• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd2 advice please

Eliza39

Young Bun
We bought 2, 14 week old boys recently and 3 days later one passed suddenly. He was jaundice on arrival at the vets so vhd2 was suspected. The vet said it's likely he contracted it agt the breeders as we only had him 3 days when he showed symptoms and he died on day 5 after 2 vet visits.

It's now been 11 days since Timmy passed, his brother is doing fine, he had the vhd2 vaccine 10 days ago. The breeder vaccinated against vhd1 and mixy and all of this happened before we could get the boys in for their vhd2 which was booked for the Friday after we got them.

Our vet said the incubation period is 9 to 10 days so he said seeing as Beau was last in contact with Timmy 11 days ago it's looking good he hasn't contracted it. If we go by when Timmy first displayed symptoms its 13 days. Can I relax yet? I'm a bag of nerves and still so upset about Timmy.

The vet said we had to take Beau our of the hutch he shared with Timmy, it was a new omlet rabbit hutch. It's been washed and cleaned. We bought Beau a new wooden hutch for the mean time. When will be safe to let him go back into the omlet?

How long does it take for the vhd2 vaccine to protect them?

Also the breeder assures me they had mixy and vhd1, I've asked for a vet card so that myself and vet know for sure the date they had them. She keeps saying she will try and provide me with this but hasnt. Last night she text saying she would ask her ver again but hee ver visits her house with having so many rabbits so isnt given vet cards with vaccine dates. I'm beginning to worry they weren't vaccinated at all and I've explained to her I need reassurance Beau is protected as I dont want to vaccine him again if he doesnt need it. She said she will get back to me. She knows about Timmy, and all the expense weve had because of this, never mind the upset its caused. She has told me this weekend one of her older rabbits now has vhd2, where as she said previously all rabbits were fine so had no responsibility for Timmy's death. I just feel sad shes not took any responsibility and apologised or offered to even refund the cost we paid for him to help with all the bills we've had to pay the vet, new hutch etc. Maybe I expect too much but I know I would in her shoes as I'd feel awful.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you lost Timmy :( You've done all you can for Beau by getting him vaccinated, I hope he has immunity by now. What disinfectant did you use to clean the Omlet accommodation? Only some vet strength disinfectants are active against removing VHD2, verkon S (hope I've spelt that/got the name right!) and Anigene are two I know of. Regarding the vaccination history, I would too want proof. I understand vets may not give her cards if she has a large number of rabbits but they should be able to print out proof quite easily for her, they could also email this to you or you could phone the vets to check yourself but the breeder would need to give the vets consent due to data protection since the rabbits were registered under her details

We bought 2, 14 week old boys recently and 3 days later one passed suddenly. He was jaundice on arrival at the vets so vhd2 was suspected. The vet said it's likely he contracted it agt the breeders as we only had him 3 days when he showed symptoms and he died on day 5 after 2 vet visits.

It's now been 11 days since Timmy passed, his brother is doing fine, he had the vhd2 vaccine 10 days ago. The breeder vaccinated against vhd1 and mixy and all of this happened before we could get the boys in for their vhd2 which was booked for the Friday after we got them.

Our vet said the incubation period is 9 to 10 days so he said seeing as Beau was last in contact with Timmy 11 days ago it's looking good he hasn't contracted it. If we go by when Timmy first displayed symptoms its 13 days. Can I relax yet? I'm a bag of nerves and still so upset about Timmy.

The vet said we had to take Beau our of the hutch he shared with Timmy, it was a new omlet rabbit hutch. It's been washed and cleaned. We bought Beau a new wooden hutch for the mean time. When will be safe to let him go back into the omlet?

How long does it take for the vhd2 vaccine to protect them?

Also the breeder assures me they had mixy and vhd1, I've asked for a vet card so that myself and vet know for sure the date they had them. She keeps saying she will try and provide me with this but hasnt. Last night she text saying she would ask her ver again but hee ver visits her house with having so many rabbits so isnt given vet cards with vaccine dates. I'm beginning to worry they weren't vaccinated at all and I've explained to her I need reassurance Beau is protected as I dont want to vaccine him again if he doesnt need it. She said she will get back to me. She knows about Timmy, and all the expense weve had because of this, never mind the upset its caused. She has told me this weekend one of her older rabbits now has vhd2, where as she said previously all rabbits were fine so had no responsibility for Timmy's death. I just feel sad shes not took any responsibility and apologised or offered to even refund the cost we paid for him to help with all the bills we've had to pay the vet, new hutch etc. Maybe I expect too much but I know I would in her shoes as I'd feel awful.

