• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Diary - Number 5 and Lola

I love this story! Oh my gosh... No. 5 is too cute! I love his ears. I would have been tempted to embrace the number and called him 'Johnny 5' after a certain robot movie :lol:

So Obi managed to escape last night. I'm not entirely sure how it went because the webcam didn't pick it up but my best guess is he moved the entire pen a small amount then used the flex in the window panel to squeeze through. He was probably trying to get to the bag of food because the bag was shredded and there was about 5kg of food on the floor :roll:.

I haven't got a good photo of the setup how it was but you can see on the far left there is a tall area of panels with a bag of food behind. In places they're cable tied to heavy furniture to keep the whole thing sturdy.
66779180_10157810720094363_1134176201447833600_o.jpg

OH spotted him on his way back from the loo this morning. I ran in and Lola was just approaching Obi (in her territory ). I scooped him up, put him back in, herded Lola out the room and set to work re-securing the run. I said to OH "thank god you happened to be walking past, he must have literally JUST got out. A few more seconds and he and Lola could have done each other some serious damage, it's not even neutral ground!"
Checked the webcam footage. It didn't catch him getting out but it did show that he'd been out for at least 40 minutes and he and Lola were completely fine with each other as far as I could see (there was a bit where they ran off out the room together away from the webcam). He did try and mount her once but she just hopped out of his way.

In the last week I've gone from feeling about as bad as I could about this whole thing to feeling absolutely fantastic. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So Obi the escape artist has discovered he can climb. This morning at 5.30 he escaped again.

I raised the walls again and pegged a blanket over the top to stop him but forgot to clip the panels together so this afternoon he jumped straight through the gap :roll:
Anyway, I logged in to bun cam from work and couldn't see him in his pen so I ran home, only to find the two of them snuggled up under the table in the old rabbit room.
8IHVEiK.jpg

Had to split them because he's still a bit humpy but can not wait until they can be together. He was neutered about a week back so not long now!

So Obi the escape artist has discovered he can climb. This morning at 5.30 he escaped again.

I raised the walls again and pegged a blanket over the top to stop him but forgot to clip the panels together so this afternoon he jumped straight through the gap :roll:
Anyway, I logged in to bun cam from work and couldn't see him in his pen so I ran home, only to find the two of them snuggled up under the table in the old rabbit room.
8IHVEiK.jpg

Had to split them because he's still a bit humpy but can not wait until they can be together. He was neutered about a week back so not long now!

What wonderful photos :love:

Sunday was too soon for the bonding. He did some pretty gentle trying to mount her without chasing her when she hopped off and largely ignored her but then he decided he was going to have her whether she wanted him to or not and started going to town so I had to pick him off and put him home.
His little pen is feeling increasingly cruel so we've been shutting her out and letting him run around for a while in the evenings. He's an absolute menace. He gets up in the windowsils and knocks everything down, he pulled all our board games off their shelf so he could get in there, any space that looks dark or too small for him to reasonably fit he makes his mission to occupy. Here he is after climbing up on the back of the sofa.

68701586_10157938766254363_6173308171310858240_n.jpg

Sunday was too soon for the bonding. He did some pretty gentle trying to mount her without chasing her when she hopped off and largely ignored her but then he decided he was going to have her whether she wanted him to or not and started going to town so I had to pick him off and put him home.
His little pen is feeling increasingly cruel so we've been shutting her out and letting him run around for a while in the evenings. He's an absolute menace. He gets up in the windowsils and knocks everything down, he pulled all our board games off their shelf so he could get in there, any space that looks dark or too small for him to reasonably fit he makes his mission to occupy. Here he is after climbing up on the back of the sofa.

68701586_10157938766254363_6173308171310858240_n.jpg

What a lovely family photo :love:

He's still too horny for proper bonding but we've been breaking all the rules and letting them out together in the lounge (her territory)
No fighting at all and they both seem at ease with each other. Off camping tomorrow but hopefully when we get back in another week he'll have chilled out enough they can be full time buds.

IMG-20190831-184334.jpg

I’m so glad everything is going well :love: they look lovely together :love: I love his ears :love:

Lola went in to his pen while he was out last night and found all her old toys she never cared for.
Suffice to say I have never seen a rabbit look so displeased (I swear there was a little recoil of horror and disgust when she realised that it was in fact HER carrot tree he'd been destroying) and she spent about half an hour chinning every surface of everything that ever belonged to her before I had to go in and get her :lol:

Lola went in to his pen while he was out last night and found all her old toys she never cared for.
Suffice to say I have never seen a rabbit look so displeased (I swear there was a little recoil of horror and disgust when she realised that it was in fact HER carrot tree he'd been destroying) and she spent about half an hour chinning every surface of everything that ever belonged to her before I had to go in and get her :lol:

:lol:

As of last night they officially live together. I wouldn't call them bonded but she planted herself in his pen yesterday and refused to leave when we went to bed, even fenugreek crunchies weren't enough to lure her out.

Thinking I'll leave them in there until Sunday and in the meantime do some extra bunny proofing so they can free range when I can supervise on Sunday.
Lola is so well behaved we didn't have to do much to make the whole flat safe for her but he's an absolute monster - all the cables need trunking, surfaces need clearing, plants need removing and gaps need filling! Think it will be a while before they can live free range 24/7.

post images

They're bonded enough that they've had free run of the living room for the last week or so.

She'll never have the kind of bond with him that she had with her sister and she doesn't love him as much as she loved Eli or Mack when they were bonded in.
She grooms him quite a lot but he rarely returns the favour which really upsets me because she's such a little sweetheart all I wanted was for her to have somebun to show her as much love as she shows everyone. But they lie down together quite a lot and neither of them is causing the other any grief so it's all fine, and she has us for affection when we're home.

Unfortunately he has a health problem that occasionally gives him liquid poop all over the carpet so that's not been ideal, and he's an absolute terror in the house. He's fine with the carpets, skirting and wallpaper which were my main concerns, but he's eaten half a plastic stegosaurus and a the handles of a pair of scissors, ripped up a box of tissues and spread them all over the room, he's got on top of my chest of drawers and dug scratch marks all over it, he gets in the windowsills and pushes the contents out, etc etc, but at least he's having fun!

So basically I've changed my mind on this him being the perfect rabbit at just the right time thing :lol:

Back