• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Somethings wrong with Dillons nose

I have finally got close to Dillon today. I have noticed this on his nose and I dont know what it is. It does not seem sore and he has washed it but it has not moved. Please has anyone any ideas I do not want to take him to the vets on top of everything else today. The bonder says he has not had a fit whilst away (I thought he had maybe fit and caught his nose) Please has anyone any idea?

IMG_20190609_161610[1] by mark andra, on Flickr

I have finally got close to Dillon today. I have noticed this on his nose and I dont know what it is. It does not seem sore and he has washed it but it has not moved. Please has anyone any ideas I do not want to take him to the vets on top of everything else today. The bonder says he has not had a fit whilst away (I thought he had maybe fit and caught his nose) Please has anyone any idea?

IMG_20190609_161610[1] by mark andra, on Flickr

Will he let you touch the area to see if the 'flakes' come off ?

Are his genitals looking OK ?

He will let me touch his nose, no it wont flake off.

His genitals look ok, however he is now mad as a bag of frogs as I have picked him up - treat time again I think.

To me it looks like he has just got some sort of sticky substance on his nose that has dried. It does not look like a scab or anything like Treponematosis. I am a bit out of the loop about him, but has he had a bout of 'Snuffles' recently ? Is the fur on the inner sides of his front paws nice and clean and dry, no stickiness/wetness ?

To me it looks like he has just got some sort of sticky substance on his nose that has dried. It does not look like a scab or anything like Treponematosis. I am a bit out of the loop about him, but has he had a bout of 'Snuffles' recently ? Is the fur on the inner sides of his front paws nice and clean and dry, no stickiness/wetness ?

Thank you for your help on this, no he has no stickiness, the blobs above his nose are not sticky - to my mind they look like 3 blobs of candle wax. Most odd.

Oh Dilly :( Tethra has had Treponema and his nose lumps were nothing like this. Have you got photos from the bonder, so you can check if they are visible then?

I may be wrong but I saw something similar on another website and they were ticks. As I say it probably isn't but I thought I should mention it. I hope he is all right. xx

Oh Dilly :( Tethra has had Treponema and his nose lumps were nothing like this. Have you got photos from the bonder, so you can check if they are visible then?

The only photos from the bonder were the ones J&B posted for me. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?474199-A-friend-for-Dillon/page50

Dillys nose looks fine on those but the photos were taken before the 26th May. I know she had other bonds/ guest bunnies at the same time but my bunnies would not have access to them surely. I will take them to the vets today. Thank you

Last edited:
The only photos from the bonder were the ones J&B posted for me. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?474199-A-friend-for-Dillon/page50

Dillys nose looks fine on those but the photos were taken before the 26th May. I know she had other bonds/ guest bunnies at the same time but my bunnies would not have access to them surely. I will take them to the vets today. Thank you

Is it just stuck to the fur ? IE not on the skin ? Could it be dried snot (sorry !) from Susan ? Have you checked the fur on the inner side of Susan's front paws to see if the fur is at all damp/matted/sticky ?

Just want to wish you and Dilly lots of good wishes for the vets visit today, really hope it goes well, and the nosey problem is nothing to worry about xxx

Sending lots of best wishes for the vet visit today. I think many of us will be interested to know what the vet thinks it is.

Bonkers, I am flummoxed, I moved the buns outside (into a small area) to give me chance to clean out their house. Dillons nose is clean and dry. There are no lumps on it or anything. I have brushed him with a nit comb to see if i could find anything resembling ticks and nothing. I am waiting for Sheryl to get into work at 9.30am, she is the only one I will take my bunnies too.
Here are photos of noses this morning,

IMG_20190610_091342[1] by mark andra, on Flickr

Bonkers, I am flummoxed, I moved the buns outside (into a small area) to give me chance to clean out their house. Dillons nose is clean and dry. There are no lumps on it or anything. I have brushed him with a nit comb to see if i could find anything resembling ticks and nothing. I am waiting for Sheryl to get into work at 9.30am, she is the only one I will take my bunnies too.
Here are photos of noses this morning,

IMG_20190610_091342[1] by mark andra, on Flickr

Bonkers indeed! Could you discuss the problem with Sheryl and possibly email the photo?

I have to say I think Omi’s idea of sending a photo in is a good one. I’m wondering if it was some liquid from food, snot or something that he had on his nose. I’m not sure I’d take them to the vets now it’s not there, I’d wait and see (if it was me)

I have emailed a plethora of photos of Dillys nose to her. I then rang reception and said I had sent the emails. She is hopefully going to get back to me this afternoon (approx 1.30) but I have an appointment so hope she will ring earlier.

I have to say I think Omi’s idea of sending a photo in is a good one. I’m wondering if it was some liquid from food, snot or something that he had on his nose. I’m not sure I’d take them to the vets now it’s not there, I’d wait and see (if it was me)

I wouldn't either. Good luck. Hope they call soon

What was your vet's opinion about Dillon's nose?

No answer to my email but I have been checking him constantly - there is nothing in his fur (there was mention of ticks) and I have been using a nit come and checking visually. There has been no reassurance around his nose. Both his and Susans noses are clean and good.
Input and output is fine, so I have left it. Do you think I should chase her up on this Omi?

Back