What a tragic experience, I am so sorry. The Breeder should be in 'Lock Down' and neither Breeding more Rabbits or selling any. You may find the information on these links helpful to read

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

What a tragic experience, I am so sorry. The Breeder should be in 'Lock Down' and neither Breeding more Rabbits or selling any. You may find the information on these links helpful to read

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

Thank you. I agree to be honest.

She has 1 rabbit left from the litter and is asking if I want to reserve the remaining bunny for a friend for Beau but I'm guessing she means for payment. I politely declined. I wouldn't spend anymore money on one of her rabbits. This experience has been awful.

She advertises on pets4homes as a rescue lady but she breeds too. Usually the larger breeds but she took this rabbit in and she was pregnant so she had the litter and has since sold the mother with one of the babies and now there's just 1 poor bunny left. They are dwarf lops. So she didnt call herself a breeeder because when she breeds irs usually the large rabbits and this was an unexpected litter. Shes still selling for profit and should vaccinate against all diseases but every breeder I have spoken to, barely any vaccinate even against mixy and vhd1. It's crazy. This breeder said ahe doesnt vaccinate the adults only babies against mixy and vhd1. I dont understand that but it's all due to cost, noone will pay £60 a rabbit plus vaccinations. Yet you could buy a rabbit and end up going through the heart ache we have. Awful.

Thank you for your advice.

Thank you.

Hubby used some kind of disinfectant and weve left it to dry but today Anigene arrived so we are cleaning it this weekend with that and then let it dry.

The vet said wait 200 days before using it again, one said 3 weeks. I am so confused.

Thank you.

Hubby used some kind of disinfectant and weve left it to dry but today Anigene arrived so we are cleaning it this weekend with that and then let it dry.

The vet said wait 200 days before using it again, one said 3 weeks. I am so confused.

The fact is that there is not enough definitive evidence re time scales. The RWAF recommend 200 days before introducing any other Rabbits to an environment where there has been a RHD2 outbreak

BUT the article states it 'may be safer to do so before that'. Personally I'd err on the side of caution.............

Then Frances Harcourt Brown (Retired highly respected Rabbit Savvy Vet) gives this information

How long can the virus live for?
RHD viruses (including RHDV2) can live outside the rabbit for some time. The length of time depends whether the virus is protected by organic material, such body parts, faeces or blood. It has been shown that the virus can live for up to 3 months in decaying rabbit carcasses but survives for less than a month on the ground. If the ground is exposed to sunlight the virus survives for less than 10 days. Exposure to ultraviolet light kills most organism.

Full article here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Thank you for that information.

I'm an absolute nervous wreck with my remaining rabbit. I get anxious every time I go out to check on him. Its pouring with rain here so I cant have him out in his run to check how hes doing, bad timing this awful UK weather. Weve got rain forecast for days yet. I wish I could sit in the garden in water proof clothes and sit and watch him all day but irs not practical lol.

Thank you for that information.

I'm an absolute nervous wreck with my remaining rabbit. I get anxious every time I go out to check on him. Its pouring with rain here so I cant have him out in his run to check how hes doing, bad timing this awful UK weather. Weve got rain forecast for days yet. I wish I could sit in the garden in water proof clothes and sit and watch him all day but irs not practical lol.

Would having him as a 'House Rabbit' be an option ? Especially as he is likely to be a single Rabbit for some time. Having a House Rabbit can mean we develop a much closer relationship with our Rabbit and we are able to pick up on any abnormal behaviour very quickly. Just a thought........ x

Would having him as a 'House Rabbit' be an option ? Especially as he is likely to be a single Rabbit for some time. Having a House Rabbit can mean we develop a much closer relationship with our Rabbit and we are able to pick up on any abnormal behaviour very quickly. Just a thought........ x

I did consider it but having 2 cats it's not ideal and I wouldn't want Beau to be frightened. Last thing I'd want for him is to feel scared around our cats. Hubby says weve enough with 3 teenagers in the house lol.

Back