked the plants and he has free roam of the full garden now supervised. If not supervised he is in the run. This has made him further content as well.

none of mine have ever liked being picked up.

none of mine have ever liked being picked up.
I've had 2 out of 7 that liked being picked up, cuddled, held, but they showed me that all on their own [emoji38][emoji38] I only pick up when I have to for meds, or bums checks for Atticus [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back