• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RAW 8th June - Toys for Rabbits

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Bunnies love to play and forage but they're also quite destructive so shop bought toys can work out quite expensive. We'd like to see your ideas for homemade toys (remember to use bunny safe materials as they're likely to be nibbled!). We'll then include this thread in the housing section as inspiration.

Just a couple of ideas to get you started:
https://best4bunny.com/easy-make-rabbit-toys-bunnies-will-love/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2014/10/28/slotted-cardboard-rabbit-toys/

We will select a winner at random from all who participate in this activity. This will close at 2pm on 14th June and the prize is a box of goodies from Happy Bunny Club so get your thinking caps on! https://www.happybunnyclub.com/

Small plastic plant pots make great toys that can just be thrown around. It's a good use for those pots that accumulate when you have bought something at the garden centre - or ask around as gardeners tend to accumulate them. Try different sizes to see which your bunny prefers. They are pretty indestructible.

Bigger pots can be filled with hay and used for 'potting' if it is big enough for bunny to sit in comfortably.

Pruned apple or pear tree twigs from the garden, as long as not sprayed with chemicals, can tie them in bunches or make fancy shape like a star tied together. Or get a small pot and poke them through the bottom with hay in. Another thing could put hay in empty toilet roll tube and poke the twigs through them to, you could mix in some forage collected from your garden, rose heads, pansies, herbs, dandelions etc as long as bunny safe and not sprayed with pesticides

We use lot's of different cardboard boxes, stuff them with hay and herbs/pellets. We cut different sized holes in them for the bunnies to get the food out.

Toilet roll tubes come in very handy too! Again stuff with hay etc and close both ends. Or cut them up into 'rings' and place them over each other to create a ball which can be stuffed with goodies. You can also place them upright in a big bowl and scatter pellets down them so bunnies have to pick them up/knock them over for the food.

Use some string and pegs to hang across the bunnies accommodation and peg veg to them to encourage the rabbits to reach up, although this must be supervised to avoid bunnies eating the string or chewing the plastic pegs!!

Brilliant ideas, Liz. I love the washing line idea (I might have to string one up for myself with bars of chocolate dangling! [emoji23]). I wonder if you could use wooden pegs too?

Brilliant ideas, Liz. I love the washing line idea (I might have to string one up for myself with bars of chocolate dangling! [emoji23]). I wonder if you could use wooden pegs too?

Ah good idea!! My pegs are wooden actually, think habit made me write plastic haha!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I was thinking of the old fashioned pegs without springs (I don't know if those are the ones you have?). Are they called dolly pegs?

Final prize announcement for tonight and the winner is.....

Mini lop 1

Please PM Graciee your name/address so that she can pass on to Happybunny club. :)

Thank you xxx

I’m sorry to report I still haven’t heard anything back from Happy Bunny Club, which is disappointing to say the least :cry: If I haven’t heard anything in the next few days I will personally send you a prize.

I’m sorry to report I still haven’t heard anything back from Happy Bunny Club, which is disappointing to say the least :cry: If I haven’t heard anything in the next few days I will personally send you a prize.

I still haven’t received any reply from Happy Bunny Club, despite emailing and trying to contact them through Facebook. Very disappointing. So I will personally sort out a prize to be sent tomorrow.

I’ve now received a reply from Happy Bunny club who say they believe the box was dispatched but they will look into it and get back to me.

Back