Thread: Bunny with possible Hay stuck in Nose

Wise Old Thumper

Default Bunny with possible Hay stuck in Nose

My friend has just popped in to say Page has something stuck in her nose. She can hear a whistling sound. Has anyone got any advice? Friend has gone to work now but should be home in time to take her to the Vets this afternoon. Page has not long ago had a tear duct flush which wasn't really successful in stopping her eye to water. I have spelled the name correctly, as friend's OH insisted it was spelled this way.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    My friend has just popped in to say Page has something stuck in her nose. She can hear a whistling sound. Has anyone got any advice? Friend has gone to work now but should be home in time to take her to the Vets this afternoon. Page has not long ago had a tear duct flush which wasn't really successful in stopping her eye to water. I have spelled the name correctly, as friend's OH insisted it was spelled this way.
    It may be that the 'whistling' is not a FB stuck up her nose but all part of the problems she has with her tear ducts. Both may well be Dental related- ie elongated tooth roots. If the tooth roots overgrow they can press on the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) and prevent it from draining. No amount of flushing will resolve this, it is a chronic condition that would require daily management. Tooth root elongation can only be diagnosed via skull radiographs. Tooth roots can also penetrate into the nasal cavities causing a snotty nose, noisy breathing, sneezing etc.

The Bunny does need to be examined by a Vet today, to include considering the possibility of dental disease and not 'just' infection x

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    It may be that the 'whistling' is not a FB stuck up her nose but all part of the problems she has with her tear ducts. Both may well be Dental related- ie elongated tooth roots. If the tooth roots overgrow they can press on the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) and prevent it from draining. No amount of flushing will resolve this, it is a chronic condition that would require daily management. Tooth root elongation can only be diagnosed via skull radiographs. Tooth roots can also penetrate into the nasal cavities causing a snotty nose, noisy breathing, sneezing etc.

The Bunny does need to be examined by a Vet today, to include considering the possibility of dental disease and not 'just' infection x
    Thanks Jane. I will tell J what you have said later when she finishes work. The cause could be a lack of hay but they won't take it seriously! Page is now 5.5.